Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Austin Howard vs. Mario Williams

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Austin Howard vs. Mario Williams

Here was a good article with some pics from a Buffalo blog about the "hands to the face" stuff.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012...oward-re-watch

You'll have to click through to see the pictures.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the 1st half again this morning, just watching this matchp and it did seem like Howard was trying to get a hand on him and I think becasue of his height his hand hit the face mask a bunck of times... that being said, I only remeber hands to the face beign called when its sustained and or pulling/pushing of the face mask...

Either way, Mario is a cry baby...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the 1st pic, I see it, but the others look like the author is reaching.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every NFL game you watch you will see an OL or DL get their hands on someone's face. There is punching on every single play. Between the guards is where the real melee is going on. This is nothing new.

Internally I think the Bills are questioning Mario William's toughness this week. A 6'6" 290lb man should not get ruffled by something like this. He should be the one dishing out the beating.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking BUFFALO CRYING THE BLUES

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    Here was a good article with some pics from a Buffalo blog about the "hands to the face" stuff.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012...oward-re-watch

You'll have to click through to see the pictures.
    ==Posted Image

it does look as if Austin Howard pushed at Mario's face mask. But the refs never called anything..... have to see what happens against the Steelers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Every NFL game you watch you will see an OL or DL get their hands on someone's face. There is punching on every single play. Between the guards is where the real melee is going on. This is nothing new.

Internally I think the Bills are questioning Mario William's toughness this week. A 6'6" 290lb man should not get ruffled by something like this. He should be the one dishing out the beating.
    he should be used to this by now. notice he didn't complain about being held. you'd think someone as good as mario williams could handle a noname RT smacking him around. if someone did that to strahan, strahan would smack that guy around. he'd fix it during the game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to see why Houston didn't have a problem letting Mario go. He may have a ton of talent (and will still find a way to put up 10 sacks this year), but not sure if he has the heart to be as good as his contract would dictate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Starting to see why Houston didn't have a problem letting Mario go. He may have a ton of talent (and will still find a way to put up 10 sacks this year), but not sure if he has the heart to be as good as his contract would dictate.
    well, in his first game he was a non factor, against a guy who was a backup a week or two ago. so he had to have some kind of excuse.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I missing something, did football change the rules? Has it been outlawed
    that Mario Williams (6-7 over 300 lbs) can't use his hands to knock Howard's
    hands away from his face? Stop being a little girl Mario!!! You're being
    paid 100 million put in the work and earn it

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    +1

Williams is a good player and a great physical talent, but his numbers aren't eye-popping. He's no Jared Allen or Michael Strahan. Not just from a sack perspective, but also from a tackling point of view.

His mentality and heart could definitely be part of that - because when you look at the guy, you'd expect him to have numbers like those other guys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    +1

Williams is a good player and a great physical talent, but his numbers aren't eye-popping. He's no Jared Allen or Michael Strahan. Not just from a sack perspective, but also from a tackling point of view.

His mentality and heart could definitely be part of that - because when you look at the guy, you'd expect him to have numbers like those other guys.
    maybe he gets rattled easily, like when howard slapped him around.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    On the 1st pic, I see it, but the others look like the author is reaching.
    Actually, the author pretty much calls BS on Williams and flat out states that Howard got into Williams' head and handled him. To add insult to injury he thew a couple of pics up there showing Williams doing the same thing to Howard. Pretty fair article overall.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    +1

An extremely rich man's Gholston, one might presume?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I think he is trying to avoid heat for the huge contract he signed.

With that being said, Williams is a $100 mil athlete. He is paid to get past things like hands to the face. Austin Howard just earned himself a pay raise. He showed up Williams and made him disappear.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Actually, the author pretty much calls BS on Williams and flat out states that Howard got into Williams' head and handled him. To add insult to injury he thew a couple of pics up there showing Williams doing the same thing to Howard. Pretty fair article overall.
    I never said it wasn't fair. I said those pics showed next to nothing (at least most of them).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A fist or hand smacking Williams in the face mask should not effect him at all. Lineman are smacking helmets and face masks together an every play, and that delivers a much bigger blow than a "hand.". Contact with a face mask is never going to be called unless you grab and maintain contact, which was not the case from what I see/hear. Mario is being a $100 million dollar cry baby! Waaaaaaaah!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    I watched the 1st half again this morning, just watching this matchp and it did seem like Howard was trying to get a hand on him and I think becasue of his height his hand hit the face mask a bunck of times... that being said, I only remeber hands to the face beign called when its sustained and or pulling/pushing of the face mask...

Either way, Mario is a cry baby...
    It happened all over the league Sunday, every game i seen. It appears that the new refs were told to hold on to the flags for line play. The league must have been concerned with too many flags.

I also noticed a lot more hand fighting by the db/wr pairings.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    It happened all over the league Sunday, every game i seen. It appears that the new refs were told to hold on to the flags for line play. The league must have been concerned with too many flags.

I also noticed a lot more hand fighting by the db/wr pairings.
    Good.

Let the guys play.

As long as it's not a blatant, egregious penalty, keep the yellow in your pocket, ref.

Nothing worse than watching a game where the ref seems more interested in his own TV face time than calling a good game.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Good.

Let the guys play.

As long as it's not a blatant, egregious penalty, keep the yellow in your pocket, ref.

Nothing worse than watching a game where the ref seems more interested in his own TV face time than calling a good game.
    I felt like a lot of the refs were uncomfortable in front of the camera.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he should be used to this by now. notice he didn't complain about being held. you'd think someone as good as mario williams could handle a noname RT smacking him around. if someone did that to strahan, strahan would smack that guy around. he'd fix it during the game.
    Growing up in my neighborhood...if somebody smacked you...you better smack back...or you're going to be in for it in a big way.

Now every OL knows how to play him. Just give Mario a good open hand smack or push on his facemask, and it will take him off his game.