Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *All-22 Film Breakdown*

Watching the tape you can see that Mark's first or second read was open a lot....

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Watching the tape you can see that Mark's first or second read was open a lot....
    Not what I was hoping to hear, but just reinforces how important this Sunday is going to be . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Not what I was hoping to hear, but just reinforces how important this Sunday is going to be . . .

agreed.....having said that, credit goes to Mark who made a fair number of calls at the line, recognizing the coverages he was going to face....and I think defense recognition pre/post snap are two of the key elements to look for in Mark taking that next step.

Manning, Brady, Brees all hit their first or second read fairly often as a result of seeing the weakness in the defense pre-snap, so if this trend continues with Mark it isn't a bad thing by any stretch......but hopefully when that first or second read isn't open, we don't start seeing him try to force it.

As you say this week (along with our upcoming games with the 49ers and Texans) are going to tell us an awful lot about where Mark is in his development and how big an impact Sparano is going to have as our OC.

Rookie
    Don't forget to take into account the reads a QB can get in the first 1-2 seconds after the snap. Often that can give away just as much or more information about coverages than the pre-snap read. For example, seeing the two safeties stepping to the seam tells Nacho that his receivers are for the most part 1-on-1.

I think defense recognition pre/post snap are two of the key elements to look for in Mark taking that next step.

Last edited by Montana; 09-13-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Obviously don't think Stephen Hill is going to have the kind of production he had week 1 every week (in fact I wouldn't be overly surprised if that's his high-water mark for the season) but seeing little things like this makes me real encouraged about his long term potential....the fact he's got these small little elements to his game, that is often the difference between good/great, is damn encouraging to see from a rookie making his debut.

(kudos to Demosthenes9, for the screengrabs)

If a 21 year old receiver, is already showing this kind of physicality at the line, to create space for himself......I like his chances at reaching his potential in this league. Real goddamn happy with have a guy like WR coach Sanjay Lal working with him too, to make sure he works his ass off on the subtle aspects of his route running, line play, etc etc.

His double move, on that pump and go route, that resulted in a 33 yard TD was a thing of beauty too......as was the retarded acceleration he showed on the crossing route that resulted in a 17 yard TD, later in the game. The separation he created within a few strides, was ridiculous (especially considering the CB on him has 4.39 speed himself)

As long as his hands don't become an issue....he could be a real steal.

Obviously don't think Stephen Hill is going to have the kind of production he had week 1 every week (in fact I wouldn't be overly surprised if that's his high-water mark for the season) but seeing little things like this makes me real encouraged about his long term potential....the fact he's got these small little elements to his game, that is often the difference between good/great, is damn encouraging to see from a rookie making his debut.

(kudos to Demosthenes9, for the screengrabs)

If a 21 year old receiver, is already showing this kind of physicality at the line, to create space for himself......I like his chances at reaching his potential in this league. Real goddamn happy with have a guy like WR coach Sanjay Lal working with him too, to make sure he works his ass off on the subtle aspects of his route running, line play, etc etc.

His double move, on that pump and go route, that resulted in a 33 yard TD was a thing of beauty too......as was the retarded acceleration he showed on the crossing route that resulted in a 17 yard TD, later in the game. The separation he created within a few strides, was ridiculous (especially considering the CB on him has 4.39 speed himself)

As long as his hands don't become an issue....he could be a real steal.
    Yeah, this kid could be pretty good

Did you see the blurb about Lal that I posted in the other "WR" thread ?

I don't think I did....which thread exactly, is it in?

I don't think I did....which thread exactly, is it in?
    It was in the "I cant' believe how open our Wide Recievers were" thread.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...stephen_h.html

Jets rookie receiver Stephen Hill has been well-schooled
    (Article is actually about Stephen Hill)

During his first day with the Jets, Lal laid out a mantra for success that seemed tailor-made to Hill’s talents. Outside of the mental preparation they do, which includes teachings in Sun Tzu’s “Art of War” (a practice also employed by other coordinators on the team), receivers are coached to dominate the line of scrimmage.

Announcing their presence physically is paramount, as is the psychology behind every snap — if the receiver sprints into a route the same way he sprints into a block, the play is harder for the defense to anticipate.

If they bump a cornerback as fiercely on a sweep toss as they do during a post route out of press coverage, the offense already has an advantage.

“They’ll know we’re there,” Lal said of opposing cornerbacks. “We want our presence to be known on every play. Run or pass. It’s ‘I’m going to exert my will on the man in front of me,’ and whoever wins that is generally going to win the game.”

Take, for example, Hill’s first regular-season reception as a Jet. It was third-and-7 from the Jets’ 23-yard line. Buffalo rookie cornerback Stephon Gilmore played tight against his counterpart, a yard of separation between the two.

When Mark Sanchez hiked the ball, Hill made first contact then swung his left forearm into Gilmore’s face, jolting the cornerback backward right before he snapped into the inward break on his route. Hill caught the ball within the space he created and secured the first down.
    Actually, thinking about it, you probably did see this as that's where I posted the screen grabs. My description was off though as it doesn't register as a "blurb about Lal".

Cheers for that, I hadn't actually seen that blurb before.....as I had taken your screengrabs from the other board.

Brilliant stuff though, I love any little insight we get into how Lal is working with the WR's. Coming into the season I had high hopes for him, given how well he had worked with raw rookies in Oakland, and thus far he appears to be paying similar dividends here.

All Pro
    I liked the fake screen pass to Tone. Kerley fakes the block and then blows by the db for a TD. Then later in the game Santonio gets that screen for 18yards. Setting up the defense making different plays look the same. Brilliant, not genius.

Cheers for that, I hadn't actually seen that blurb before.....as I had taken your screengrabs from the other board.

Brilliant stuff though, I love any little insight we get into how Lal is working with the WR's. Coming into the season I had high hopes for him, given how well he had worked with raw rookies in Oakland, and thus far he appears to be paying similar dividends here.
    Ah, gotcha. As for insight, be sure to read the linked article as it has some more info.