Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis not cleared for contact

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Boy, do you have it backwards. "How it works in a contract year". LOL.

If there's one player in the NFL that has nothing to prove it's Darrelle Revis.

Naive? It's naive to think that Revis and his agent won't sit this week out even if he gets clearance. His next contract is the most important, they won't risk it.

SAR I
    Revis absolutely has a lot to prove. He had, by his standards, a down year last year. He isn't going to break the bank by sitting out games. He'll do that by shutting down Brown or Wallace.

But your storyline fits your hatred for the Jets, so by all means carry on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So you think he would lie and say he not fine to avoid playing to teach the Jets a lesson? Zero chance. Guy is a competitor. Yeah, he will hold out until he gets his money next year, but I don't think he would be sending any kind of a message by lying to not play on Sunday in Pitt in front of his friends.
    It's going to be half-message half-future earnings potential.

I'd be incredibly impressed if Revis plays on Sunday.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, do you have it backwards. "How it works in a contract year". LOL.

If there's one player in the NFL that has nothing to prove it's Darrelle Revis.

Naive? It's naive to think that Revis and his agent won't sit this week out even if he gets clearance. His next contract is the most important, they won't risk it.

SAR I
    it's not quite so simple.

with all that's taken place over the past few years regarding head injuries in the NFL, once you've gotten a few concussions, your career is basically hanging by a thread. therefore, a history of concussions (even one) will reduce the value of an NFL player.

so simply having this thing classified as a concussion probably reduces Revis's value somewhat. missing a game because of it would likely reduce it a bit more.

of course, he'll get huge money either way -- we're talking about relative pennies here -- but missing this game would make him less valuable, not more.

on the other hand, every game he plays he risks getting another concussion, or another type of injury, which could reduce his value much more drastically.

so, IF he's looking at it from purely a money perspective (I'm not convinced he is, but that seems to be your assumption), he and his advisers would still be needing to weigh the benefits and the risks. the best case scenario from a money point of veiw is to play and not get injured. the second best is to not play. the worst is to play and get hurt more. it's not a totally clear choice.

I'm guessing he plays -- which will prove you wrong. if he doesn't play, it will be because docs didn't clear him, and we'll probably never know whether he was truly not fit to play, or whether he voluntarily gave the docs answers that he knew would lead to them not clearing him.

by the way, none of this would be about sending a message to the Jets about being unhappy with his contract, IMO. If he's cleared, he'll play. The question is, will he try to be cleared, or try not to be cleared. He's not going to overtly make this about contract -- that would severely reduce his value on the open market, plus it would make him a pariah with fans (which in turn, reduces his value when it comes to negotiations).
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 09-12-2012 at 04:38 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    So you think the doctor's are going to give him clearance, but Revis is going to say, no, I don't want to play just in case.

Hmmm.....I wonder how his teammates will take that?

Of all the stupid things you've said on this board for no other purpose then to start trouble, and make no mistake about it, you've said a lot of stupid things, this one takes the cake.

Revis is going to be cleared then essentially institute a one game hold out.
    That takes no cake. It's common sense. If he's cleared by doctors but still feels funny he can tell the team doctors he's not prepared to play and he won't play. And we'll never know if it was a lie, the truth, or his agent advising him to be cautious.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That takes no cake. It's common sense. If he's cleared by doctors but still feels funny he can tell the team doctors he's not prepared to play and he won't play. And we'll never know if it was a lie, the truth, or his agent advising him to be cautious.

SAR I
    I've learned to never say never, but I really doubt this would happen.

If doesn't want to play, it would be easy enough for him to fake symptoms and not be cleared.

With the protocols as cautious as they are now, being cleared basically means he feels fine. If he's cleared, he'll play.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Jets/Steelers National game. Simms/Nantz.

SAR, I like your posts but lately they have been awful. Revis isnt missing this game. The contract stuff is over until the offseason. Sitting this one out does nothing for him.

Revis is in football mode now. He would not miss this game for anything.

Get back to posting good stuff SAR. your still in preseason form.
    Sorry you don't agree with the theory, doesn't make it less valid than 90% of the other crap we talk about on the board.

Revis and his agent have very little to gain by him starting on Sunday and a major amount to lose if indeed he's got some trepidation. Not exactly grassy-knoll caliber controversy here.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    it's not quite so simple.

with all that's taken place over the past few years regarding head injuries in the NFL, once you've gotten a few concussions, your career is basically hanging by a thread. therefore, a history of concussions (even one) will reduce the value of an NFL player.

so simply having this thing classified as a concussion probably reduces Revis's value somewhat. missing a game because of it would likely reduce it a bit more.

of course, he'll get huge money either way -- we're talking about relative pennies here -- but missing this game would make him less valuable, not more.

on the other hand, every game he plays he risks getting another concussion, or another type of injury, which could reduce his value much more drastically.

so, IF he's looking at it from purely a money perspective (I'm not convinced he is, but that seems to be your assumption), he and his advisers would still be needing to weigh the benefits and the risks. the best case scenario from a money point of veiw is to play and not get injured. the second best is to not play. the worst is to play and get hurt more. it's not a totally clear choice.

I'm guessing he plays -- which will prove you wrong. if he doesn't play, it will be because docs didn't clear him, and we'll probably never know whether he was truly not fit to play, or whether he voluntarily gave the docs answers that he knew would lead to them not clearing him.

by the way, none of this would be about sending a message to the Jets about being unhappy with his contract, IMO. If he's cleared, he'll play. The question is, will he try to be cleared, or try not to be cleared. He's not going to overtly make this about contract -- that would severely reduce his value on the open market, plus it would make him a pariah with fans (which in turn, reduces his value when it comes to negotiations).
    If he's medically cleared yet uncomfortable with playing, he'll inform the Jets and the Jets will announce he wasn't cleared to play. These things are private consultations between the player and the team and the independent doctor.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he's medically cleared yet uncomfortable with playing, he'll inform the Jets and the Jets will announce he wasn't cleared to play. These things are private consultations between the player and the team and the independent doctor.

SAR I
    So you are saying that we won't know either way the true cause for him to hypothetically not be playing .

But you will just assume its based on Revis not wanting to risk injury after he has been medically cleared.

Typical SAR.

You are a caricature of all things wrong with sports fans.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    I disagree with how this hypothetically would go down (see my second post in this thread, above)...but I guess the end result is the same either way -- we'd be told he wasn't cleared to play.

again, I'm guessing this won't happen. I think he's cleared and plays.

edit: by the way, if he does it the way you're suggestion he will, he risks it being leaked out that he was actually cleared, but opted not to play.
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 09-12-2012 at 05:00 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    So you are saying that we won't know either way.

But you will just assume its based on Revis not wanting to risk injury.

Typical SAR.

You are a caricature of all things wrong with sports fans.
    What the hell are you talking about? Like any other JI poster, I'm offering an opinion, not some contest to be right or wrong.

My theory, ooh, so hard to fathom, is that an expensive player with a history of money-centric selfish behavior will have a decision to make. There are three potential outcomes:

Doctor clears him, he plays.

Doctor clears him, he doesn't play.

Doctor doesn't clear him, he doesn't play.

If he were some mid-tier player with nothing much to lose he'd suit up and play, of course. But he's the best player at his position, he's feeling underpaid, and he's already playing this season begrudgingly, under protest. Since concussions are cumulative injuries, should he play at Pittsburgh, take another hit to the head (God forbid) and get a full-on concussion that hurts him financially.

My son plays Pop Warner, and if he took a shot to the head and the doctors said he could play, I'm sitting him on Sunday, giving him two full weeks to heal just as a precaution. And I'm just a dad, not a 27 year old player with one contract left worth multiple millions on a team that's not very good and has shown him disrespect (in his mind) the past two seasons.

What I'm saying is a possibility. That's it. A possibility.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    All players take a baseline test in training camp! If you get diagnosed with a concussion of any kind you will be administered the test again. You get evaluated against how you did when you took the test healthy in training camp. If you score the same or higher you get cleared to play....

Hopefully Revis tanked the test in training camp!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I disagree with how this hypothetically would go down (see my second post in this thread, above)...but I guess the end result is the same either way -- we'd be told he wasn't cleared to play.

again, I'm guessing this won't happen. I think he's cleared and plays.
    The Jets would never, ever come out and say "Revis was cleared to play but chose not to".

Instead they'll say "We spoke to the doctor and to Darrelle and both Darrelle and the New York Jets feel it's best if he takes this week off and heals fully, don't want to lose him for half the season and rush him back to soon."

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    All players take a baseline test in training camp! If you get diagnosed with a concussion of any kind you will be administered the test again. You get evaluated against how you did when you took the test healthy in training camp. If you score the same or higher you get cleared to play....

Hopefully Revis tanked the test in training camp!
    Or, he tanks the test now so that he's guaranteed to miss the week.

Look, we're going to lose anyway. As a fan, I don't want Darrelle playing this game. There's no need to have him re-injured in a blowout.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets would never, ever come out and say "Revis was cleared to play but chose not to".

Instead they'll say "We spoke to the doctor and to Darrelle and both Darrelle and the New York Jets feel it's best if he takes this week off and heals fully, don't want to lose him for half the season and rush him back to soon."

SAR I
    Why don't we just cross that bridge when we get there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Why don't we just cross that bridge when we get there.
    Good idea.

Shut down the thread, let's not have any conversation on the subject. Let's not use the discussion forum for its intended purpose.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    The flaw in your thinking here, Sar, is that saying he "doesn't feel quite right" or even saying he's not comfortable with playing is, according to my understanding of the new protocols, enough for the doctors to not clear him.

again, it's really just semantics about the process...and who knows, maybe you're correct...I just think he'd probably tell the docs he still had a headache or something, rather than get cleared and then say he doesn't want to play.

like I've said all the way through, I think your whole premise is wrong.

and by the way, no matter what the Jets say officially, there's a good chance that if Revis is cleared, then opts not to play, it would leak out somehow. that info getting out actually helps the Jets in negotiations with him -- so they'd probably want it to leak, even if they don't want to officially throw him under the bus.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    You may be on something...
    fixed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    So you think the doctor's are going to give him clearance, but Revis is going to say, no, I don't want to play just in case.

Hmmm.....I wonder how his teammates will take that?

Of all the stupid things you've said on this board for no other purpose then to start trouble, and make no mistake about it, you've said a lot of stupid things, this one takes the cake.

Revis is going to be cleared then essentially institute a one game hold out.
    I'd say his Matt Leinart campaign and then his "who is Matt Leinart?" rebuttal took the cake in the stupidity department.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's going to be half-message half-future earnings potential.

I'd be incredibly impressed if Revis plays on Sunday.

SAR I
    But you just said:

Everyone's naive and he won't risk it. Statement of fact.

OR

You'd be incredibly impressed if he played. Covering your ass in case your statement of fact is wrong.

So which one is it?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Sounds plausible; however I bet there is language in the contract that would address this issue (since Revis is so highly valued) before it arises; ie playing time/concussions.