Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember 9-11-01.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    It's hard to believe eleven years have gone by.

May all of the victims rest in peace and all of the perpetrators burn in Hell....
    + 1,000,000

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember Mike Armstrong. Big Jets fan, RIP.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry for all those who lost someone. i will never forget.

RIP

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a New Yorker that lived through it I will never forget 9/11 and the 1993 attack at the towers.

I hope the rest of the country cares as much as we do here in the tri state area.

RIP.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    First time I've seen JW's account. Chilling.

Tragic day with such a profound, and senseless loss of life. Condolences to all who lost a friend or loved one. RIP to All. Never, ever forget.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    RIP to those that perished. I truly hope that time has healed wounds for those that have lost loved ones, but to me, it always seem poignantly fresh on 9/11.

When I woke up, I forgot for a moment that it was 9-11. I turned on the TV and ESPN was running the story of "The Man with the Red Bandana". If you haven't seen it yet, its definitely worth a watch. A short video (10-15 min maybe) about Welles Crowther - a 23 year old guy who saved up to 12 ppl in the towers before being killed whilst heading back in to rescue others.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    As a New Yorker that lived through it I will never forget 9/11 and the 1993 attack at the towers.

I hope the rest of the country cares as much as we do here in the tri state area.

RIP.
    I would hope so. Down here in SE Virginia they've been talking about it on the tv and radio and playing patriotic songs. But we had the Pentagon get hit, so maybe that's why it's easier for us. My neighbor was working in the Pentagon when it hit. He had people he knew that lost their lives that day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing that story...

No one know know personally was involved that day but I remember is as clear as anything when it happened. I was getting out of my car for work when I first heard the news. I thought it was a small plane like a single engine so I put it in the back of my head and went into work. About 10 minutes later, it became clear as to what was happening as I watched the second crash live. It was surreal to see even on TV. God bless all those who were lost that day and the days that followed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first year at college is permanently marked by this sad event. Everyone says that college is a life altering/shaping time. Well less than a month into it all I watched the world change in a matter of hours.

To those who knew someone I hope you find peace, if not today then some day.

To those who died rest in peace, as long as I am alive the world will not forget you.

To those who survived share your stories. The world is listening and you may just help prevent this from happening again.

To those who have served or are serving our country thank you for your sacrifice.

To the perpetrators I hope that you are burning in hell and you and the rest of your buddies realize that your cowardice did not have its desired effect.

On a side note I was at the titans game that was the five year anniversary and the love that was shown by complete strangers was overwhelming. Just because I had a jets jersey on they assumed I was from there obviously I am not but I just wanted to share that.
    Last edited by dubnick55; 09-11-2012 at 02:18 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ATC and military recordings, from a pilot in Denver- link below

"Most comprehensive set of FAA ATC and military Comms recordings of 9/11 I've yet run into.

As an Emergency Services Communicator, I've listened to many recordings of incidents and accidents. These recordings are significantly different.

The professionalism of most of those recorded remains high, but there are some mistakes and the usual levels of confusion. There's also frustration and some break-downs into cursing. Be advised.

Frankly, there's also sounds you may not wish to hear.

The portion of the ATC recording released from American Flight 93 is bone-chilling.

I mention it because even though this is the edited stuff, and there was more than this played for people cleared to hear it, what was left is truly awful and I don't want anyone surprised by it.

As pilots, put yourself in the seats of the other pilots on frequency (if you weren't already up there that day) and the controller's chair. Imagine controllers talking to supervisors in the silent gaps in their recordings and fellow controllers and supervisors plugging in at their stations.

The sound of these people's voices tells a story that otherwise might not be known.

Technical info: The FAA recordings include the in-line communication direct from the controller on the scopes and many recordings of back-lines between Center, TRACON, and Tower location's on-duty supervisors up their chain of command. If you're not used to hearing it, controllers have what are essentially telephone lines which can be patched to their headsets while working traffic, and they regularly use them for "point-outs" to adjacent sectors both above/below and laterally. Many of the initial procedures are exactly what you hear when an aircraft goes NORDO in the IFR system at first. It takes a while for everyone to figure out what's really going on.

As for the military unclassified recordings contained in this compilation, some are telephone conference bridges, some are radio loops (mainly the battle stations alert recordings for Otis and Langley), and at least one is digital comm direct with two flights of fighters judging by the audio. Folks with a military background may recognize some of these callsigns which were well-known at the time. (I'm not going to get into that... if you listen and think about the chain of command, you'll figure out close-enough who's who.)

In a former life, I stood not ten feet away from where one of the FAA guys is talking from on one of the conference calls, and installed the software and firmware in the conference bridge. I feel a small but noticeable personal connection to at least a couple of these recordings. That gear may or may not have still been in service by 2001, I honestly don't know. But I've stood there. In the room. I've heard that particular recording set before, but never in a large compilation put together in context with other recordings as close as possible.

Note: The timeline generally moves forward, but when certain recording times overlap others, time stamps jump backward when on the second and third recordings in some portions of this compilation.

There's also a few obvious audio gaps when censors dropped phone numbers, etc. and there's one section of about a minute later on that's dropped that appears to be an editing mistake.

I listen to these types of recordings both as preparedness for real incidents on any Comm watch I may hope to never have, and also as a reminder to honor those who perished. I do not post this for shock value or any agenda. Just as a pilot sharing some of the worst recorded audio I've ever encountered.

Some of you who work for airlines have heard worse recordings of this day, including telephone calls from aircraft and CVR recordings. These are edited with the worst of those removed. I have not heard those, nor do I care to.

Some of these recordings were used in various documentaries. I've not seen this many in one place, in chronological order in any of those documentaries, however. This is a very complete set.

With all of that said, this is a long set of recordings. It runs over an hour long. Please be advised before clicking on the link. It's a tough listen for all pilots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBhgEm3j7A

Thank you to all who served on that day, eleven years ago. And may those who perished, rest in peace."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Originally Posted by JETSWIN
    The sound was of an explosion of that there was no doubt, but a longer drawn out sound. I looked at my boss sitting to my left on the 26th floor of 1WTC and we both had the same expression, wtf was that, then the building started shaking violently back and forth. From my seat ( I was actually standing holding onto my desk so I didn’t fall over) it seemed as if I was looking at the ground in a perpendicular way or a right angle. Guys were falling out of their chairs. When the shaking stopped no one knew what had happened, someone yelled out, “was it an earthquake?”

Then looking out the window on the north side of the building (opposite of the side struck) I saw streams of red, it looked like fireballs or rocket trails, I had no idea. As I was looking out I saw something that did not register in my memory until days later, someone was smoldering and heading straight down with a grimace, I can see that poor soul’s face right now as I write this, that’s when we got moving. We all raced for the emergency exits, I actually got hit in the head with a ceiling tile as I ran through the doorway out of the office, no damage just surprise.

The descent down the stairs was orderly and seemed efficient. There was a strange smell in the air which days later I assumed to be jet fuel, nothing out of the ordinary until I reached the lower floors which were starting to accumulate water from the sprinklers on the stairwell. I’d put my hand on a door every floor to see if it was hot, it was not, I had no idea what was going on. As I exited on the upper mezz. level the building begin to shake violently again (the second plane was striking tower 2) and I just started running. I sprinted for a revolving door that a split second before I entered had something huge, part of the building or a plane I’m not sure, crash just outside. A step faster and I was gone, no doubt. I spun and ran the other way, to another door, I snuck my head out and looked up and it seemed ok. I ran to the pedestrian overpass over the Westside Hwy, there was a security man on the other side screaming, “Run! We’re under attack!” As I ran past him he said he wasn’t sure what had hit the buildings, it could have been a rocket. I ran through the Winter Garden and did not stop until I was outside near the river, then I turned and looked up.

The sight was unbelievable and all I could think of were my friends at Cantor Fitz (where I lost one of my best friends and countless others with who I had once worked). When I realized people were jumping I decided to leave and not watch, I started walking up the Westside Hwy with two others from my office that somehow ended up in a similar location. I was able to finally make a call to my wife from a pay phone at this point as there was no cell service. We walked like zombies as we heard from people that planes had struck the building. We made it to Chelsea Piers and 2WTC came crashing down, it was a horrific sight as we all know, but one of the guys walking with me fell to the ground and started punching it, I did not realize at the time his brother worked in the building and he obviously thought the worse (thankfully he did get out). We made it to the parking garage around 34th street and our building came down. There were no words just head down walking to get away.

In midtown I went into a bar to get water and any info available and ran into a guy from my desk who somehow had made it to the same spot through a completely different route. As we both live in Westchester we start walking north, along Third Ave. I was hit by bird crap on that walk and someone told me how lucky I was, and I had no argument considering where I had just come from. We did not stop until we were in the Bronx on Arthur Ave., where my brother in law picked us up.

The day changed me profoundly then, I was depressed for a long time. I’ll never forget the day or my friends lost. I appreciate every day I have had since as the gift it is. Thanks for letting me vent this story, I do it every year and it makes me feel better and helps me keep the horror fresh in my mind. That is not a bad thing, because none of us should ever forget how hated we are whether it makes sense or not.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took my moment of reflection at 0846. Never forget.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Media in Germany has only sidenotes regarding this, despite the german victims and the impacts afterwards.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chesapeake!

RIP; I watched those towers go up. Difficult day.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    Thanks for sharing JW and reminding us all never to forget. I worked in Manhattan that day and the memory will forever be etched in my mind. As I was reading this sitting in my six yr old daughters room waiting for her to go to sleep, she turns to me and asks me "daddy were you in nyc during 9/11", totally out of the blue. They made sure to have a memorial during her school today and she apparently had questions. Now I had already been tearing up after reading JW's post, and then I read it to her. I'm not sure how much she truly understood, but she knows I dont typically get choked up like that. Let's hope the next generation never forgets either.

Fitz

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonights view..........

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My father almost had a heart-attack(out of anxiety) that day watching the towers fall on TV; had to rush him to the ER as a result. Fortunately he was okay afterward....

Though he felt ill again when he saw the bill.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting this on this date. So many have forgotten and just worry about themselves. Lets hope that the USA remains strong and able to protect all of us. No more fanatical attacks on American soil! God Bless America and may those murdered on 9/11 rest in peace!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    RIP to those that perished. I truly hope that time has healed wounds for those that have lost loved ones, but to me, it always seem poignantly fresh on 9/11.

When I woke up, I forgot for a moment that it was 9-11. I turned on the TV and ESPN was running the story of "The Man with the Red Bandana". If you haven't seen it yet, its definitely worth a watch. A short video (10-15 min maybe) about Welles Crowther - a 23 year old guy who saved up to 12 ppl in the towers before being killed whilst heading back in to rescue others.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRTyt6dALM

listening to the father speak...can't help but hold back some tears. great story.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft4xev4ustw

Before Joe was killed in the WTC attacks...he was shot twice in separate incidents in NYC. If you made this story up, no one would believe it.

-