Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooking TV to PC?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hooking TV to PC?

All the chatter about NFL rewind makes me want to order the service. NFL rewind sounds excellent. Here's my question-sorry if it's simplistic-I'm somewhat technically challenged...I bought a new 60''Sharp LC LED aquos-It's AWESOME after a thousand years of the old sony 36" trinitron...Anyway, how do I hook up my computer to the tv? The manual seems to indicate I can go HDMI cable straight from the back of my pc into the tv then there is a whole other section on wireless LAN so I can see internet on the TV. If I go HDMI direct won't this be like having a giant computer monitor which would enable me to do all my computer functions and view them on the 60"??

Because if I get NFL rewind I'm wanting to see it on the big screen and it seems that it's an internet-based service...

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Nice win for our JETS!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Might not look great going from laptop screen to 60", though. I personally haven't tried it yet.

Might be some "handshake" issues, too. I have experienced that with my laptop/TV and blu-rays.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, isn't the NFL stuff available [to be streamed to your tv] through the Apple TV device? It's like $99 - you may want to look into that. This solution cuts the computer out of the loop.

Yes, if your computer has an HDMI output [does it??] you can definitely hook it right into the TV. If not, there are various adapters that you can buy that will convert whatever type of output you have into an HDMI signal for the TV.

Of course, just because it uses HDMI does not mean you'll get great signal quality. In my experience with Netflix - which works on both my PC and Apple TV, the Apple TV version - on my 55" - is superior.

Hope this helps a bit!

EDIT: Apple Tv and Roku have a bunch of sports, just not football

There used to be this kind of device: http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...vunowshort.htm

That would do exactly what you are talking about - but I don't know if it is made anymore. It's a pretty simple thing tech-wise though. I would pass by Best Buy if I were you - there is probably a very easy answer.
    Last edited by adpz; 09-12-2012 at 08:57 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go to the Apple store and get Apple TV. Best $99.00 you will spend. You can stream via your wireless home internet from your laptop, ipad, tablet. You can stream the games and movies. Go to the apple store and ask a bunch of questions.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thers a connection that plugs into the computers USB and then can go into a hdmi port. I got mine at best buy, used my MacBook a lot to watch movies I downloaded. Goto radio shack or best buy and they'll help you out. If the thing playing in Hd on your computer, it'll play in Hd on your tv with the hdmi hook up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer is yes. You tv has a resolution of 1920x1080 ... As long as your computer has at least this resolution you should b golden. Most PCs have at least the resolution.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    IIRC, isn't the NFL stuff available [to be streamed to your tv] through the Apple TV device? It's like $99 - you may want to look into that. This solution cuts the computer out of the loop.

Yes, if your computer has an HDMI output [does it??] you can definitely hook it right into the TV. If not, there are various adapters that you can buy that will convert whatever type of output you have into an HDMI signal for the TV.

Of course, just because it uses HDMI does not mean you'll get great signal quality. In my experience with Netflix - which works on both my PC and Apple TV, the Apple TV version - on my 55" - is superior.

Hope this helps a bit!

EDIT: Apple Tv and Roku have a bunch of sports, just not football

There used to be this kind of device: http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...vunowshort.htm

That would do exactly what you are talking about - but I don't know if it is made anymore. It's a pretty simple thing tech-wise though. I would pass by Best Buy if I were you - there is probably a very easy answer.
    CAn you use Roku to go to any site you want like a browser (let's say a site that shows games without permission) and send it to your TV ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure you can....I do it all the time. My TV has an RGB input on it...I just plug it into the laptop and set it up as a secondary monitor and adjust the display resolution until it looks right.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did this last fall to watch a game on ESPN3. Depending on the age of your laptop, you can either do a hdmi to hdmi type hookup OR you may have to do a VGA to hdmi hookup, which is what I had to do. I bought the VGA to HDMI cable from Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. Also, and this is a big ALSO, to get sound, you'll need to connect the audio output jack of the laptop to the TV Audio IN jack that is on the same input selector as the video.

Best Buy has info on it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electron...at212600050003

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just realized I DON'T have an hdmi output on my pc-thought I did but it apprears to be a an eSATA port....sooooo back to the question: NFL rewind seems to be an internet-based service. (I don't see it listed as available through the cable company...) so therefore if I get this Apple TV device I can then stream this to my tv???

How about if I want to show clients (I'm a photographer) some images when they visit my office on the big screen??

Thanks all!

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    Just realized I DON'T have an hdmi output on my pc-thought I did but it apprears to be a an eSATA port....sooooo back to the question: NFL rewind seems to be an internet-based service. (I don't see it listed as available through the cable company...) so therefore if I get this Apple TV device I can then stream this to my tv???

How about if I want to show clients (I'm a photographer) some images when they visit my office on the big screen??

Thanks all!
    Does your pc have a dvi port?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Yes. Might not look great going from laptop screen to 60", though. I personally haven't tried it yet.

Might be some "handshake" issues, too. I have experienced that with my laptop/TV and blu-rays.

you'll need a pc with HD HDMI output to handle live streaming, and wifi ... set your tv to aux for the port you're plugged into and BAM, 60" of JETS TV

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    what does a dvi port look like????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How far will you seat from TV?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    what does a dvi port look like????

You can use an DVI to HDMI adapter. Something like this: http://www.bing.com/shopping/dvi-to-...pter&FORM=HURE

It's all just a digital signal, so there is no conversion going on - it's very simple tech.

The real question - as I have never done it - is if you know how to get your internet browser to actually output to your pc's DVI port. I assume you can, but you'll need to answer that question too.
    Last edited by adpz; 09-12-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Odds are you have a VGA output on your computer. You will need an adapter.

NFL Rewind is HD. Although I have never hooked it up to the TV.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-12-2012 at 10:13 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Odds are you have a VGA output on your computer. You will need an adapter.

NFL Rewind is HD. Although I have never hooked it up to the TV.
    This one http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-HDMI-V.../dp/B0015YWV1G

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking your BEST answer will come from your TV's manual, whether paper, or online version.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How far is your couch from the TV?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    How far is your couch from the TV?
    Plus is the TV a plasma or a Kenwood.

Kenmore?