Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitzpatrick: "They were probably more vanilla than they have been in the past"

Fitzpatrick: "They were probably more vanilla than they have been in the past"

All Pro
    A. If the Jets were so Vanilla, what does S*itzpatrick do when a Defense is throwing the kitchen sink at him? Throw 8 INTS?

B. If the Jets were so Vanilla, what happens when we open the bag of tricks? Score 70?

More from Fitz: "they were out there just playing with us"

I suspect what this means, is that once we were up by so much, Rex decided to put his playbook of exotic blitzes in his back pocket, and just play them as straight up as possible, to give future opponents as little worthwhile game tape to analyze as possible.

It would be right in line with what Sparano had to say about the Wildcat, in that with such a lead, he didn't feel the need to trop out some of the more elaborate plays they had drawn up....

Little moves like this, equate to added victories down the line.

All League
    Maybe it looked like Vanilla...but it was really Chocolate...hmmmm

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I suspect what this means, is that once we were up by so much, Rex decided to put his playbook of exotic blitzes in his back pocket, and just play them as straight up as possible, to give future opponents as little worthwhile game tape to analyze as possible.

It would be right in line with what Sparano had to say about the Wildcat, in that with such a lead, he didn't feel the need to trop out some of the more elaborate plays they had drawn up....

Spot on.

+1
    Plus we didn't try to outthink ourselves something we have done MANY times in the past 6 years

Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Maybe it looked like Vanilla...but it was really Chocolate...hmmmm
    This

The Bills probably expected some funky looks so were thrown off by the "vanila" formations. They might've outsmarted themselves.

Practice Squad
    Simple, there were fewer blitzes because four rushers plus maybin can collapse the pocket. So fewer multiple LB and safety blitzes.

Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    Simple, there were fewer blitzes because four rushers plus maybin can collapse the pocket. So fewer multiple LB and safety blitzes.
    and the cbs seemed to know to jump the routes b/c fitz likes those short passes. it's not a coincidence that 3 cbs had picks, they seemed to be looking for them like everyone did with sanchez last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL!

"Vanilla"....oh how we went crazy in the preseason hearing Rex talk about playing vanilla and not game planning, etc. when the Jets went 0-4.

This goes with what I said on another thread earlier. I never got the impression we were doing anything exotic. Rex kept it in cruise control. There's more goodies in Rex's bag!!

Eat a bag of dicks Buffalo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Without question we were vanilla on defense. Saw very few if any of Rex's trademark overload blitzes.

"Fitzpatrick... f*ck him!"

-- everyone

Rex is a Master Chef of D. He can whip up many kinds of dishes...with flavors that hide it's true content.

He has many ingredients to work with this year. And Sparano was invited to do some cooking with the Master too.

Together...they plan to collaborate on serving up some legendary dishes...that they hope Jets fans will find to be of gourmet quality. While at the same time...these dishes leave a bitter taste of defeat...in the mouths of Jets opponents.

Hopefully it will end some day...with a great Feast celebrated...at the Canyon Of Heroes. To be washed down in champagne.

Aahhh...how sweet a taste that would be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Without question we were vanilla on defense. Saw very few if any of Rex's trademark overload blitzes.
    I think we became very vanilla on O as well. Once the Jets went up by 3 TDs I think Rex and Sparano were like, "let's not show any crazy Wildcat stuff...keep things in the bag of tricks for when we might need them."

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I think we became very vanilla on O as well. Once the Jets went up by 3 TDs I think Rex and Sparano were like, "let's not show any crazy Wildcat stuff...keep things in the bag o' dicks for when we might need them."
    fixed.

All League
    It's a bit surprising Fitzpatrick would admit to this. His statement further highlights how awful his performance was, now that he's admitted that the Jets weren't even giving him challenging looks on defense. It could have been much worse, which should be alarming to everyone associated with Buffalo, and encouraging to the Jets.