Thread: Stephen Hill And Training Camp ...

All League

Stephen Hill And Training Camp ...

Couldn't have asked for a better opening game from him and hope that
    it continues. If it does one of the biggest factors will be all the WR injuries
    that happened in training camp. Remember for the final 3 weeks of camp
    Holmes, Kerley & Schilens all were out and it forced Hill into being with
    the #1's. Which gave him daily reps (lessons) against Revis & Cromartie
    and let's be honest he won't face better CB's all year

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Great point!

Sanjay Lal, the new WRs coach, could also play a part. A piece on SNY showed how he is a stickler for details (depth of route, cutting properly etc..)

All League
    Absolutely agree the reps at #1 and the corners he faced in camp all helped Hill.

Maybe the offense looked so sh*t in camp because the D is excellent ...except against CJ Spiller

All Pro
    The key will be how our O adapts to D adjustments ... as opponents start to get tape of Hill and adjust to what he brings, we need to start exploiting our other weapons and not become dependent upon doing the same things over and over.

Keller at full health can only help on that, and if D's start to keep a guy deep to protect vs. Hill, Holmes, Kerley et al will get a lot more space underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    The key will be how our O adapts to D adjustments ... as opponents start to get tape of Hill and adjust to what he brings, we need to start exploiting our other weapons and not become dependent upon doing the same things over and over.

Keller at full health can only help on that, and if D's start to keep a guy deep to protect vs. Hill, Holmes, Kerley et al will get a lot more space underneath.
    A healthy keller, holmes, hill, schillens, and kerley? Sounds good to me.

I'm really feeling excited about our team, and specifically our offense.

If I was santonio I would be licking my chops at what Hill and kerley just did. You would have to think that Buffalo gameplanned to double holmes and "let our younger guys beat them" and Hill has made it clear to the league that he can exploit single coverage. Yes it was against one rookie CB and one 2nd year CB, but players dont get as wide open as hill was without having elite athleticism. Plus, this was done with Keller as a decoy.

As for the big picture, SI has an article about calvin johnson and he said his first year every play he made was based on athleticism only, that he had no clue what he was doing as far as routes etc, but that he dedicated himself to improving in that area and that is why he is what he is. Hill seems like a determined player, and has the size/speed to be a top echelon WR. I truly hope he improves as the year goes on, and really gets into the nuanaces of the position, because he could easily be the downfield target that we (and especially sanchez) have been waiting for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If I was santonio I would be licking my chops at what Hill and kerley just did. You would have to think that Buffalo gameplanned to double holmes and "let our younger guys beat them" and Hill has made it clear to the league that he can exploit single coverage. Yes it was against one rookie CB and one 2nd year CB, but players dont get as wide open as hill was without having elite athleticism. Plus, this was done with Keller as a decoy.

As for the big picture, SI has an article about calvin johnson and he said his first year every play he made was based on athleticism only, that he had no clue what he was doing as far as routes etc, but that he dedicated himself to improving in that area and that is why he is what he is. Hill seems like a determined player, and has the size/speed to be a top echelon WR. I truly hope he improves as the year goes on, and really gets into the nuanaces of the position, because he could easily be the downfield target that we (and especially sanchez) have been waiting for.
    AMEN!!!!

Veteran
    He played faster and fluid compared to PS. Maybe it was due to the Bills playing a lot of man compared to zone, I don't know. I think in PS teams were playing zone on him so that may have been why he didn't play fast and not fluid. It will be interesting how he develops during the season when he gets brackets and such.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    He played faster and fluid compared to PS. Maybe it was due to the Bills playing a lot of man compared to zone, I don't know. I think in PS teams were playing zone on him so that may have been why he didn't play fast and not fluid. It will be interesting how he develops during the season when he gets brackets and such.
    Its a pretty established trend of Rookie WRs having a few break out games, before getting bottled up by opposing defenses. Once teams have game tape on him they can shut him down by giving him different looks and trying to confuse/frustrate him.

Its part of being a rookie and getting used to the NFL. And Hill is really raw so I fully expect him to disappear for the majority of the season but doesn't mean he's bad.

All Pro

Running game will open up as well......

Jets Insider VIP

Hill seems dedicated, which is a major plus. He can be beastly in the future if he continues on his craft and adds another 10 lbs. He's listed at 6'4" and 215. He can get up to 225 and still maintain his speed and athleticism. He's a legit 21. He won't turn 22 until next April. The world is ahead of him if he wants it bad enough.
    Last edited by SMC; 09-11-2012 at 10:25 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJtSHJCKyM

I like this drill. Hill seems like a hard worker. I forgot where I heard it one of the announcers pointed out all the top wr's in the league now fitz. megatron and etc, saying the diva wr's are a thing of the past. Sanjay Lal was a great pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Hill would have been with the #1's regardless of the injuries....he was drafted to be a starter, in fact when they were contemplating moving up for him, both Rex and Tannenbaum specifically asked Sanjah Lal "Can you have him ready for Buffalo"

The #1 reason for Hill's success is his skill set, his work ethic, the coaching of Sanjah Lal, and the mentorship of Santonio Holmes......going against Cro/Revis sure doesn't hurt either.

You would have to think that Buffalo gameplanned to double holmes and "let our younger guys beat them" and Hill has made it clear to the league that he can exploit single coverage.
    Interesting quip from Tony Sparano post game......he mentioned exactly what you're mentioning here, specifically on Hill's first TD, and the flea flicker, both of those plays were drawn up to hit Holmes deep, but Sanchez recognized that they were shading their coverage towards Tone, so he targeted Hill who was in single coverage.

I suspect in the next few weeks we will see Hill get more attention and thus leaving Holmes open for more big plays. If we excute then it'll be a pick your poison scenario for other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    I suspect in the next few weeks we will see Hill get more attention and thus leaving Holmes open for more big plays. If we excute then it'll be a pick your poison scenario for other teams.
    It's also liable to open things up for the run game, as they won't be able to stick 8 in the box on every down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    It's also liable to open things up for the run game, as they won't be able to stick 8 in the box on every down.
    Bingo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Absolutely correct sir! How could I forget.

We've heard Rex talk a lot about making opposing defensive co-ordinators gameplan for the Wildcat.

...if there's one thing coming out of Sunday, that may be even more beneficial than the actual performance we got from Hill, it's the ramifications of his play that will now force opposing defensive co-ordinators to game plan for the game breaking potential he brings to the field on every down.

Hill's not liable to have the statistical impact he had against the Bills every week....but that one performance, may enable his presence to be a very impactful one week in and week out, for the foreseeable future.