Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 78

Thread: Here comes the media again

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    The media only swings wildly back and forth because most of them are terrible with their preseason analysis.


    The Chiefs were going to win the AFCW, the Falcons were overrated, the Bills were going to make a huge jump, the Eagles were the best team in the NFCE, the 49ers were going to crash back to earth, Newton and the Panthers were going to make a big jump, etc.

    When you do such a bad job forecasting, you wind up scrambling after Week 1.
    The other problem is, there is just too much air time to fill. Sports don't warrant 24 hour coverage. When you try to fill that much air time, you end up with too many talking heads, and too many waiting in the wings to take their place, and the only way they can stand out is to say something more outlandish than the next guy and hope that it sticks.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by John in CT View Post
    The other problem is, there is just too much air time to fill. Sports don't warrant 24 hour coverage. When you try to fill that much air time, you end up with too many talking heads, and too many waiting in the wings to take their place, and the only way they can stand out is to say something more outlandish than the next guy and hope that it sticks.
    Another issue is who the talking heads are. I'm not really a fan of all the retired players ESPN and NFLN hire. The coaches are great, and the former offensive linemen and QBs are usually good as well, the rest I could do with out (actually, add linebackers and safeties to the list of good ones). Then there are the reporters that try to be analysts, and that doesn't work either.

    The one thing I'd like to see: more scouts. Most of the stuff I've learned about football in the last 7-8 years has been from reading and listening to scouts. Of course, most of them probably don't come across well on TV, and they don't draw viewers like former players do.

  3. #23
    The jets need to win on the road against a team with a winning record for people to give them props, look at the props the Skins and Boys are getting for their victories.

    The jets were favored at home and won easily. It opened some eyes, but as a jet fan that is all you should expect after one home victory. . For example, the Bills fans are not taking solace in the fact that it was the jets they lost to.

    Now if and when the jets beat the steelers at 3 rivers, where they are not favored to win then the "the jets are for real" will start.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

    Now if and when the jets beat the steelers at 3 rivers
    The turn of the century say hi.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    If the jets beat the steelers it will be from some: "steelers not what they once were", "not a playoff team this year".

    U know it.

    Jets won't get credit until they euthanize the Patriots once and for all....or at least make the division crown competitive.

    We have one of the least competitve division races year in year out.
    if the steelers lose back to back against the Broncos and the jets, you bet they will be plenty of people 2nd guessing thier chances on making the playoffs. You start 0-2 in a division with 3 teams that had winning records they will be a lot of ? on the steelers.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    if the steelers lose back to back against the Broncos and the jets, you bet they will be plenty of people 2nd guessing thier chances on making the playoffs. You start 0-2 in a division with 3 teams that had winning records they will be a lot of ? on the steelers.
    The other point I am makinjg can't get lost either. The jets shouldn't be considered an 'elite' team unless, until they make the division competitve with the Patriots.

    I understand the Patriots are an all-century team here and if the jets were in another division it wld certainly be different...almost any other division has ups and downs more than the AFCE, where the Pats just have a forever-stranglehold.

    If u can't take the division ur only hope is the wildcard. Wildcard is not elite. It just isn't, even if u make the AFC championship twice and beat the Pats in the playoffs (good for the rivalry, yes).

    A team has to be able to do it week in week out or at least on a more consistent basis.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    The other point I am makinjg can't get lost either. The jets shouldn't be considered an 'elite' team unless, until they make the division competitve with the Patriots.

    I understand the Patriots are an all-century team here and if the jets were in another division it wld certainly be different...almost any other division has ups and downs more than the AFCE, where the Pats just have a forever-stranglehold.

    If u can't take the division ur only hope is the wildcard. Wildcard is not elite. It just isn't.
    90% of your colleagues with disagree with your last point.

    Although you are 100% correct about elite teams winning their own division, your colleagues think that backing into the 6th round playoff seed as a WC is just as impressive.

    It's not.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    The other point I am makinjg can't get lost either. The jets shouldn't be considered an 'elite' team unless, until they make the division competitve with the Patriots.

    I understand the Patriots are an all-century team here and if the jets were in another division it wld certainly be different...almost any other division has ups and downs more than the AFCE, where the Pats just have a forever-stranglehold.

    If u can't take the division ur only hope is the wildcard. Wildcard is not elite. It just isn't, even if u make the AFC championship twice and beat the Pats in the playoffs (good for the rivalry, yes).

    A team has to be able to do it week in week out or at least on a more consistent basis.
    I agree.

    In the NFL there are only three things you can win:

    1.) Your Division
    2.) Your Conference Championship
    3.) The Superbowl

    If you don't win one of those, then you didn't really win anything, IMO.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    The other point I am makinjg can't get lost either. The jets shouldn't be considered an 'elite' team unless, until they make the division competitve with the Patriots.

    I understand the Patriots are an all-century team here and if the jets were in another division it wld certainly be different...almost any other division has ups and downs more than the AFCE, where the Pats just have a forever-stranglehold.

    If u can't take the division ur only hope is the wildcard. Wildcard is not elite. It just isn't, even if u make the AFC championship twice and beat the Pats in the playoffs (good for the rivalry, yes).

    A team has to be able to do it week in week out or at least on a more consistent basis.
    So the Pats are elite, but the Giants aren't.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    90% of your colleagues with disagree with your last point.

    Although you are 100% correct about elite teams winning their own division, your colleagues think that backing into the 6th round playoff seed as a WC is just as impressive.

    It's not.
    Doesn't matter how you get to the dance, or in what order, once you are there, all bets are off from the season.

    That last comment: The New York Giants say hi...remember them?

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So the Pats are elite, but the Giants aren't.
    Giants won their division.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Totally agree with you.

    One game is virtually meaningless.
    the only thing I do not agree with is the fact that the Pats and BB have proven somethign over the years, the Jets and,,,, well lets say teh Jets, have not. it is safe to say the Pats will hold up, to a point, lets see what happens with the Jets.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So the Pats are elite, but the Giants aren't.
    That's actually true, lol. The Giants really aren't all that great.

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Floral Park, NY
    Posts
    2,945
    Alot of us have been here when the media laughed at us regularly and we’ve also seen where the media loved us…. I’ll just take the wins on the field, thank you! I’ll even take a mediocre season like the Giants were having last year, if we could finish like them…

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    If the jets beat the steelers it will be from some: "steelers not what they once were", "not a playoff team this year".

    U know it.

    Jets won't get credit until they euthanize the Patriots once and for all....or at least make the division crown competitive.

    We have one of the least competitve division races year in year out.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. The bottom line is the more controversy the media creates the more people read their papers/columns.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,698
    Under the radar = good. On the radar = Bad.

    Right now everything is good for us as the underdogs but that might change after this weekend if we manage to win on the road. Frankly the Jets do not have a very good recent history when they were favored to do well. In large part I think that explains much of the media negativity towards the Jets. When analysts have bought into program and picked the Jets, it has never turned out well for them.

    Ultimately of course all really good teams have to learn how to win when they are expected to win and being picked to win. When they are not sneaking up on anybody. Give the Pats and the Steelers and the Colts props, they have been doing it for years. We have a long ways to go yet on that score.

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,304
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The jets need to win on the road against a team with a winning record for people to give them props, look at the props the Skins and Boys are getting for their victories.

    The jets were favored at home and won easily. It opened some eyes, but as a jet fan that is all you should expect after one home victory. . For example, the Bills fans are not taking solace in the fact that it was the jets they lost to.

    Now if and when the jets beat the steelers at 3 rivers, where they are not favored to win then the "the jets are for real" will start.
    If the Steelers show up at 3 Rivers then we're all in more trouble than anyone imagined.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,304
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    90% of your colleagues with disagree with your last point.

    Although you are 100% correct about elite teams winning their own division, your colleagues think that backing into the 6th round playoff seed as a WC is just as impressive.

    It's not.
    It's not that relevant sometimes.

    Do you feel any better winning the division losing to a team that got in as a WC?

    Whining about who got in as what seed is stupid. You want to win the division, get a buy, make the road to the SB easier, get that, but you have to get in.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So the Pats are elite, but the Giants aren't.
    They have won their division, but even more than that, they have won the superbowl twice in the past few years and once a decade going back to the 1980s.

    Its true that the Pats are the class of the AFCE. Who is the class of the NFCE? It's a different team each year. Look at the last decade. The only team not to win it is the skins.

    The Pats are truly dominant. That doesn't mean we suck. They've won it 9 of the last 12 years, and year in year out. They've not gone 2 straight years without a div crown in that period. They win it when they are 16-0 and when they are 10-6.

    Going back to 96, they have more than doubled the div titles of all the other teams combined, including Indy who isn't even there anymore!
    NE-12 titles
    BIlls- 0 titles
    Jets-2 titles
    Fins 2 titles
    Colts- 1

    Fact is - if u win a SB via Wildcard, it doesn't mean u are an elite team. But it can mean that, and in the giants case, it def means something.

  20. #40
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,403
    Blah blah blah (sorry DV)

    All I know is we'll have to re-name this place "The Landry Strip" on Sunday night. I am begging that our pass rush will cause Rapistberger to toss a duck to Wallace as he's crossing in front of Landry.


    IT's like that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us