Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Austin Howard vs. Mario Williams

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Growing up in my neighborhood...if somebody smacked you...you better smack back...or you're going to be in for it in a big way.

Now every OL knows how to play him. Just give Mario a good open hand smack or push on his facemask, and it will take him off his game.
    a big part of it is being physical and not being afraid or intimidated. hunter lost most battles before the snap, since now we see he'd lost his confidence, and didn't believe he could block these guys.

the other part is sanchez believing his RT can block the guy, so he's more confident in the pocket and also seemed to get rid of the ball quicker. having guys get open with better route trees helped too. it's like the jets had a normal offense for the first time in sanchez's time with the jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Lombardi made the point that Mario Williams is a "sacker", while the other premier pass rushers are "constant pressure guys". He makes the good point that while Mario will rack up decent sack numbers year in and year out, the true game changers at the position bring unbearable pressure throughout the course of the game. Easy decision for Houston to cut bait with Mario.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Buffalo Bills fans,

STOP CRYING !!!

YOU LOST!!

TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!!!

SOMETIMES DAVID BEATS GOLIATH !!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    On the 1st pic, I see it, but the others look like the author is reaching.
    The author admitted as much in the article.

"Yes, Howard was getting his hands into Williams' face, but they weren't particularly easy to spot, and in zero cases did I see sustained helmet contact that would constitute an illegal hands to the face penalty. They were just little jabs that, I'm sure, served their purpose: they seem like the ideal way to irritate Williams and get him off his game."

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    Here was a good article with some pics from a Buffalo blog about the "hands to the face" stuff.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012...oward-re-watch

You'll have to click through to see the pictures.
    Wa Wa Wa, Mario got lit up and he is too much of a baby to admit it. Mario should sut the "F" up and move on, when his own towns papers are calling him out he looks like a fool.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was rewatching the game and did spot one that maaaaaybe should have been called, on Hill's first TD catch. I made screenshots for your viewing pleasure:

This was over about two seconds, which in terms of a play seems "sustained" to me. I'm not sure whether it made any difference on the play, but it was there FWIW.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I was rewatching the game and did spot one that maaaaaybe should have been called, on Hill's first TD catch. I made screenshots for your viewing pleasure:

This was over about two seconds, which in terms of a play seems "sustained" to me. I'm not sure whether it made any difference on the play, but it was there FWIW.
    Nice Pics and IMO that is holding; ummm illegal hands to the face rather....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    Here was a good article with some pics from a Buffalo blog about the "hands to the face" stuff.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012...oward-re-watch

You'll have to click through to see the pictures.
    I don't know a ton about OL play, but I would be curious if you could shots of other DL/OL battles where hands occasionally hit the face. I don't think it would be that uncommon.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

By definition that is a penalty. But the refs miss these things all the time. Even the real refs. Although it is very noticeable on the edges and maybe a more experienced ref would have caught it.

I don't know this is a habit of his or if it was on accident. Hopefully he doesn't do it a lot b.c I think the refs will be focused on him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Dear Buffalo Bills fans,

STOP CRYING !!!

YOU LOST!!

TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!!!

SOMETIMES DAVID BEATS GOLIATH !!!
    Ummm did you even read it? The author basically tells Mario to stop b*tching and that there is nothing to support his claims on the tape.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post

But, in the second photo, it looks to me that Howard has him on the shoulder pads - likely holding - but I don't see his hands on the facemask.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Nice Pics and IMO that is holding; ummm illegal hands to the face rather....
    It really depends on how long he kept the hands there. A quick jab isn't likely to be seen or called... it's when you drive the hands up into the face and keep them there. I don't think Howard did much of that maybe once or twice all day, but that happens every single game.

Mario is just crying because he got slapped around all afternoon by a guy making his first start.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One other note on watching that matchup in the first half was that even when Mario tried to speed rush him, Howard moved pretty well with him, keeping good leverage. I'm trying to take a true wait and see with this guy, but early returns are real good...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be shocked at how athletic Howard is, when he started his college
    career at N. Iowa he was a TE. He played TE for two years then "outgrew"
    the position and was converted to OT

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the 1st pic, I see it, but the others look like the author is reaching.
    The author said it was unjustified. Don't know what you mean by a reach?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    The author said it was unjustified. Don't know what you mean by a reach?
    Unless I misread, it sounded like he could see why Mario was crying about hands to the face. Hmm.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vaginitis Mariosis

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mario's gotta complain: he got his big payday, and didn't live up to it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless I misread, it sounded like he could see why Mario was crying about hands to the face. Hmm.
    I don't know... the tone I got was that he looked and found that there was some hitting in the face area, but that it was all legal/clean and Mario needs to quit whining about it. Just my interpretation, I thought the article was well reasoned and thought out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I don't know... the tone I got was that he looked and found that there was some hitting in the face area, but that it was all legal/clean and Mario needs to quit whining about it. Just my interpretation, I thought the article was well reasoned and thought out.
    I probably misread it, honestly.