Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the media again

Looking fwd to that WCO, for sure. Listen, I'm optimistic, but I'm also a realist.

The Jets have a l o n g history of utter mediocrity or worse. And the media are absolutely correct to question what they see, to be skeptical.

Now, we've done a lot to change things over the past 10 years or so, but fact is we have not been successful in turning the flywheel all the way over the top. It's a good to great argument, except we have had to establish that we're a good franchise first. We haven't gone any higher than just good.

Unlike the patriots who were very similar to the jets for so long in being a moribund franchise, we have not transformed into anything special. The pats have been utterly transformed. They've been able to turn the flywheel on fortune.

If you want to see what I am talking about here:

"Entering 2012 the Patriots have the most wins in the division's history, with a record of 414-365-9, with a playoff record of 23-16 (3-4 in Super Bowls). The Dolphins are second at 400-300-4 (having played 84 fewer games than their division rivals) with a playoff record of 20-20 (2-3 in Super Bowls). The Bills are at 364-416-8 with a playoff record of 14-15 but winless having gone to four consecutive Super Bowls. The Jets presently hold a record of 359-421-8, with a playoff record of 12-13 including victory in Super Bowl III. The Patriots and Dolphins have won 14 division titles apiece; the Bills have won ten division titles, and the Jets have won four." -wikipedia

Let's all be realistic here. I want the franhise to show me elite as much as anyone. And when I see I'll believe it. I'm hard to impress. We can start this week in pittsburgh. And then revisit this when the season is winding down.

Question

It just dawned on me that the pats have been to as many superbowls as division titlles the jets have won. And the giants have 4 SB titles to our 4 division titles.

If that isn't sobering....don't know what is. U can't blame the media when the jets share the stadium with the Giants.

Actually, it should be motivation.

You gotta love how the bills went from being this big time threat with an improved D to being an absolutely terrible team with no D. Gotta love the media.

No matter what we do, we'll get no respect.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    You gotta love how the bills went from being this big time threat with an improved D to being an absolutely terrible team with no D. Gotta love the media.

No matter what we do, we'll get no respect.
    Right, how many "analysts" did you hear talking about how their D-line could be the most dominant.... oh well

Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Right, how many "analysts" did you hear talking about how their D-line could be the most dominant.... oh well
    Indeed. I'm not even saying we're world-beaters now. I'm just saying we're better than we’ve gotten credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Indeed. I'm not even saying we're world-beaters now. I'm just saying we're better than we’ve gotten credit for.
    Why is that important?

I've never understood fans who complain that their team isn't getting enough credit, yet mock the very people from whom they want "credit" to be given.

Why is it important to you that the media give the Jets "credit" for something?

I seriously love the way the media jerks off.

In almost all the NFL Preview publications I read before had the Bills fnishing SECOND in the DIVISON behind the Bradys.
    Their much improved pass rush and defense and Stevie Johnson "owning" Revis was going to elevate them past the Jets blah blah blah, now all of the sudden the Bills suck. hahahahaha

SMD media.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    90% of your colleagues with disagree with your last point.

Although you are 100% correct about elite teams winning their own division, your colleagues think that backing into the 6th round playoff seed as a WC is just as impressive.

It's not.
    it's not as "impressive" but it serves the same purpose.

once you're in the playoffs, it's a whole new ballgame.

Quote Originally Posted by John in CT View Post
    Why is that important?

I've never understood fans who complain that their team isn't getting enough credit, yet mock the very people from whom they want "credit" to be given.

Why is it important to you that the media give the Jets "credit" for something?
    Because it's a nice change from the daily "lol jest" that we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    it's not as "impressive" but it serves the same purpose.

once you're in the playoffs, it's a whole new ballgame.
    There are only three things you can win in the NFL: Division, Conference, Superbowl.

The wildcard gives you an opportunity to win your Conference and/or the Superbowl.

If you take advantage of that opportunity and win your Conference Championship and/or the Superbowl, then you've won something. If you get knocked out as a wildcard team, you've won nothing.

All League
    It's up to the jets to get to business. I think they will use this media negativity to their advantage.

There are only three things you can win in the NFL: Division, Conference, Superbowl.

The wildcard gives you an opportunity to win your Conference and/or the Superbowl.

If you take advantage of that opportunity and win your Conference Championship and/or the Superbowl, then you've won something. If you get knocked out as a wildcard team, you've won nothing.
    i'd love for the Jets to win the division year in and year out like the Pasts* have done for the last decade.

it would certainly be nice to have a home playoff game every once in a while. i'm sure the players would appreciate it, as well.

but at the end of the day every team is playing for one thing and one thing only: the Super Bowl. if you don't win the big game, your Division/Conference titles are pretty much meaningless in the grand scheme of things. they're nice banners, nothing more.

i'd love for the Jets to win the division year in and year out like the Pasts* have done for the last decade.

it would certainly be nice to have a home playoff game every once in a while. i'm sure the players would appreciate it, as well.

but at the end of the day every team is playing for one thing and one thing only: the Super Bowl. if you don't win the big game, your Division/Conference titles are pretty much meaningless in the grand scheme of things. they're nice banners, nothing more.
    I agree, sort of.

But, if you hold to the theory that only the Superbowl winner has had a sucessful year, it kind of makes the whole exercise meaningless for fans of the other 31 teams.

The way I look at it is three goals: division first, conference second, Superbowl third.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree, sort of.

But, if you hold to the theory that only the Superbowl winner has had a sucessful year, it kind of makes the whole exercise meaningless for fans of the other 31 teams.

The way I look at it is three goals: division first, conference second, Superbowl third.
    So by that notion, getting to a Conference Championship game as a Wild Card would be considered what? Technically you havent won anything, but are one step from the Super Bowl. Is it a successful season or not?

Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    I seriously love the way the media jerks off.

In almost all the NFL Preview publications I read before had the Bills fnishing SECOND in the DIVISON behind the Bradys.
    Their much improved pass rush and defense and Stevie Johnson "owning" Revis was going to elevate them past the Jets blah blah blah, now all of the sudden the Bills suck. hahahahaha

SMD media.

Revis wasn't having none of that Stevie Johnson trash up in his house.

The one I am loving to read is that the Jets D is bad against the run because Spiller broke two long one's (which is all he can really do) when the D really packed it in after Halftime.

This week's game is going to be a good one, I think.

I can't WAIT to play the Pats though. To me it always comes down to that.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So by that notion, getting to a Conference Championship game as a Wild Card would be considered what? Technically you havent won anything, but are one step from the Super Bowl. Is it a successful season or not?
    In my opinion, no. You didn't win any of the three things that are out there to win.

Enjoyable? Yes.

Exciting? Sure.

But, in my opinion, it's not a successful season.

But, again, that's just my opinion. That's why words like "successful" and "elite" at the end of the day mean nothing. You might consider something "successful" and I might not. I might consider a team "elite" and you might not.

Bottom line is there are only three things you can win: Division, Conference, Superbowl.

A successful regular season ends with a division championship.

A successful playoff run ends with a conference championship.

And, a successful Superbowl ends with raising the Lombardi Trophy.

I agree, sort of.

no, i'm not saying that only the SB winner is successful. i think success is relative to each team in terms of what it actually accomplishes.

the Jets of 2009 and 2010 were successful despite not winning the Division, Conference, much less the Super Bowl. conversely, the 2011 Packers weren't all that successful despite their 15 wins and breaking all sorts of records, because they failed to win a playoff game. if Andrew Luck is as good as advertised, then the 2-14 Colts were very successful.

i'm saying that Division/Conference titles, while an accomplishment, are nothing really substantial unless you've got the SB trophies to back them up. i'm sure the early 1990's Bills would agree.

no, i'm not saying that only the SB winner is successful. i think success is relative to each team in terms of what it actually accomplishes.

the Jets of 2009 and 2010 were successful despite not winning the Division, Conference, much less the Super Bowl. conversely, the 2011 Packers weren't all that successful despite their 15 wins and breaking all sorts of records, because they failed to win a playoff game. if Andrew Luck is as good as advertised, then the 2-14 Colts were very successful.

i'm saying that Division/Conference titles, while an accomplishment, are nothing really substantial unless you've got the SB trophies to back them up. i'm sure the early 1990's Bills would agree.
    I think we're on the same page.

I agree, sort of.

For a season to be considered a success the team just needs to improve on the year before. The goal of every team is to get better the next year. To win the super bowl, everything needs to be alignment and in most cases it is more luck than anything else. that allows one playoff team to get past another. .

The pats and the Giants both need to win the superbowl for the season to be considered a success, as both teams made it the prior year. Every other team just needs to improve.

There is only one winner, but to call everyone's else season a failure is wrong.