Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets secondary ....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I think we need to be realistic about the player Fitzpatrick is when evaluating week 1. He's been below league average since he signed that contract. I'll even give you that his first 2 INTs were nice plays by the secondary (especially Revis's) and maybe he felt a little pressure on the throws. But you look at his 3rd INT and that's where the grain of salt comes in. Legit NFL starters do not make that throw right to Cro. Fitzpatrick is a shaky player and proclaiming this to be Rex's best D off of his mistakes is dubious. Because I didn't see anything else to support this as Rex's best D. I saw their RB gash us and without Revis's shoestring tackle (and concussion), Spiller is over 200 for the day. I need to see a lot more from our front 7 before I make judgments. Right now, I'd say we're a solid top 10 D with potential to be top 5. Which is plenty to win it all if your offense plays like ours did in week 1.
    on first look, the Cro int was hard to understand -- and looked like he just threw it straight to the defender.

but the game announcers did a good job of breaking that down, and showing how he was fooled by the defense. Cro showed a man look on the outside, but with over-the-top help from the safety, he was able to drop off the outside route and step right in front of the slot receiver on the throw. Not saying it wasn't a serious error by Fitzpatrick, but do I think there are plenty of NFL QBs who could have been fooled into making that throw.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    We had the best secondary in the league without Landry and Bell... Now its just absurd.
    "Absurd" secondaries do not give up 28 points, 195 yards passing to Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Buffalo Bills. Not to mention a JAG RB ripping them for 169 yards on the ground.

And that secondary still has no clue how to cover good TE's.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you need a tight end in fantasy this week, heath miller would be a great option. We just cannot figure out how to cover a tight end.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    on first look, the Cro int was hard to understand -- and looked like he just threw it straight to the defender.

but the game announcers did a good job of breaking that down, and showing how he was fooled by the defense. Cro showed a man look on the outside, but with over-the-top help from the safety, he was able to drop off the outside route and step right in front of the slot receiver on the throw. Not saying it wasn't a serious error by Fitzpatrick, but do I think there are plenty of NFL QBs who could have been fooled into making that throw.
    Not plenty, but the Gabberts, the Tannehills, the Kolbs of the world, yeah, very possible. We play a lot of guys like that this season. The pass D is going to torment a lot of the QBs we play. Just look at a list of some of the guys we have remaining:

Tannehill x 2
    Fitzpatrick
    Luck
    Gabbert
    Locker
    Wilson
    Kolb/Skelton
    Bradford

That's 10 games where the D faces at best an average QB. I honestly don't even give any of those guys a chance to be average though, maybe Bradford.
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 09-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.

I couldn't agree more with you. I'm looking at PFF's scoring on the secondary now. The two safeties ability to cover was in question the past two years while on the fins and skins, and it appears it still might be an issue. PFF graded 8 balls thrown at their man and only 1 was not caught. Both are allowing QB ratings over 100 against them. Bell allowed 41 yards. Landry allowed 60.

Now, these may look worse than they appear since they were protecting a big lead, but its still too early to call them great in coverage or elite. Not to mention, Landry missed 3 tackles, 1 for the long TD run to spiller.

I would think Rex didnt bring these guys into cover all that often as both are good in the box and Landry can make plays, but it will be interesting to see what happens in a close game when they are forced into coverage.

Hall Of Fame
    BTW Landry also whiffed on one of the TD passes. The one when our LB showed blitz and couldn't get back in coverage in time. Landry got juked out of his shoes.

I want safeties that can cover and make tackles. I don't care about highlight hits.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    "Absurd" secondaries do not give up 28 points, 195 yards passing to Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Buffalo Bills. Not to mention a JAG RB ripping them for 169 yards on the ground.

Nice how you forget to mention most of their points came in the 4th Q when the D took their foot off the gas.

I sense a scared homer. Mmm, smells good.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I love the recent descriptions of our safeties, like the one in this thread: athletic, quick reacting, and physical ... aggressive"

I mean, who wouldn't want that?

But I think we all might want to tone down the expectations (and adjectives) a bit ... I think our safeties are getting a bit over-rated around here lately.

Yes, they had a solid preseason and a good first game...but the fact is, if these two guys didn't have a ton of question marks, they wouldn't have come so easy and cheap during free agency. If Landry can stay healthy, he could be a steal...but we really don't know what yet. As for Bell, he is what he is, and is certainly not elite. Solid and consistent at best.

Not saying I'm not happy with them...they seem to be clear upgrades. But let's not get all crazy.
    Exactly.

The front seven looked bad on first viewing. It looked a little better the second time around. Calvin Pace stood out, which is good. Ellis, Coples, and Maybin were non-factors, which is frustrating. Bart Scott and especially Bryan Thomas (in limited snaps) were downright bad. I love Thomas but I bet he's going to start sliding down the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    A simple equation...

Revis-Cro-Wilson + Landry-Bell = Best secondary in the league.
    I'm a big fan of math, and the NY Jets.

Don't mind me while I take a stab at my own secondary model:

Revis+Cro+Wilson+Landry+Bell=Best secondary in the league.

we were up by 30 points dude ... ever heard of soft and prevent coverage to let the team eat up clock? LMAO ... what the hell are u talking about AHAHAHAH ...

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    we were up by 30 points dude ... ever heard of soft and prevent coverage to let the team eat up clock? LMAO ... what the hell are u talking about AHAHAHAH ...
    He's scared, mate. He sees the change coming.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We still can't cover the TE.

Landry and Bell are nowhere near as good in coverage as you guys think they are. They are big hitters. Hopefully they can break up a lot of passes with hits.

This week will be a good indicator of how good our secondary is.
    4 catches for 38 yards for mr chandler who is avg tight end is fine by me, in a game that they were behind the entire time having to throw the ball. OUr cbs are so good in coverage that yes it makes it easier for a qb to throw to the tight ends more frequently than they do against other teams. We saw that all of last year and we will see it more this year but our safeties, who may not be top 10 cov safeties in the league are a hell of a lot better than what we had before and will not let us get completely dominated like years past. I am not concerned a bit with our dbacks at all.

Veteran

Get a ****ing clue dude...we were in prevent d all game...**** happens like that all the time when your up by 30, not matter how good your d is teams get lazy.

BTW Landry also whiffed on one of the TD passes. The one when our LB showed blitz and couldn't get back in coverage in time. Landry got juked out of his shoes.

I want safeties that can cover and make tackles. I don't care about highlight hits.
    hence why I said "if they can improve" .. there were bad reads and etc but its also week 1 and their first game in this system. week 5/6 they'll be locked into the system even much better by 12/13. What you see in week 1 is a working progress which is scary. We created turnovers at a ridiculous rate in week 1. Trust me week 1 shows the potential its not as conclusive as some make it seem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Get a ****ing clue dude...we were in prevent d all game...**** happens like that all the time when your up by 30, not matter how good your d is teams get lazy.
    So that strategy only applies to the Jets?

Last year when the Pats were up +20 points in 11 out of 16 games, all you guys said was the Pats defense sucked because they gave up so much yardage.

So which is it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Like who? Ed Reed? Landry's an excellent overall safety and has been for years. And Bell can certainly tackle. Which safeties would you have brought in?

Fitzpatrick threw for 195 yards.....on 32 attempts. That's excellent pass defense, even better than we were last year.

Landry and Bell are both upgrades in coverage. It's not the strength of their games, but they're better than what we had. Landry's not great in man to man, but he's already demonstrated an ability to play deep zone coverage better than anyone we've had since Rex got here. He made 2 INTs in preseason on overthrown passes where he ranged over to the sideline from the middle of the field. He'll turn a couple of would-be overthrown incompletions into turnovers this year.

Veteran
    So that strategy only applies to the Jets?

Last year when the Pats were up +20 points in 11 out of 16 games, all you guys said was the Pats defense sucked because they gave up so much yardage.

So which is it?
    Im not disagreeing with you there....same goes with gb last year

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

great post, the best thing about facing The Steelers this
    year is that they no longer have an elite OC, that more
    than anything changes that team- hope Rex goes
    back to being aggressive like he was in '10.