Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg Cosell's Film Room: Jets Offense vs Jills Defense

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    So then what do you make of this?
    What's wrong with a grinder? He pretty much is always going forward..rarely is he going backwards (negative yardage). He's not flashy...We all know that.

Who is out there any better at this point? Let's see how the running looks once the OL comes together..

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mangold acknowledged this post-game..Get this straightened out before all this talk here of needing another RB..
    Still thinking/hoping that it had something to do with the starting line not getting a whole lot of work as a single unit in the preseason. More time they spend together, the better.

All Pro
    · Sanchez excellent job changing cadence and snap count

This is a big reason for the extra time he had to throw IMO. It allows the linemen to get a jump on the dline. That first punch. He has alway been good at this, but last year they were lucky to get the snap off, most of the time. Little things that mean so much. I can't wait until next week to know for sure whether it's the Jets that are this good, or if the Bills are that bad.

All Pro
    What's wrong with a grinder? He pretty much is always going forward..rarely is he going backwards (negative yardage). He's not flashy...We all know that.

Who is out there any better at this point? Let's see how the running looks once the OL comes together..
    He gets better as the game goes on, and as the season wears on. Last year he average 4.6 ypc over the second half, after a slow start. This is one place where the stats don't lie. He has no big runs to skew the stats, and almost never takes a loss. I don't think he had a negative play in the game. One tackle at the line if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He gets better as the game goes on, and as the season wears on. Last year he average 4.6 ypc over the second half, after a slow start. This is one place where the stats don't lie. He has no big runs to skew the stats, and almost never takes a loss. I don't think he had a negative play in the game. One tackle at the line if I remember right.
    Thank you for backing me up!

I know he has limitations - catching out of the backfield but like you point out rarely does he lose yardage...

Hall Of Fame
    If they keep giving him 27 carries a game, I dont think he will make it through the season.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Still thinking/hoping that it had something to do with the starting line not getting a whole lot of work as a single unit in the preseason. More time they spend together, the better.
    Slauson did not look good run blocking, and Brick never will be a mauler. Besides that they were stacking the box. Kudos to Sporano for sticking with it. You know Shotty didn't know how to do that.

What was very evident to me, and something that always plagued he-who-shall-not-be-named, is Sparano saw McKelvin as the weak link and designed plays to take advantage of his limitations. His predecessor always tried to over think things and get too cute.

The difference in the two was quite amazing to watch.

Slauson did not look good run blocking, and Brick never will be a mauler. Besides that they were stacking the box. Kudos to Sporano for sticking with it. You know Shotty didn't know how to do that.
    I'd just love to see some of the holes that other teams open up, and to see our feature back hitting for some nice, down field runs.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    What was very evident to me, and something that always plagued he-who-shall-not-be-named, is Sparano saw McKelvin as the weak link and designed plays to take advantage of his limitations. His predecessor always tried to over think things and get too cute.

So you are saying Sparano didnt try to force HIS game plan regardless of the situation and weakness of the other team??

Steelers secondary is worse than the Bills. Their d-line may not be better, either. Regardless, they are a better team defense, so it will be more competetive, but lets not think we are going against the 85 Bears.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post

+1 An offense based on mismatches is so much easier on a QB. It may not be rocket science but it works! Create isolation and exploit! Good sound old fashioned football values. Schotty would design a ten point pass play just to gain five yards

Practice Squad
    With regards to Shonn Greene, he hits the hole very slowly. Has to get better at that. I really liked the way Powell would turn his body sideways to slip between defenders for an extra couple of yards. I think Powell will get more carries.

As for McKnight; he's unbelievably horrible at blocking. On one play Tebow got a carry from inside the ten. The play was well designed, the Jets had one more blocker that the Bills had defenders. McKnight, the lead blocker was supposed to hit the safety (or LB?) who had containment on the outside. Mangold went inside to provide an additional push towards the goal line. All other Bills defenders were bottled up. McKnight completely ignored the block and headed upfield with Mangold. Well, the Safety (or LB) tackled Tebow for a 1 yard gain. Why this guy refuses to block at all is completely irritating.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    This is a great Bullet point analysis of the game.

· Sanchez some excellent throws outside the numbers, Positive step
    This has been Sanchez's weakness since defenses started to notice this and is the difference between an average QB or a good QB in NFL. I didn't expect it would be his kryptonite because he can make all the NFL throws yet he just hasn't proved it YET. This negative has killed Sanchez so far since defenses are not respecting him effecting his overall skills. His rookie year disguised this and started to be a problem his sophmore year until last season it was obvious.

Mangold acknowledged this post-game..Get this straightened out before all this talk here of needing another RB..
    Well, the same guy who wrote this up mentioned that Greene was a "grinder and sustainer, nothing more."

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If they keep giving him 27 carries a game, I dont think he will make it through the season.
    Yeah, someone gotta tell him it's okay not to SEEK OUT contact.

This is a big reason for the extra time he had to throw IMO. It allows the linemen to get a jump on the dline.
    That first punch. He has alway been good at this, but last year they were lucky to get the snap off, most of the time. Little things that mean so much. I can't wait until next week to know for sure whether it's the Jets that are this good, or if the Bills are that bad.
    When I was looking at film of this game...I noticed that Sanchez was getting the ball snapped, most of the time, with 7-10 seconds still left on the play clock. Not giving the pass rushers a chance to time their rush with the snap.

If you snap it with 1-3 seconds on play clock, this is an advantage to the pass rush. And puts extra pressure on OL protection.

Sanchez did very good job getting in and out of the huddle...making audibles...and getting the plays off quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    This has been Sanchez's weakness since defenses started to notice this and is the difference between an average QB or a good QB in NFL. I didn't expect it would be his kryptonite because he can make all the NFL throws yet he just hasn't proved it YET. This negative has killed Sanchez so far since defenses are not respecting him effecting his overall skills. His rookie year disguised this and started to be a problem his sophmore year until last season it was obvious.
    Sanchez was much more confident in this game and mixed the throws well. Arm strength appears to be good with a quick, decisive release

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Sanchez was much more confident in this game and mixed the throws well. Arm strength appears to be good with a quick, decisive release
    He definitely did. He has to be confident he can throw outside the numbers on a consistent basis and you're going to see a much better Sanchez. The difference will be night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    This is a great Bullet point analysis of the game. Made a point of mentioning Cumberland as a good athlete. Good stuff...

JETS OFFENSE VERSUS BUFFALO DEFENSE
    · Howard started at RT
    · Tebow played the 1st snap at TE
    · Bills predominant sub-package was dime: McKelvin slot corner, Scott dime LB
    · Scott also played nickel LB
    · Hill “z”, Holmes “x” in base personnel
    · Jets helped Howard on Williams on first 3rd + long, Powell chip
    · Tebow 1st QB snap was 4th play, Speed sweep to McKnight (3 yds)
    · Gilmore a physical press corner, Willing to mix it up
    · Cumberland good athlete with ability to detach from formation
    · Gilmore and Williams a lot of press, especially versus base
    · Jets featured snaps with 6 OL, Smith was the extra OL
    · Kerley 21 yds on 3rd + 7 on 1st TD drive, Howard one-on-one versus Williams
    · Powell was the Jets 3rd down back, not McKnight
    · Kerley 12 yd TD came from slot versus McKelvin man-to-man
    · Kerley versus McKelvin was a matchup the Jets exploited
    · Sanchez was decisive with his reads and throws
    · Kerley aligned all over the formation, Movable chess piece
    · Hill 33 yd TD came versus “quarters”, Stutter-go beat Gilmore
    · Gilmore more comfortable in press at this point
    · Hill aligned both outside and in the slot
    · Sanchez made accurate throws versus both man and zone in 3rd + short situations
    · RT Howard won individual pass protection matchup versus Williams
    · Sanchez excellent on 3rd down: Decisive and accurate
    · Jets featured 2 back sets in run game, Connor significant snaps
    · Sanchez some excellent throws outside the numbers, Positive step
    · McKnight the forgotten man, Only played in Tebow packages
    · Bills mixed man and zone on 3rd down
    · Greene’s carries a function of score; Grinder and sustainer, nothing more
    · Sanchez looked like confident and decisive, Good ball location
    · Jets run blocked better than preseason but still need work
    · McKelvin struggled in man-to-man in the slot
    · Tebow 6 snaps at QB through 41-7 in the 3rd quarter
    · Sanchez on 3rd down: 7-10, 73 yds, TD; All 7 were conversions
    Best stat of em' all, especially that last part.