Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roster moves to be made post week 1...

Roster moves to be made post week 1...

Tomorrow will be an interesting day...

I think we will see some roster moves with week 1 out of the way and contracts signed now and through the end of the season aren't guaranteed...

I still think there are a couple of moves to be made with players like Landolt still on the active 53...

It's possible the Jets bring Sapp back to the 53, and I think we needed the added speed and talent at LB.

Another position to keep our eyes on is at RB, do the Jets go after a player like Bobby Rainey just cut from the Ravens? I still think it's possible the Jets may target a speedy RB in the mold of Demps, Rainey is a similar kind of player.

I was impressed with the play of our TE's in this past game, Rueland looks like he belongs, he showed some good intensity on several plays as the blocking TE, a job that is being overlooked in the game yesterday. Pass protection isn't only about the OL play, which was very good, but it's equally important that the TE and RB do their jobs as well, and Cumberland was often the TE running routes, and Rueland in along with Jason Smith performing the blocking duties. Rueland is also an athletic TE, I really like the talent at TE now with Keller, Cumberland, and Reuland, some good youth and depth there. I thought the team may consider adding another TE, but not anymore.

To me, LB, and RB are possibilities if moves are to be made, and I think Sapp has the best chance to be added back to the team.

Players on the bubble right now IMO

Landolt - Maybe he is moved to the 7 week IR?

Turner - Believe it or not, Schilens and Turner are a lot alike, same size, good ST's players, physical, Schilens has speed, Jets may want depth elsewhere and could make a player like Turner expendable, but I'd probably prefer to keep both for depth. Schilens is the better WR, Turner the better ST's player, but they could be redundant.

Hall Of Fame
    Sapp is still hurt Ray, he is probably a few weeks away from being a viable option for the Jets.

Guys, what is this fascination with Sapp? I'm being honest here, I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Guys, what is this fascination with Sapp? I'm being honest here, I just don't see it.
    Because there was a time when he was mentioned in the same class as von miller in college. A player who had the speed to both rush the passer and cover in space.

He is never healthy, so maybe his talent is a moot point, but no one is saying we should tie up a spot on the 53 with him, simply that he should be resigned to the PS, which is virtually riskless for a player with his potential.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    +1.

We already have a one dimensional pass rusher in Aaron Maybin. Ricky Sapp is being treated as the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. He's a funny guy on Twitter, but that's it. Clemson pass rushers just haven't panned out recently.

Because we are desperate for some speed at LB. We need a pash rush still. If Sapp could ever get healthy he is worth a spot. He was doing very well early in camp. He just sounds like he is made of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Because there was a time when he was mentioned in the same class as von miller in college. A player who had the speed to both rush the passer and cover in space.

He is never healthy, so maybe his talent is a moot point, but no one is saying we should tie up a spot on the 53 with him, simply that he should be resigned to the PS, which is virtually riskless for a player with his potential.

As mentioned he was thought to be a low 1st-2nd round talent because of his athleticism / speed before his knee injury in college..The Jets liked him enough pre-2010 draft to bring him in for a visit...And I think we can all agree the Jets need some young, athletic (speed) at OLB.

As of last week per:
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Per source, Ricky Sapp is going to be resigned by the #Jets shortly. They let him go to give him more time to heal is ankle
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-11-2012 at 10:05 AM.

All League
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting

Did Aaron Maybin even see the field Sunday? I don't remember seeing him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    yes.

He was in there, but didnt do much.

He had a very poor preseason whenever he was in at LB, and although he didnt do much on sunday, that was not the type of game where he should have a huge role....this coming week is a very different story.

Buffalo uses a very quick passing game (fitz was least sacked QB last season) which is in direct contrast to maybin's skill set. Rothlisberger though likes to hang and move in the pocket to let his WRs get open down the field....that is where we need maybin. Maybin will rarely win on a bull rush etc, his game is speed on the edge to help contain the QB and then make a play based on second effort, utilizing his speed. That speed and second effort is what hopefully will keep Rothlisberger peaking behind him as he moves in the pocket, instead of solely looking for his WRs downfield.

Banned
    He did get a hit on Fitzy.

Sapp's not a linebacker that's going to roam around and make tackles though, he's strictly a pass rusher, just like Maybin.

Speed is nice, but it's more important for linebackers that play in the field to have good instincts and be reliable tacklers. They have to play under control at all times, because overpursuit usually results in big plays.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    As mentioned he was thought to be a low 1st-2nd round talent because of his athleticism / speed before his knee injury in college..The Jets liked him enough pre-2010 draft to bring him in for a visit...And I think we can all agree the Jets need some young, athletic (speed) at OLB.

As of last week per:
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Per source, Ricky Sapp is going to be resigned by the #Jets shortly. They let him go to give him more time to heal is ankle
    Steiny has said a lot about Sapp that never becomes true. He said he'll "for sure play the 2nd preseason game" and he never played any. He said he'd make the 53, and didn't even make it to the end. He said he'll only be on the PS temporarily, and then he got cut. Maybe he was right on that one. Haha

Jets waive PTurner. Sign Sapp to PS. Also waive DB Laquan Lewis from PS

Good call Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Jets waive PTurner. Sign Sapp to PS. Also waive DB Laquan Lewis from PS

Good call Ray.
    Now, if I could only make this work when playing the lottery.

Interesting that Sapp only added back to PS, but now there is a roster spot open.

And, Landolt is still on roster...

Is Turnver eligible for PS?

Veteran
    Still have to the end of the week and curious who the Jets bring in for looks. Sapp stays on PS until he can show he can play. It will be curious who gets cut if he is activated..

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Interesting that Sapp only added back to PS, but now there is a roster spot open.

I think someone in the other thread mentioned that he is ineligible, put a shout out for ya in that thread due to your clairvoyance bud lol. Now what are the powerball numbers

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

No, he has been active for too many games to still be eligible for PS.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Still have to the end of the week and curious who the Jets bring in for looks. Sapp stays on PS until he can show he can play. It will be curious who gets cut if he is activated..
    There is an open roster spot for Sapp now with Turner being released.