Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets secondary ....

The Jets secondary ....

Not sure if this has ever been done. Top 3 DB's with INT's .... Revis, Cro, Kyle ....Both safeties involved with TO's... Landry forced a fumble, Bell recovered a fumble. Literally every starting DB got involved in the turnover action. I know Kyle's not labeled as a starter but he is cause lets be honest he's on the field for 70% of the snaps cause 3WR's are a base offense these days. Rex said the main goal this year during the off season was to run more trap coverage looks and being more aggressive this year to force a lot more turnovers. I think that's why they made it a point to get 2 safeties like this because they knew it order to turn it up they'd need athletic, quick reacting, and physical safeties to be aggressive and make plays for them.

If our secondary can just get better from week to week we might just make a lot of games look easier than they are. I think its the biggest strength in our team. There isn't another NFL team with a secondary corps like us. Fitz got a lot of heat this week but he might have gone up against the best secondary he's seen thus far in his career. The best part about this for us fans is that this is not even a far fetched statement.
    Last edited by LadainianIMnotDONE; 09-11-2012 at 01:22 PM.

My impression of the D in week 1: secondary is elite and will be great in coverage and probably deliver a lot of hard hits. Front 7 is average and lacks an impact player. Pass rush will most likely have to come from exotic blitzes and formations.

Not all that different from past few years. The smarter, better QBs will exploit the weaknesses if they have time. Guys like Fitzpatrick (or worse, of which we play many) will have nightmare games and play into our hands.

All Pro
    The Jets have the best secondary in the league by a mile if Landry stays healthy.

That's nice and I agree, but hopefully we can figure out how the hell tackling works.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    My impression of the D in week 1: secondary is elite and will be great in coverage and probably deliver a lot of hard hits. Front 7 is average and lacks an impact player. Pass rush will most likely have to come from exotic blitzes and formations.

Not all that different from past few years. The smarter, better QBs will exploit the weaknesses if they have time. Guys like Fitzpatrick (or worse, of which we play many) will have nightmare games and play into our hands.
    Rex said "we knew we wouldn't sack him but he wanted to make him throw the ball before he wanted to cause he'd make mistakes" ... his release is so quick. We got something like 8 rushes on him ... thats actually not bad. Towards the end of the game in week 1 conditioning is always an issue especially when your substitutions aren't as good as you'd like them to be. We have had an above average secondary in the past but Landry and Bell make this secondary even that much better. We had the midget out there, Eric Smith, Pool ... Bell and Landry's presence honestly is something I haven't seen anything like on our team in close to a decade or even more. I honestly can't even remember the last time we had a playmaking safety like Landry. This dude makes PLAYS. He looked like a bigger Polamalu out there. Our secondary if healthy and if they can improve some of the mix ups they had late in the game ... I don't know Bri ... this might be the best one by far.

I dont think we showed too much on defense this Sunday. We built a big lead early and I really think Rex dialed it down and played vanilla defense the rest of the way. He had mentioned they were not going to even use the majority of their looks on defense yet so i look for improvement in the next few weeks.

A simple equation...

Revis-Cro-Wilson + Landry-Bell = Best secondary in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That's nice and I agree, but hopefully we can figure out how the hell tackling works.
    +1

painful watching the spiller TD run.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    +1

painful watching the spiller TD run.
    I hate saying things like this but to be honest I expected some sloppy tackling in week 1 especially the more the game goes on. 1st quarter the excitement is there and you don't see them but as the game goes on you see a lot of that especially after you have a huge lead. I honestly thought Spiller and Jackson would get a couple of big runs against us anyway. I don't trust Pace or Thomas setting the edge this year and if they can get a O Lineman on a clear path to Landry then its goodbye. Our linebacker play was pretty poor on sunday more than anything. More of some of the young guys less Scott, Thomas, and Pace ... we need to really mix in the vets with the young guys better. Rex will make the adjustment. Pace, Thomas, and Scott at this point are what they are. There's no room for improvement ... you can't say that for some of the other guys. The tackling was sloppy yes, but I expected it.

If they can stay healthy the Jets Secondary is easily the best in the league. If we are going to be the #1 defense it starts there. Our personnel at LB is pretty good (top 10 maybe?) and the D line could be top 5. When you add in our coaching and an offense that doesn't suck you have a top 3 defense with the potential to be the best in the league.

All League
    I love the recent descriptions of our safeties, like the one in this thread: athletic, quick reacting, and physical ... aggressive"

I mean, who wouldn't want that?

But I think we all might want to tone down the expectations (and adjectives) a bit ... I think our safeties are getting a bit over-rated around here lately.

Yes, they had a solid preseason and a good first game...but the fact is, if these two guys didn't have a ton of question marks, they wouldn't have come so easy and cheap during free agency. If Landry can stay healthy, he could be a steal...but we really don't know what yet. As for Bell, he is what he is, and is certainly not elite. Solid and consistent at best.

Not saying I'm not happy with them...they seem to be clear upgrades. But let's not get all crazy.

We had the best secondary in the league without Landry and Bell... Now its just absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Rex said "we knew we wouldn't sack him but he wanted to make him throw the ball before he wanted to cause he'd make mistakes" ... his release is so quick. We got something like 8 rushes on him ... thats actually not bad. Towards the end of the game in week 1 conditioning is always an issue especially when your substitutions aren't as good as you'd like them to be. We have had an above average secondary in the past but Landry and Bell make this secondary even that much better. We had the midget out there, Eric Smith, Pool ... Bell and Landry's presence honestly is something I haven't seen anything like on our team in close to a decade or even more. I honestly can't even remember the last time we had a playmaking safety like Landry. This dude makes PLAYS. He looked like a bigger Polamalu out there. Our secondary if healthy and if they can improve some of the mix ups they had late in the game ... I don't know Bri ... this might be the best one by far.
    I think we need to be realistic about the player Fitzpatrick is when evaluating week 1. He's been below league average since he signed that contract. I'll even give you that his first 2 INTs were nice plays by the secondary (especially Revis's) and maybe he felt a little pressure on the throws. But you look at his 3rd INT and that's where the grain of salt comes in. Legit NFL starters do not make that throw right to Cro. Fitzpatrick is a shaky player and proclaiming this to be Rex's best D off of his mistakes is dubious. Because I didn't see anything else to support this as Rex's best D. I saw their RB gash us and without Revis's shoestring tackle (and concussion), Spiller is over 200 for the day. I need to see a lot more from our front 7 before I make judgments. Right now, I'd say we're a solid top 10 D with potential to be top 5. Which is plenty to win it all if your offense plays like ours did in week 1.

Veteran
    I think we need to be realistic about the player Fitzpatrick is when evaluating week 1. He's been below league average since he signed that contract. I'll even give you that his first 2 INTs were nice plays by the secondary (especially Revis's) and maybe he felt a little pressure on the throws. But you look at his 3rd INT and that's where the grain of salt comes in. Legit NFL starters do not make that throw right to Cro. Fitzpatrick is a shaky player and proclaiming this to be Rex's best D off of his mistakes is dubious. Because I didn't see anything else to support this as Rex's best D. I saw their RB gash us and without Revis's shoestring tackle (and concussion), Spiller is over 200 for the day. I need to see a lot more from our front 7 before I make judgments. Right now, I'd say we're a solid top 10 D with potential to be top 5. Which is plenty to win it all if your offense plays like ours did in week 1.
    Interesting but weren't the Bills proclaimed to come in second place in the AFCE with Fitzpatrick at QB? I think you're not giving the Jets secondary enough credit for the INT's. The Bills were playing with fire throwing at Revis(which no one does) and didn't respect Cromartie either. The Bills desserve what they got and were close to another two INT's. The Jets dominated on defense for 3 quarters. What a bad play by Lankster on the TD changes your view? I will agree with you on Spiller, he should have been tackled in the back field let alone run like he did but you can't judge the defense as whole on those two plays alone. Now if it continues I would agree but that has yet to be determined..

Veteran

Fitz gets rid of the ball quick, and has a decent line. Ben R holds the ball and has a beat up line. 3+ sacks from the front 4 against Pitts.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Fitz gets rid of the ball quick, and has a decent line. Ben R holds the ball and has a beat up line. 3+ sacks from the front 4 against Pitts.
    True, but he also moves and escapes the pocket as well as anyone. So while we may get sacks, he can also burn us out of the pocket.

This is my greatest reason for pause -- not specifically Fitzpatrick, but the overall fact that we've done well against the Bills lately. Some teams just match up with others, and I hope the success we had last week doesn't completely disappear Sunday.

But in regards to your "we'll have the same pass rush as years past" -- only time will tell if you're right. But we have WAY more potential on that line than we've had in a LONG time. Coples, Mo/Ellis in their 2nd year, Maybin on the outside (w QBs that hopefully can't step up in the pocket as easily anymore) . . . I still expect "exotic blitzes", but I'll be disappointed if they're as essential as they've been recently . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Interesting but weren't the Bills proclaimed to come in second place in the AFCE with Fitzpatrick at QB? I think you're not giving the Jets secondary enough credit for the INT's. The Bills were playing with fire throwing at Revis(which no one does) and didn't respect Cromartie either. The Bills desserve what they got and were close to another two INT's. The Jets dominated on defense for 3 quarters. What a bad play by Lankster on the TD changes your view? I will agree with you on Spiller, he should have been tackled in the back field let alone run like he did but you can't judge the defense as whole on those two plays alone. Now if it continues I would agree but that has yet to be determined..
    Proclaimed is one thing, we have to analyze what the Bills and Fitzpatrick have actually done on the field and it's been very bad for a while. You can't tell me the Jets shut down a good QB this past week. It's just not true, Fitzpatrick is the definition of mediocre, whether by the numbers or eye test. We embarrassed Fitz last year in Buffalo, yet guys like Brady, Vick, etc. still lit us up. It is not a good barometer.

The Spiller run was no different than what guys like McFadden and McCoy did to us last year. Our front 7, especially our LBs, are slow. Not every team has a back like that so we won't encounter it every week. I'm optimistic about our D, but I didn't draw a whole lot from week 1 to make me think it's very different from last season.

Hall Of Fame
    We still can't cover the TE.

Landry and Bell are nowhere near as good in coverage as you guys think they are. They are big hitters. Hopefully they can break up a lot of passes with hits.

This week will be a good indicator of how good our secondary is.

Veteran
    Proclaimed is one thing, we have to analyze what the Bills and Fitzpatrick have actually done on the field and it's been very bad for a while. You can't tell me the Jets shut down a good QB this past week. It's just not true, Fitzpatrick is the definition of mediocre, whether by the numbers or eye test. We embarrassed Fitz last year in Buffalo, yet guys like Brady, Vick, etc. still lit us up. It is not a good barometer.

The Spiller run was no different than what guys like McFadden and McCoy did to us last year. Our front 7, especially our LBs, are slow. Not every team has a back like that so we won't encounter it every week. I'm optimistic about our D, but I didn't draw a whole lot from week 1 to make me think it's very different from last season.
    I'm not drawing anything either from one game, trust me. My point was about the secondary. The Bills have a tendancy to go after the Jets corners unlike every other team in the league. He got lit up plain and simple. If he can't throw that's his problem but don't go out there and challenge the Jets corners and not expect the same outcome.

Again, lets wait and see on the run defense but I can't come to a conclusion on one QTR of play..