Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: strange things can happen, but we may already know the AFC playoff field

strange things can happen, but we may already know the AFC playoff field

Patriots, Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Texans, Broncos

injuries can always change things up, but if you ask me there's a good possibility that will be your AFC playoff field this year

Pats - guaranteed they get in

Jets- uniquely tough defense that only the best QBs can overcome. Looking at the schedule, they should be able to get 10 wins, 2nd half of the season is easy.

Ravens- in.

Steelers- in. their o-line looks suspect but Ben R. can overcome it.

Texans- Easily the best in their division.

Broncos- Easily the best in their division. this is the best defense Peyton has ever had to complement him.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 09-11-2012 at 12:51 AM.

I'd put SD and cinci on the bubble too. but there's really not that many good teams in the AFC right now

SD for sure. I think the Steelers might be out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    week 14 Chargers @ Steelers could be a pivotal game.

I feel like people expect the Chargers to take the next step every year, and every year they come up short. Maybe their defense gets over the hump this year.
    Steelers actually do have a tough schedule as they play the NFC East this year. So the Chargers have that going for them.....

But ultimately I think the Steelers D is just too good not to make the playoffs. Let's not forget last night was vs. Peyton Manning, and James Harrison was out. They will school most QBs, much like the Jets and Ravens.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 09-11-2012 at 01:25 AM.

All League
    Seriously? It's week 1.

I'm all for playoff speculation but wait a bit.

Ravens, Texans, and Patriots are locks. Broncos as long as Peyton stays healthy should win the division. Then you have us, Steelers, Chargers, and maybe a couple others probably battling for wildcard spots. AFC field a lot easier to predict than NFC, and that was the case even before week 1 had kicked off

Not sure what the chargers showed last night as evidence they are a playoff ready team. Their Oline is also terrible, and who knows what matthews will bring to the offense. Plus they barely beat a bad oakland team, that gave away the game.

Gates is a great player, but this is another team where its been fustrating to see them mentioned as playoff contenders and the jets as a joke, especially considering "playmakers" on offense. Who is striking fear in opposing teams on SD? Malcolm Flloyd, robert meachem?

Id take our set of skill position players over SD any day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post

injuries can always change things up, but if you ask me there's a good possibility that will be your AFC playoff field this year

Jets- uniquely tough defense that only the best QBs can overcome. Looking at the schedule, they should be able to get 10 wins, 2nd half of the season is easy.

Ravens- in.

Broncos- Easily the best in their division. this is the best defense Peyton has ever had to complement him.
    After week 1?

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    After week 1?
    No, I think this was prepared after the 1st quarter on Sunday!!!

I know Atlanta put a 40 burger on them on Sunday, but Kansas City is going to be in the AFC West / AFC Wild Card race the entire season. They were missing Tamba Hali on Sunday and that of course is going to effect the defense, not to mention there isn't an AFC team they face this season that has the offensive firepower Atlanta has.

San Diego, we'll see, and Cincinnati may not be able to beat the Ravens but they can hang with almost everyone else. Their schedule will land them 8 or 9 wins, which last year was enough for a WC.

I have no problem with your prognostication but isn't it a wee bit early?? An unfortunate injury, an occasional upset, etc. could change the picture. Weren't the "experts" picking the Bills over the Jets for the playoffs before week one?

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I know Atlanta put a 40 burger on them on Sunday, but Kansas City is going to be in the AFC West / AFC Wild Card race the entire season. They were missing Tamba Hali on Sunday and that of course is going to effect the defense, not to mention there isn't an AFC team they face this season that has the offensive firepower Atlanta has.

San Diego, we'll see, and Cincinnati may not be able to beat the Ravens but they can hang with almost everyone else. Their schedule will land them 8 or 9 wins, which last year was enough for a WC.
    Which then leads to the question of whether the Jets (and Steelers) will have 10 or more.

If not, they don't deserve to be considered a "playoff favorite" right now anyway. But if our biggest competition isn't likely to get double-digits, you gotta like our chances.

Buff (2)
    Miami (2)
    Colts
    Seahawks
    Rams
    Cardinals
    Jaguars
    Titans
    Chargers

Without stealing a win from Pitt, SF, Houston, or NE (which we certainly could do), there are still 11 winnable games. I don't think we're SB favorites, but we're certainly playoff-caliber which is a FAR CRY from how most prognosticators (and fans here) were portraying us as just a few days ago . . .
    Last edited by OCCH; 09-11-2012 at 09:24 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post

They were also missing one of my favorite CBs in the league, Brandon Flowers

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post

Ravens- in.

Steelers' O-Line could get Rapesburger killed. If they lose to the Jets this week, they will be starting 0-2. The Ravens look tough. I think the Steelers are the most iffy of all the teams you listed.

My predictions for the AFC.

EAST
    Pats win division with 12 wins, business as usual.
    Jets win 10-11 games, take a wild card spot.
    Bills go 7-9, Williams leads the league in saltiness.
    Dolphins go 3-13, lol dolphins.

NORTH
    Ravens win division with 11 wins, go 6-0 in the division.
    Steelers go 11-5, take last wild card spot.
    Bengals go 8-8, Dalton takes a step back.
    Browns go 4-12, leave the league and go to the IFL.

WEST
    Broncos go 12-4, Manning reminds Denver fans what a real QB looks like. Manning to Decker becomes a huge part of the Denver offense.
    Chargers win 8-9 games, miss playoffs again. Red zone efficiency becomes a huge issue.
    Raiders win 7-8 games, lead league in penalties again. Janikowski nails a 70 yard field goal. Team eventually switches to baseball since they already have the field for it.
    Chiefs win 8 games, continue to be worthless.

SOUTH
    Texans go 12-4, repeat last year.
    Colts win maybe 5 or 6 games, media overreacts and declares Luck a bust.
    Titans quietly win 9 games, Hasselbeck takes back the starting job.
    Jaguars go 4-12, load up the car and head to L.A Karate Kid style. Sweep the leg.

All League
    REALLYYYYYYYYY?????? NOW???????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

Titans quietly win 9 games, Hasselbeck takes back the starting job.
    No way that happens. Locker looked very good until he got hurt. He is a much better QB than Hasselbeck.

Yeah, Chiefs and Bengals both looked bad in week 1, but I wouldn't bury them this early. Chiefs were missing guys on D and played a strong opponent. Bengals played a really good team too. AFC has so many no-hope teams though, Raiders, Jags, Titans, Colts, Bills, Phins, Browns, that's literally 7 teams you can basically count out already barring something strange happening.

Only teams I'd count out in the NFC by comparison are Cards, Vikings, and Rams. That conference is so much more wide open. Only 49ers look like an absolute playoff lock (because they are vastly better than anyone else in their division).

Steelers / Jets game this weekend may set the tone for both teams early this season.

Injuries across all teams will influence these projections.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    HC Norv Turner..Not what you want to read if you are a SD fan