Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Here comes the media again

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

but at the end of the day every team is playing for one thing and one thing only: the Super Bowl. if you don't win the big game, your Division/Conference titles are pretty much meaningless in the grand scheme of things. they're nice banners, nothing more.
    I don't agree. This is entertainment, pure and simple.

First and foremost, I want to get this out of the way: I REALLY want to win another Superbowl.

But I'm also realistic enough to realize that it's REALLY hard to do and we may NOT win another one.

Ever.

Therefore, I want to enjoy as MUCH of my Jets as possible, so I want them to go as far as they can go every year.

If we go to the next 15 AFC Championship Games in a row, but don't get to a SB, that will be REALLY disappointing, but will also make for some exciting entertainment. That's meaningful entertainment.

Listen, there is no Football God out there saying "what would you rather have, 15 years of losing football with ONE SB win or 15 years of AFC Championship Games but NO SB win". Doesn't happen that way--we don't choose the path.

When I go to the movies, I'm not expecting every single one of them to be the greatest movie ever.

I just want to be entertained.

And hopefully one of these years I DO get to see the greatest movie ever.

For me LA Confidential was our 1969 Super Bowl. Maybe this year a movie tops that.

_

^^ you should read my next post

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Who cares what the media thinks.

But it's certainly ironic that when the Jets supposed weak offense puts up big numbers against a Buffalo defense that was supposed to be much improved and even some saying dominant, the story is that Buffalo is a weak team and the Jets proved nothing.

Meanwhile, the Pats defense which was bad to questionable all last year shuts down a Titans team missing thier best WR ,with Jake Locker at QB (replaced by the ancient Matt Hasselbeck) and Chris Johnson who's done nothing in this league in two years and the Pats defense is now dominant.....

....go figure.....
    Ummm there is a reason why you are a long time poster and this excellent post shows why!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    For a season to be considered a success the team just needs to improve on the year before. The goal of every team is to get better the next year. To win the super bowl, everything needs to be alignment and in most cases it is more luck than anything else. that allows one playoff team to get past another. .

The pats and the Giants both need to win the superbowl for the season to be considered a success, as both teams made it the prior year. Every other team just needs to improve.

There is only one winner, but to call everyone's else season a failure is wrong.
    I guess my definition of "success" is different than others.

I don't rate my teams "success" by comparisons to prior years--I rate it by how much enjoyment I get out of it.

As much as I hate the Pats, I could really give a half-baked crap if some people I've never met claim dominance over my team. I work with a bunch of Pats fans, and they claim "bragging rights".

Don't really care.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John in CT View Post
    In my opinion, no. You didn't win any of the three things that are out there to win.

Enjoyable? Yes.

Exciting? Sure.

But, in my opinion, it's not a successful season.

But, again, that's just my opinion. That's why words like "successful" and "elite" at the end of the day mean nothing. You might consider something "successful" and I might not. I might consider a team "elite" and you might not.

Bottom line is there are only three things you can win: Division, Conference, Superbowl.

A successful regular season ends with a division championship.

A successful playoff run ends with a conference championship.

And, a successful Superbowl ends with raising the Lombardi Trophy.
    I hear you. For me, I separate the two Division winners who get the bye week and the rest of the playoff teams. To me if you have to play that first week of the playoffs there isnt a huge difference.

Ultimately I judge it by where was the team at the beginning of the season, and how far did they advance in the playoffs. If a team like the Rams makes the playoffs this year in any capacity it is a successful season regardless of what they do in the playoffs. If the Pats lose their first playoff game this year it is not a successful season.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    If the jets beat the steelers it will be from some: "steelers not what they once were", "not a playoff team this year".

U know it.

Jets won't get credit until they euthanize the Patriots once and for all....or at least make the division crown competitive.

We have one of the least competitve division races year in year out.
    Yup, the Pats/Brady have been great, but its a disgrace that we allow them to win the division every year. Once we unseat the pats at the top of the division, we will get all the respect we want.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I guess my definition of "success" is different than others.

I don't rate my teams "success" by comparisons to prior years--I rate it by how much enjoyment I get out of it.

As much as I hate the Pats, I could really give a half-baked crap if some people I've never met claim dominance over my team. I work with a bunch of Pats fans, and they claim "bragging rights".

Don't really care.

_
    Well that is just because you don't understand that your co-workers also take the field with the pats on sundays, so you have to understand why they feel the way they do.

it is funny when you hear fans of a high performing team make light of a poster from a less successful team, like fans of the Browns or the Cards don't know as much football as they do.

Funny how we got ZERO post game coverage after all the horse**** being spewed about us

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Well that is just because you don't understand that your co-workers also take the field with the pats on sundays, so you have to understand why they feel the way they do.

it is funny when you hear fans of a high performing team make light of a poster from a less successful team, like fans of the Browns or the Cards don't know as much football as they do.
    Or the dicks that look down on Mets fans because they happen to be entitled Yankee fans.

I went to my first Met game in 1969 when I was 10. I barely knew anything about baseball but that year I had Seaver and Koosman and Grote and Donn Clendenon-my favorite Met till Strawberry- and a World Series Championship.

I was done, a life-long fan.

In 1986 I lived in Brooklyn and that was the best baseball season I could have ever imagined--loved that team, icing on the cake.

Yet somehow because I've retained that lifetime love for the Mets, I'm a "low expectation fan", and because they root for a team willing to spend $220 million a year in payroll, they are "high expectation fans".

No, I have high expectations but sh*tty ownership that can't or won't spend $220 million a year on payroll.

Those Yankee fans should eat a bag of dicks.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    You gotta love how the bills went from being this big time threat with an improved D to being an absolutely terrible team with no D. Gotta love the media.

No matter what we do, we'll get no respect.
    That is the worst spin by the media. Kill the Jets, down play the victory, but the media's blatant flipflop on Buffalo is ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    That is the worst spin by the media. Kill the Jets, down play the victory, but the media's blatant flipflop on Buffalo is ridiculous.
    Also like to see how John Clayton ranks Sanchez versus Fitzpatrick now.

There was a thread a few weeks ago where he ranked all the QBs and he had Sanchez at 23 with the arrow pointing down and Fitzpatrick at 22 with the arrow pointing up.

LOL for the crypt-keeper.

_

Bewildered Beast
    Or the dicks that look down on Mets fans because they happen to be entitled Yankee fans.

I went to my first Met game in 1969 when I was 10. I barely knew anything about baseball but that year I had Seaver and Koosman and Grote and Donn Clendenon-my favorite Met till Strawberry- and a World Series Championship.

In 1986 I lived in Brooklyn and that was the best baseball season I could have ever imagined--loved that team, icing on the cake.

Yet somehow because I've retained that lifetime love for the Mets, I'm a "low expectation fan", and because they root for a team willing to spend $220 million a year in payroll, they are "high expectation fans".

No, I have high expectations but sh*tty ownership that can't or won't spend $220 million a year on payroll.

_
    + 1 Billionty

All Pro

_
    I agree, although I love my Yankees.

It's a numbers game. There are 32 teams in the NFL. Certain teams go on runs, where they win 2-3 Super Bowls in a 6-8 year run. Realistically, you can expect 1-2 Super Bowls in your lifetime. That's the math. If championships were even, they would win every 32 years, which means the Jets would be slightly overdue for their second.

And, you need a lot of breaks to win one. The Giants got huge breaks last year. The Pack the year before almost missed the playoffs. NE with some of theirs (tuck rule?).

My favorite thing about this week, is that the Jets have been inconspicuously quiet in the wake of their 48 point performance, per than the obligatory press conferences.

Win, lose or draw, I believe Rex is going to have them ready.

Let's beat the Steelers so we can lock and dump this and all future media threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Let's beat the Steelers so we can lock and dump this and all future media threads.
    And tell the media where to stuff it !!

All Pro
    Most of the media is banking on Pitt obliterating us in their house so that they can fuel up the hatred bandwagon again....If the Jets can win this game, or even be highly competitive, these jerkoffs will hit the panic button and start running around like chickens with their heads cutoff looking for ways to still say the Jets suck....

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    Funny how we got ZERO post game coverage after all the horse**** being spewed about us
    The circus let the media down
    Thats why. They wanted so damn bad to correct with their expert opinions. Hahahaha fools.
    They wanted Sanchez to fail so their darling, Tebow, could get some playing time and not necessarily win but do just enough to prove that they were correct in hyping the non-QB controversy.