Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: " how this jets no-name stopped a superstar " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink " how this jets no-name stopped a superstar " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great article, thanks for posting! Amazing how one guy can make you feel so much better about the entire line. What he doesn't mention though, is that Smith was in there something like 33 plays, I thought as TE to help out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what you more analytical guys are seeing in Howard, but physically - and watching him move during the game - he just seems to stay really centered. He doesn't lunge or reach.

The guy is huge and wide and - as I noted elsewhere - seems to carry a lot of weight in his lower half, which makes for a low center of gravity even given his height. It's a bit hard to get excited over a guy at this position who is just an UDFA, but he certainly looks the part. I'll also add that he seems confident - not cocky - just mentally calm enough to handle what is going on. Hunter lost the mind game as much as the physical IMO.

The G-Men got a UDFA find with Cruz - the Pitt game will likely tell us if we really found one of our own. I am hoping so.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Williams is salty as hell. Gotta be embarrassing to get shut down by the guy who backed up Wayne Hunter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Great article, thanks for posting! Amazing how one guy can make you feel so much better about the entire line. What he doesn't mention though, is that Smith was in there something like 33 plays, I thought as TE to help out.
    "...thanks for posting!..."

~ ~ you're welcome ! !

GO JETS ! ! !

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I asked PFF what their analysis of Howard's performance.

@PFF: Gave up 1 knockdown, nothing else RT @Abelr02: @PFF would love to hear your thoughts on Austin Howard vs Mario Williams

One knockdown and nothing else is more than anyone could ask for IMHO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    I asked PFF what their analysis of Howard's performance.

@PFF: Gave up 1 knockdown, nothing else RT @Abelr02: @PFF would love to hear your thoughts on Austin Howard vs Mario Williams

One knockdown and nothing else is more than anyone could ask for IMHO.
    agreed !

he did a great job against on of the best pass rushers ! !

cheers ~ ~

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I don't know what you more analytical guys are seeing in Howard, but physically - and watching him move during the game - he just seems to stay really centered. He doesn't lunge or reach.

The guy is huge and wide and - as I noted elsewhere - seems to carry a lot of weight in his lower half, which makes for a low center of gravity even given his height. It's a bit hard to get excited over a guy at this position who is just an UDFA, but he certainly looks the part. I'll also add that he seems confident - not cocky - just mentally calm enough to handle what is going on. Hunter lost the mind game as much as the physical IMO.

The G-Men got a UDFA find with Cruz - the Pitt game will likely tell us if we really found one of our own. I am hoping so.
    +1, it looks like he has the body. Even when beat, Howard gets a hand on the defender just enough to push him out of the way. Something Hunter never did.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    +1, it looks like he has the body. Even when beat, Howard gets a hand on the defender just enough to push him out of the way. Something Hunter never did.
    he has " the build " for the job.
    if he continues to perform/play like he did vs the bills ;
    it looks like we " have a keeper "

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shorts and Shells : Week One

~ ~ Quick hits on some of the biggest stories from Sundayís action :

Happy Overreaction Sunday, everyone.

The Giants suck and the Jets are amazing . The Cowboys and Redskins are the best teams in the NFC East. Robert Griffin III is much better than Andrew Luck. The Saints donít have a chance against the Bucs in the NFC South this season.

Nothing is sacred, right ?

Well, letís start with the smell test. What just felt the worst? (And of course weíre going with the negative ó it fits the theme this week.)Iíd nominate the Saints and Bills. Just lacking something.With the Bills itís a consistent quarterback. Ryan Fitzpatrick might well turn in respectable numbers this season ó as he sort of did, cosmetically, in this game: 18-of-32 passing, three TDs, three INTs. But anyone watching knew how bad it was from the start of the game.

The low moment was the pick-six by Jets CB Antonio Cromartie. At that point, it was still kind of a game (really) with the Jets only up 27-7 in the third. It wasnít a tough throw ó front side, easy read ó and Fitzpatrick just airmailed it to the defender, which put a nail in the game early in the second half. The fact that the Bills finished with 28 points in garbage time mattered little when they allowed 48. To the Jets. Who scored just one TD in the preseason.The Bills might have averted total disaster with the early news that RB Fred Jacksonís knee injury didnít appear very serious, but a lot of bad came out of this one.

It might be nice if whisper-quiet DE Mario Williams (one tackle, on the fourth play of the game) wakes up the pass rush. There was none. Rookie CB Stephon Gilmore was picked on by the Jets. It was just a humbling afternoon for the Bills, who came in with high expectations and the feeling it was their time to fight back against the big-brother Jets , who instead picked on them one more time.

rest of article :
    > http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...lls-week-one-2