Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roster moves to be made post week 1...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    There is an open roster spot for Sapp now with Turner being released.
    You're right thanks for the correction although I was thinking the Jets may sign another player to the active roster before Sapp is ready hence having to cut a player..

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I think someone in the other thread mentioned that he is ineligible, put a shout out for ya in that thread due to your clairvoyance bud lol. Now what are the powerball numbers

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    You're right thanks for the correction although I was thinking the Jets may sign another player to the active roster before Sapp is ready hence having to cut a player..
    Possibly. But the gameplan is passed out to the players tomorrow so if they cut a player, say Thursday, the steelers could then pick up that player who would then have knowledge of this weeks gameplan.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    Steiny has said a lot about Sapp that never becomes true. He said he'll "for sure play the 2nd preseason game" and he never played any. He said he'd make the 53, and didn't even make it to the end. He said he'll only be on the PS temporarily, and then he got cut. Maybe he was right on that one. Haha
    Apologize to Melo Five

Hall Of Fame
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    The Jets did not try any players out today, so not sure where they're going with that roster spot #nyj

Hall Of Fame
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    I see a lot of WR speculation. I don't think the move will be to add a WR. Gates can be active as 5th WR. They'll add another position, IMO

Veteran
    Possibly. But the gameplan is passed out to the players tomorrow so if they cut a player, say Thursday, the steelers could then pick up that player who would then have knowledge of this weeks gameplan.
    True, the spot may stay open till next week unless it is for Sapp..

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

They should sign Ryan Grant. He's available, we have the cap space, and a serious need at RB.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    They should sign Ryan Grant. He's available, we have the cap space, and a serious need at RB.
    He must have nothing left because I dont know of any team that has brought him to even work out. Kind of surprised because he isnt that old.

As mentioned he was thought to be a low 1st-2nd round talent because of his athleticism / speed before his knee injury in college..The Jets liked him enough pre-2010 draft to bring him in for a visit...And I think we can all agree the Jets need some young, athletic (speed) at OLB.

As of last week per:
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Per source, Ricky Sapp is going to be resigned by the #Jets shortly. They let him go to give him more time to heal is ankle
    Great news to hear this.

If the Jets can ever put together a relentless pass rush...to combine with the best secondary in the NFL..then Jets have a very good chance to compete effectively against any team in the league.

Right now...Jets have some very good young pieces in place on the DL. But their best years may be starting next year. With this year still being an important part of their learning process and development. They need the reps and experience that this year will bring.

Hopefully...they'll graduate some after the bye week...and start playing at that higher level, that begins to match their potential and talent. But for now...they need to be better complemented by the LB units. Especially for the pass rush.

This is 2012...not 2009. Players like Pace, Thomas and Scott...are just not as fast as they used to be. This shows up in film...in pursuit...coverage...and pass rush situations. Especially in the pass rush...they just don't have closing speed. Right now only Maybin has it. When healthy...Sapp has this ability too. He can do it both as a OLB/DE speed rusher. And be an excellent interchange with Maybin in this role.

There's a reason why the jets have put in a lot of time and effort with Sapp. He's a bigger and stronger Maybin. Was once faster then him too...and may still be. And has no problems in holding his 250+ weight.

Sapp was not just a sack terror DE in college...he consistently camped out in the opponents backfield. Making numerous TFLs. With explosive speed and a quick change of direction...he was noted for his relentless pursuit

Sapp may be at a crossroads now...this may be his last chance for the NFL. Certainly with the Jets.

If he can just stay healthy long enough to put on a Jets uniform. He might be worth the wait. And obviously the Jets think so too.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    if they feel we need a rb, then they wouldn't have cut ganaway, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    if they feel we need a rb, then they wouldn't have cut ganaway, right?
    Not sure about Gannaway but yeah, doesn't look like the team thinks we're lacking at RB. Rex and Tanny like Greene a lot apparently. I just don't think he's good enough, he doesn't really break any long runs.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4590255]He was in there, but didnt do much.
    QUOTE]

You can't just count sacks. When Maybin was in front of us on the twenty I noticed he was chasing Fitz, making him run, almost every play. Seems to me disrupting the QB and distracting him is pretty valuable as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    Because we are desperate for some speed at LB. We need a pash rush still. If Sapp could ever get healthy he is worth a spot. He was doing very well early in camp. He just sounds like he is made of glass.
    I would believe that REX knows a bit about what he wants at OLB for his defense. If he wants Sapp imo he knows what Sapp has to offer. You are going on assumptions and no to little information. I will stick with the pros rather then armchair GM on a computer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    Did Aaron Maybin even see the field Sunday? I don't remember seeing him at all.
    are you for real? The guy was chasing Fitz all over the place! Pressure counts almost as much as sacks. Some guys just never can say a decent word about a Jets player.

Isn't Ryan Grant that guy whom someone said had sickle-cell anemia and wasn't able to play in Denver's high altitude or something like that?

I remember reading that somewhere here....

Veteran
    Uh - I just saw news that the Jets waived Patrick Turner and signed Ricky Sapp - anyone else see this?

That sounds like Sapp is going to be added to the 53 man roster. Therefore healthy enough to practice and play. Hope this is what's happening.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    That sounds like Sapp is going to be added to the 53 man roster. Therefore healthy enough to practice and play. Hope this is what's happening.
    Looks like Sapp is heading to the PS - but they also cut some CB off the squad. Which of course begs the question - what are they doing with that open roster spot . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Isn't Ryan Grant that guy whom someone said had sickle-cell anemia and wasn't able to play in Denver's high altitude or something like that?

I remember reading that somewhere here....
    The RB? No, he played for Green Bay.