Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers 9/16 Pre Game Thread

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Steelers 9/16 Pre Game Thread

The Steelers will be a great test for our offensive line as there defensive scheme causes problems for everyone in the league except apparently the Broncos. We played them twice in the 2010-2011 season and that should bold well for us as we should have a grasp of how they like to play even if they have a new OC in Haley.

We will need Revis if the defense is going to contend with speedsters Wallace, Sanders and Brown. I just watched the Steelers game on NFL Rewind and saw that they often spread the Broncos out in 3 and 4 WR sets. They like throwing deep with crossing routes. Big Ben makes plays with his arm and his leg and while his offensive line isn't that good we have to prove that we can not only rattle him but sack him in key third down situations. That coupled with whether Revis will play causes great concern for me. While our OL played extremely well against the much respected front 4 of the Bills, the Steelers blitz packages can make any OL look foolish. We will need a solid run game to offset the Steelers pass rush. I suspect the Tebow factor won't be as effective as it was in Denver last year, but will see.

Thoughts....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pre Game Thread?

Pre Game Thread!

I like this.

The tough part about this game, other than the obvious fact that the Steelers are a pretty good team and perennial playoff contenders, is that they'll be at home and they're coming off a loss so they will play with a sense of urgency to not go 0-2 to start the year.

I actually like our chances because, despite the gashing that Spiller did a couple of times yesterday, I think we'll be good against the rush and I think our secondary is potentially incredible this year. Revis is a question mark right now, but our 4 starters (Revis, Cro, Landry, Bell) could eventually prove to be the best secondary the Jets have EVER started. A very complementary group that lets Landry and Bell disrupt and destroy while Revis and Cro lock down WRs. If we can hold the rushing in check to a degree I think we'll be very effective against the Steelers passing game.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-10-2012 at 11:06 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Pre Game Thread?

Pre Game Thread!

I like this.

The tough part about this game, other than the obvious fact that the Steelers are a pretty good team and perennial playoff contenders, is that they'll be at home and they're coming off a loss so they will play with a sense of urgency to not go 0-2 to start the year.

I actually like our chances because, despite the gashing that Spiller did a couple of times yesterday, I think we'll be good against the rush and I think our secondary is potentially incredible this year. Revis is a question mark right now, but our 4 starters (Revis, Cro, Landry, Bell) could eventually prove to be the best secondary the Jets have EVER started. A very complementary group that lets Landry and Bell disrupt and destroy while Revis and Cro lock down WRs. If we can hold the rushing in check to a degree I think we'll be very effective against the Steelers passing game.
    My pre game thoughts: I want to have sex with our secondary.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good thread!

I hope that we get Revis and Pouha fully healthy. Jets' run d took a nose dive without Big Bo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    5 some?

Landry will hit you hard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    You can be Cromartie's 18th impregnation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We want to not be clowns much more than the steelers want not to be 0-2. Our D is a given, our O has a lot more then they have shown.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    We want to not be clowns much more than the steelers want not to be 0-2. Our D is a given, our O has a lot more then they have shown.
    I love this theme for the year. Many fear clowns. Bozo's

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is definitely playing and he'll be matched up with Brown (the most shifty of Pitt's WRs) and Cro will get Wallace. That's a pretty good matchup. My concern is Heath Miller, who looked good the other day. Pitt's running game is always a threat as well, but hopefully getting Po'uha back will help with that.

Pitt also has some injuries -- Harrison, the RT -- that bare watching.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed on the matchups...looking back at the playoff loss to the steelers, the defense really stopped the Pitts passing attack as ben had less then 150 yards passing, unfortunately mendenhall gashed up.

Wallace is a decent matchup for cro, as he is a straight line speed guy. Revis (god I hope he plays) can play brown, and hopefully our improved safety play can help against heath.

There is no way Pitts isnt going to come out in a quick passing offense...their oline is basically in shambles and redman/dwyer are not really big threats, so I would expect a lot of WR screens, and quick hits.

Personally Id love to see us with a 4 man front, rotating in wilk, coples, ellis, pouha, and pace....with 2 LBs (harris with either BT or Scott) and 5 DBs. Let wilk and coples use their athleticism to get upfield, and chase plays from the back side, while the extra DBs focus on stopping big gains. This is a situation where bell/landry should really be valuabe as they excel close to the LOS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Revis is definitely playing and he'll be matched up with Brown (the most shifty of Pitt's WRs) and Cro will get Wallace. That's a pretty good matchup. My concern is Heath Miller, who looked good the other day. Pitt's running game is always a threat as well, but hopefully getting Po'uha back will help with that.

Pitt also has some injuries -- Harrison, the RT -- that bare watching.
    What makes you sure he is playing ? most concussions are automatic no go's.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    7x World champs. These are not the Bills, better get better real quick.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Revis is definitely playing.
    Where did you get your medical degree?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Where did you get your medical degree?
    He's not a doctor, but he plays one on TV.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    What makes you sure he is playing ? most concussions are automatic no go's.
    Because it's being called a "minor" concussion, his baseline concussion test results were reportedly low and, more importantly, I just can't see him sitting out a game in his hometown and college stadium. I know concussions are treated delicately these days, but I can't help but think that the media is trying its hardest to make this a big story and that it would be a major upset if he didn't play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because it's being called a "minor" concussion, his baseline concussion test results were reportedly low and, more importantly, I just can't see him sitting out a game in his hometown and college stadium. I know concussions are treated delicately these days, but I can't help but think that the media is trying its hardest to make this a big story and that it would be a major upset if he didn't play.
    Everything you said about the "mildness" and test results is correct, but that being said, him wanting to play is unfortunately 100% irrelevant.

Once diagnosed with a concussion, the decision is out of the players or coaches hands. The player MUST pass the test or he cant even begin to be considered to be active. If revis passes his test, THEN, he, rex etc can sit down and make a decision....where at that point, I would assume he plays.

If he cant pass the test, then nothing else matters. Definitely a harsh reality for jet fans losing their best player for a key game, but there is no doubt this is the correct way for the league to handle head injuries.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    7x World champs. These are not the Bills, better get better real quick.
    They also aren't world champs . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    But, I agree, it was a stretch for me to say he'd "definitely" be playing. Let's just say I'm overly optimistic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For all the pomp and circumstance the Pittsburgh defense gets-- they're really not quite the same as they've been historically. Timmons and Woodley have been gigantic disappointments from the time the Jets last saw them. Harrison is really the only LB to be scared of right now, and he didn't play week 1, may not be 100% for week 2.

Ryan Clark will be a monster upgrade for the Steelers secondary, and it will allow Troy to make plays all over the field (he was unable to do this in Clark's absence week 1). The Jets need to take a page out of the Manning playbook and go hurry-up as much as possible-- the Steelers had no answers to the hurry up offense.

On the other side of the ball, the Steelers offensive line is tremendously banged up. This will be a great opportunity for guys like Mo and Coples to flex their muscles and collapse the pocket. The Steelers running backs are pedestrian at best right now, and I really believe the Jets will bottle them up. The Steelers have a very deep receiving group, and it will be tough to contain them for 60 minutes without Revis on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    For all the pomp and circumstance the Pittsburgh defense gets-- they're really not quite the same as they've been historically. Timmons and Woodley have been gigantic disappointments from the time the Jets last saw them. Harrison is really the only LB to be scared of right now, and he didn't play week 1, may not be 100% for week 2.

Ryan Clark will be a monster upgrade for the Steelers secondary, and it will allow Troy to make plays all over the field (he was unable to do this in Clark's absence week 1). The Jets need to take a page out of the Manning playbook and go hurry-up as much as possible-- the Steelers had no answers to the hurry up offense.

On the other side of the ball, the Steelers offensive line is tremendously banged up. This will be a great opportunity for guys like Mo and Coples to flex their muscles and collapse the pocket. The Steelers running backs are pedestrian at best right now, and I really believe the Jets will bottle them up. The Steelers have a very deep receiving group, and it will be tough to contain them for 60 minutes without Revis on the field.
    1) I remember the Steelers OL being "banged up" for our playoff matchup, and that didn't work too well in our favor.

2) Ben isn't as much of a "quick hit" guy, so getting to him faster than he can get rid of it will probably be more important than how well the DBs actually stick with their guy . . .