Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *All-22 Film Breakdown*

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

*All-22 Film Breakdown*

"All-22" Film breakdown from a Buffalo reporter....quality stuff....

WHITE: Eye in the Sky Week 1 - Mario's Debut

I took a look at every passing play from Mark Sanchez in Week 1. One thing that is very clear is that the Jets had a plan to get the ball out of his hands as quickly as possible. The gameplan proved to be exceedingly effective at rendering the Bills pass rush non-existent, and exposing the Bills DBs who couldnít hack it in coverage.

Jets Possession #1

1st and 10 @ NYJ 19
    From the start of the game the plan is clear. Sanchez opens up with a quick three step drop and then a throw to the flat on first down. Thereís no pressure and there isnít going to be any, in any game in this league. Itís a quick play.

3rd and 6 @ NYJ 23
    Our first indication that itís going to be a long day of failing to get off the field. On 3rd and 6 Sanchez sits in the shotgun with three receivers left, one right, and a back to his right.

The back stays in for a quick chip block which brings a total of 6 blockers to battle the Bills front 4.

Sanchez makes a quick throw and converts the first down.

Later in the drive we get one of Marioís best opportunities to get at Mark Sanchez. Itís a deep drop and Williams is singled up on Austin Howard. As Williams moves up field to swim through Howard, Cumberland comes open by cruising right by Nick Barnett.

Easy throw for Sanchez. Williams had some time...but not much. Two plays later the Bills intercept Sanchez on a play that runs a bootleg and gets Sanchez doing something TOTALLY different than heís done to this point in the game. We donít see it much more from there either.

Jets Possession #2

On a 3rd and 7 we see Sanchez in shotgun formation with four receivers and his ultimate target is split off to his right. Jeremy Kerley gets singled up against Leodis McKelvin who has dropped off a good 8 yards in coverage.

McKelvin gets close but at the moment that Kerley springs open...Williams (the blue X above) rush has already been thwarted around the right side.

There wasnít a ton of time to get there, but this is another one on one and it comes on one of the deeper drops. Sanchez only completes one more pass on the drive and thatís the TD pass to Kerley. Williams was not on the field on the play.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Possession #3

The Jets open up with good field position and go right back to what is working. Sanchez in the shotgun gets a good chance to read the defense and his drop is another short one. A few steps back and a completion over the middle to Dustin Keller on second down. Third down is more of the same. Shotgun...quick drop...quick pass. First down.

On the first play of the 2nd quarter the Jets go up top for a touchdown to Stephen Hill. It’s a route with three receivers and one back as an outlet. All three run vertical routes with Hill’s double move (and Sanchez’s pump fake) clearing the way for the score.

Williams is handled by the right tackle. The Jets back chip blocks on the left side and the coverage error is exposed. George Wilson helps on the TE that is covered by the LB and when Sanchez sees the singled up Stephon Gilmore the pump-and-go is wide open. Only a sub-par throw (which it was) makes it a bit tough for the receiver. WIDE open.

Mario Williams singled up...did not beat his man. A fairly quick throw. Another breakdown in coverage.

Jets Possession #4

Run for 2 yards. Quick throw to Santonio Holmes - a bubble screen. No chance to rush the passer. On 3rd and short it’s more of the same from the Jets. A conversion on 3rd down. Another. Another. The Jets are ultimately forced to settle for a field goal after picking the Bills secondary apart with quick routes and quick delivery of the ball from Mark Sanchez.

Key play on the drive. 3rd and 5. Sanchez in the shotgun (seeing the theme) delivers the ball to Santonio Holmes on the out to his right. Jairus Byrd is in coverage - and not close.

Sanchez actually has to go to his second read here...something he didn’t often have to do. The Bills got a hit on him as well, but the pass is out to an open Holmes who sold a deeper route and cut to the sideline. Byrd fell on the play, and the Jets marched on.

remainder of the game breakdown here..... http://www.wgr550.com/pages/14214214...entId=11410453

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice info, thx!

ljr

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, can't wait to play with All 22 tonight. Great post thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a dumb question, but is "All 22" something even a "normal" fan would enjoy?

I've been a diehard since Richard Todd, but never played the sport (outside of tackle in the street) so most of my "technical" knowledge actually comes from this site. . . . . . . .

I can't get enough football, and don't mind paying for more exposure. But would it really add to my enjoyment, or would I not even know what to look for?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    all 22 was very slow when i tried to use it last night. the other film was running much faster. maybe a lot of people trying to use the new toy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I will have to shell out whatever it costs for the film, this is like the greatest thing the NFL has done in a while

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but is "All 22" something even a "normal" fan would enjoy?

I've been a diehard since Richard Todd, but never played the sport (outside of tackle in the street) so most of my "technical" knowledge actually comes from this site. . . . . . . .

I can't get enough football, and don't mind paying for more exposure. But would it really add to my enjoyment, or would I not even know what to look for?
    It depends if spending the extra time to analyze players is something that interests you. For instance, did you find the article breakdown above interesting? would it be something you'd want to check out on your own?

If you enjoy the things that take place away from the ball, and the overall chess match that football is....then you're liable to get more enjoyment out of "All-22".....it allows you to appreciate the work WR's do to get open (or conversely the work Revis/Cro do to keep guys on lockdown).....as well as appreciate the nuances of what Rex does with his packages/blitzes that you might not catch on the regular broadcasts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    It depends if spending the extra time to analyze players is something that interests you. For instance, did you find the article breakdown above interesting? would it be something you'd want to check out on your own?

If you enjoy the things that take place away from the ball, and the overall chess match that football is....then you're liable to get more enjoyment out of "All-22".....it allows you to appreciate the work WR's do to get open (or conversely the work Revis/Cro do to keep guys on lockdown).....as well as appreciate the nuances of what Rex does with his packages/blitzes that you might not catch on the regular broadcasts.
    Thanks.

I guess my point is, I LOVE the insight, but wouldn't see it without someone pointing it out to me. Since I assume the video comes without any commentary, I guess I'll just have to wait for posts like this to feed my fix . . .

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have NFL Network, check our their "Playbook" show.....they do a decent job of breaking down a couple plays per term per week, on All-22 film and explaining what was taking place away from the ball. I think you'd probably enjoy it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff, thanks!

Love how Sparano has quick reads for Sanchez, the plays don't take so long to develop, unlike the OC who shall not be named. Easy completions, and it keeps the QB from getting hit so often.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Great stuff, thanks!

Love how Sparano has quick reads for Sanchez, the plays don't take so long to develop, unlike the OC who shall not be named. Easy completions, and it keeps the QB from getting hit so often.
    and since they take shots downfield, cbs can get burned by sitting on the short routes. the jets actually knew what they were doing by tanking the preseason. the bills had no idea what the jets were going to do besides run greene up the middle.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

in my experience, just watching the 22 actually teaches you the football. Watch a play a few times, pausing in the middle to see reactions, and it's amazing what you might discover about formations, decoys, position technique, etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post

Thanks for doing this film breakdown, Montana. I love reading this kinda stuff. You're my new favorite poster on this board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So now NFL.com Gamecast offers the All 22 and end zone view for all plays, or just certain plays?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    So now NFL.com Gamecast offers the All 22 and end zone view for all plays, or just certain plays?
    All plays. I've carved out some time tomorrow afternoon to watch Sunday's game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch the 33y Stephen Hill TD on All-22 and you see how hard Stephon Gilmore bites on Mark's pump fake. It's what springs Hill loose by 8 yards.

On the TV coverage those 2 are completely off-screen on the bite.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    in my experience, just watching the 22 actually teaches you the football. Watch a play a few times, pausing in the middle to see reactions, and it's amazing what you might discover about formations, decoys, position technique, etc.
    Thanks -- that's actually what I was wondering. I think I'll give it a try.

Of course, my wife now hates you, but that's another story . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. I'm going to have to sign up again.