Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *All-22 Film Breakdown*

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the cost on this?

I'm too lazy to look it up right now.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Montana for posting this.

I've just signed up for it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Watch the 33y Stephen Hill TD on All-22 and you see how hard Stephon Gilmore bites on Mark's pump fake. It's what springs Hill loose by 8 yards.

On the TV coverage those 2 are completely off-screen on the bite.
    The only thing I saw on the TV coverage was *Holmes* running the exact same pattern on the top of the field. And he didn't get open even a tiny bit. I guess Sanchez pump faked to Hill though, not Holmes, so that wouldn't help Holmes get open.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    The only thing I saw on the TV coverage was *Holmes* running the exact same pattern on the top of the field. And he didn't get open even a tiny bit. I guess Sanchez pump faked to Hill though, not Holmes, so that wouldn't help Holmes get open.
    Holmes couldn't get open last year so that wouldn't surprise me.

Can you save the all-22 footage onto your computer?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post

No, you would need a video screen capture software like Camtasia, and that is technically illegal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    No, you would need a video screen capture software like Camtasia, and that is technically illegal.
    You mean like enjoying NFL games online?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post

Holmes and Keller were drawing the coverage away from Hill, and Kerley all afternoon. He still was open quite a few times. Mark just missed a couple of TDs to him. As it was he had 4 catches for 68 yards. Extrapolated that would be 64 for 1088, and Hill is going to be drawing a little more attention now I think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Holmes and Keller were drawing the coverage away from Hill, and Kerley all afternoon. He still was open quite a few times. Mark just missed a couple of TDs to him. As it was he had 4 catches for 68 yards. Extrapolated that would be 64 for 1088, and Hill is going to be drawing a little more attention now I think.

Sparano has said that the play was designed for Holmes, as was the Flea Flicker. He said the coverage was cheating toward Holmes, so Sanchez went to Hill instead.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Sparano has said that the play was designed for Holmes, as was the Flea Flicker. He said the coverage was cheating toward Holmes, so Sanchez went to Hill instead.
    This is what the 22 is for. I will likely invest in this.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that too......yet on the All-22, it doesn't seem like the coverage was shading towards Holmes at all, in fact it seems like it was shaded moreso towards Hill/Keller.

In fairness to Sparano though, that interview took place immediately after the game, before he would have had a chance to view the film.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but is "All 22" something even a "normal" fan would enjoy?

I've been a diehard since Richard Todd, but never played the sport (outside of tackle in the street) so most of my "technical" knowledge actually comes from this site. . . . . . . .

I can't get enough football, and don't mind paying for more exposure. But would it really add to my enjoyment, or would I not even know what to look for?
    Thanks.

I guess my point is, I LOVE the insight, but wouldn't see it without someone pointing it out to me. Since I assume the video comes without any commentary, I guess I'll just have to wait for posts like this to feed my fix . . .

You might want to check out Smartfootball.com. Chris Brown, the guy that runs Smartfootball also does articles over at Grantland

Both of these are good places to get the "X's and O's" of football. There will be a mix of both college and NFL, but that doesn't really matter as most of the concepts are applicable to any level of football.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Watch the 33y Stephen Hill TD on All-22 and you see how hard Stephon Gilmore bites on Mark's pump fake. It's what springs Hill loose by 8 yards.

On the TV coverage those 2 are completely off-screen on the bite.
    Yep, Gilmore had his eyes on Sanchez the whole time.

At the time of the pump fake, Gilmore plants his back leg and is ready to drive on the Deep In route. By the time he realizes it and flips his hips, Hill blows by him.

I broke down this play for a blog, and I think the Bills likely blew the coverage. Both safeties converge on Cumberland down the seam. Holmes, who was also running a double move, was open too.

I'm just happy the Sanchez pump fake / double move is back. Barely used it last year and it worked to perfection every time...I can only remember the Jets doing it three times then and it resulted in two pass interference penalties and the go ahead TD versus the Skins.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe so on the flea flicker, but the safety to Holmes's side strangely committee to the middle towards Cumberland. I don't know what coverage they were in, but I doubt it called for both Wilson and Byrd to help on the strong side linebacker trailing Cumberland.

If you watch the play again, the DBs barely got to the line and were set when the ball was snapped...perhaps it contributed to a miscommunication.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Great stuff, thanks!

Love how Sparano has quick reads for Sanchez, the plays don't take so long to develop, unlike the OC who shall not be named. Easy completions, and it keeps the QB from getting hit so often.
    +1

Very interested to see if this continues in Pitt

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, here's a question for the "break it down" crowd:

It sure seemed like Mark was getting rid of the ball quickly and decisively on Sunday. It would almost lead you to believe his first read was open the majority of the time. Yet he ended up making completions to 7 different receivers. Do you think most of those were "first reads", or is Mark reading the field quicker and able to make adjustments more fluidly?

If it's the former, then great that we have an offensive game plan that includes so many effective first options. But I'd prefer if it's the latter, because if Mark's mental ability ever catches up with his physical ability . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, here's a question for the "break it down" crowd:

It sure seemed like Mark was getting rid of the ball quickly and decisively on Sunday. It would almost lead you to believe his first read was open the majority of the time. Yet he ended up making completions to 7 different receivers. Do you think most of those were "first reads", or is Mark reading the field quicker and able to make adjustments more fluidly?

If it's the former, then great that we have an offensive game plan that includes so many effective first options. But I'd prefer if it's the latter, because if Mark's mental ability ever catches up with his physical ability . . .

There's no way for us to know for sure.

Some people that are "in the business" have pointed out that this is one of the limitations that comes with giving fans access to the All22. We're not familiar with any of the teams' playbooks. We don't know who is designed to be the first read on any of these plays. If a QB is able to determine the coverage pre-snap, or quickly after the snap, they can the order of the progression from the way it's structured in the playbook.

Someone like Gruden, who is well-versed in the West Coast offense, can look at any other West Coast scheme and quickly figure out which play is which, and determine the reads. We can't do that, unless we have some former NFL coaches amongst us.

When you watch Peyton Manning, it almost always seems like he's going to his first read, but that's just because he reads the coverage so well and knows which of his receivers should be open.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no way for us to know for sure.

Some people that are "in the business" have pointed out that this is one of the limitations that comes with giving fans access to the All22. We're not familiar with any of the teams' playbooks. We don't know who is designed to be the first read on any of these plays. If a QB is able to determine the coverage pre-snap, or quickly after the snap, they can the order of the progression from the way it's structured in the playbook.

Someone like Gruden, who is well-versed in the West Coast offense, can look at any other West Coast scheme and quickly figure out which play is which, and determine the reads. We can't do that, unless we have some former NFL coaches amongst us.

When you watch Peyton Manning, it almost always seems like he's going to his first read, but that's just because he reads the coverage so well and knows which of his receivers should be open.
    Great answer -- I guess I just find it hard to believe that each time we ran a play, the first read was open.

So what do you think? Is the initial play that good (meaning we're screwed if a defense can match up correctly) or is Mark getting better at finding the weakness that EVERY defense has somewhere -- not on a Payton level, but on a level that should make him a more consistent QB week in and week out?

I realize there's no way to know for sure, but it's hard to not dream about the possibilities if the kid really is taking "that step" . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great answer -- I guess I just find it hard to believe that each time we ran a play, the first read was open.

So what do you think? Is the initial play that good (meaning we're screwed if a defense can match up correctly) or is Mark getting better at finding the weakness that EVERY defense has somewhere -- not on a Payton level, but on a level that should make him a more consistent QB week in and week out?

I realize there's no way to know for sure, but it's hard to not dream about the possibilities if the kid really is taking "that step" . . .
    I don't think anyone can make that determination right now. If this continues going forward, then you can probably safely assume that he's gotten better at reading the defense.

For the optimists, you could point to his play in the 3rd preseason game, which looked very similar to what we saw in Week 1, sans the deep balls.

You could do the same thing with Hill, actually. I tried to point out after the Panthers game that Hill, despite the horrid drop that led to an INT, had 5 catches for 68 yards on 7 targets. Receptions on 71% of your targets is excellent work. He was 5/6, 83%, in Week 1.

This is a huge test coming up on Sunday. Pittsburgh needs this game, and it's their home opener. A good game from Sanchez will go a long way toward convincing people that he's turned the corner.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking I need a telestrator for my wifes car; that way I can prove to her she can't drive.

bhwahahaha

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez' former OC had the offense running plays where all 5 recievers(2WR,1TE,2RBs) go 5 yard curl routes.... Does he even have a first or second read?

I'm not sure I'd say he got better at reading defenses and being decisive, HOWEVA, I'd say he's got much better plays designed to attack a "soft spot" in the defense.

Schotty sucks