Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hooking TV to PC?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    slightly off topic here but i'm hoping for help - is there a way to watch nfl network games on the computer if your cable network doesn't carry it?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post

You can use an DVI to HDMI adapter. Something like this: http://www.bing.com/shopping/dvi-to-...pter&FORM=HURE

It's all just a digital signal, so there is no conversion going on - it's very simple tech.

The real question - as I have never done it - is if you know how to get your internet browser to actually output to your pc's DVI port. I assume you can, but you'll need to answer that question too.
    If I remember correctly, once you hook that puppy up to the tv, you'll see on tv whatever is showing on your laptop.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    slightly off topic here but i'm hoping for help - is there a way to watch nfl network games on the computer if your cable network doesn't carry it?
    Only on replay with NFL.com streams . . .

One nice feature is the condensed games, so you watch the game in 30 mins or so
    Last edited by adpz; 09-12-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Yes. Might not look great going from laptop screen to 60", though. I personally haven't tried it yet.

Might be some "handshake" issues, too. I have experienced that with my laptop/TV and blu-rays.
    actually, the quality is nearly as HD good as your video card, RAM and processing speed will allow

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please keep in mind that DVI handles video ONLY, you will not be transmitting any sound through a DVI-to-HDMI connection. If your computer has an optical out, you can run sound that way.

Also, check and see what resolution your laptop supports... while many laptops can output 1080p, not all can, if you have some sort of lowend integrated graphics card, it may not be able to handle it.

If you give me the make and model of the laptop, i could give you a more complete answer, i have done this on one of my PC's,

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have a couple options...

Via PC output: Since you have no HDMI out on your PC, you're going to be looking for a DVI (digital visual interface) or VGA (video graphics array, older) output (you can search Google images on what these look like).

Also, you must have a DVI or VGA (can be labeled as PC) input on your television. Located on either the back or side, the inputs are usually labeled.

If you do not have matching interfaces between your TV and PC, you may have to go buy a DVI-VGA adapter or vice-versa (shouldn't be more than $15).

One thing to note - since this is a streaming service, quality will not be that great, no matter the resolution of your TV or PC. You might also experience some interruptions in video due to buffering times.

Or, you can grab an HDMI-DVI adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812270286).

One upside to HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) is that it incorporates both medias into one cable (audio and visual) - DVI/VGA does not as they only transmit video. Therefore, you will need to run an audio cable from the sound card on your PC to an audio input on your television (usually located on the back) oftentimes 3.5 mm in size. Mind you, VGA has been around since around when I was born.

Once either one of these steps are done, you'll need to change the output from your PC's monitor to the TV. Typically, it's under Control Panel > Display. For a more capable display, you'll want to use a higher resolution. Make sure your output device is through either the DVI or VGA outputs.

This just a basic overview. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to walk you through the process...
    Last edited by AbstraKt; 09-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post

One thing to note - since this is a streaming service, quality will not be that great, no matter the resolution of your TV or PC. You might also experience some interruptions in video due to buffering times.
    I doubt this is true. While i haven't any experience with NFL rewind, 1080p streaming is pretty common now. Netflix, amazon, and pretty much any site that streams movies offers a 1080p stream. Obviously your connection is going to have to be good enough to pull the stream down at that quality, but again - these days that's pretty common. It's also easy enough to check.. go to ESPN3, or whatever streaming services you have access to for free, and see what quality your able to stream at.

What i would be more concerned about is the ability of your video card to process 1080p. Because if your monitor isn't running at 1080p resolution, even though you download a 1080p stream that's not the quality you're actually getting, and therefore your card isn't working as hard as it would be to render the image on your HDTV.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I did this last fall to watch a game on ESPN3. Depending on the age of your laptop, you can either do a hdmi to hdmi type hookup OR you may have to do a VGA to hdmi hookup, which is what I had to do. I bought the VGA to HDMI cable from Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. Also, and this is a big ALSO, to get sound, you'll need to connect the audio output jack of the laptop to the TV Audio IN jack that is on the same input selector as the video.

Best Buy has info on it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electron...at212600050003
    Who are you?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Who are you?
    I make ribz.