Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gates and Arukwe are Sanjay's type of guys...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Gates and Arukwe are Sanjay's type of guys...

I think he can work with speed, just look at the guys the Raiders drafted in Oakland for him, no taller than 6 feet and all faster than hell. Sparano loves the deeper routes and you need speedier guys. Gates and especially Arukwe are raw at this point, but Lal is good at coaching up young talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I think he can work with speed, just look at the guys the Raiders drafted in Oakland for him, no taller than 6 feet and all faster than hell. Sparano loves the deeper routes and you need speedier guys. Gates and especially Arukwe are raw at this point, but Lal is good at coaching up young talent.
    so who is the last breakout receiver the raiders had? jacoby ford? Louis Murphy? chaz shillens? Heyward Bay? am i missing something or have they not had a good receiver since Tim Brown?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    so who is the last breakout receiver the raiders had? jacoby ford? Louis Murphy? chaz shillens? Heyward Bay? am i missing something or have they not had a good receiver since Tim Brown?
    A good WR appears only when there's a good QB. OAK hasn't had a good
    QB since Rich Gannon

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    a fair overall question would be to see where the Raider passing game has been ranked under Lal's tenure

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Denarius Moore. Oh wait, he stinks too. Oakland is a vast wasteland for receivers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Denarius Moore. Oh wait, he stinks too. Oakland is a vast wasteland for receivers.

Moore killed it last year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

Moore killed it last year
    He was being sarcastic.

If we are going to run a ground and pound, we need speed to punish any defenses that cheat up for the run.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    all these guys at one point have had great season. a coach can only coach, he can't keep players out of the ice tub during thegame. ford had a very nice season 2 seasons ago, Moore with nice rookie year, Murphy showed flashes but hurt, dhb had a solid season last season 900 and 6 Tds not bad. Chaz.... you cAnt win them all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ford and Moore, and if it wasn't for Lal, Hey Bey would be out of the league by now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far so good with Sanjay and Tony. They like speed b.c you can't teach it. They must feel like everything else can be coached. They have Hill way ahead of expectations. Hopefully we unearth some more weapons.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    So far so good with Sanjay and Tony. They like speed b.c you can't teach it. They must feel like everything else can be coached. They have Hill way ahead of expectations. Hopefully we unearth some more weapons.
    Yeah. This has has to be the fastest set of Jets WR's I've ever seen.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of makes the drafting of Hill and signing of Shilens seem odd if true. Both are 6-4

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Kind of makes the drafting of Hill and signing of Shilens seem odd if true. Both are 6-4
    Yes but both of them also are FAST. It is very telling when a guy like Santonio Holmes is one of your "slower" receivers. Aruke (spelling?), Gates, Hill AND Schilens all run 4.3 or less. In fact Kerley is the slow poke of the group and he sure LOOKED fast on the punt return for TD.

When is the last time we had a group of receivers like this? The answer? NEVER.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am REAL excited to see what Gates can do.
    The guy definitely looks like a poor mans Mike Wallace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkW8QoHGNoo

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Yes but both of them also are FAST. It is very telling when a guy like Santonio Holmes is one of your "slower" receivers. Aruke (spelling?), Gates, Hill AND Schilens all run 4.3 or less. In fact Kerley is the slow poke of the group and he sure LOOKED fast on the punt return for TD.

When is the last time we had a group of receivers like this? The answer? NEVER.
    The Jets don't have any weapons.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    But the jets can never survive without the Hall of Fame bound Braylon Edwards, 90% of this board said so.

Fools.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Denarious Moore had a solid rookie season last year...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill...with only 49 career college receptions...is as raw as it gets. How's he doing?

IMO...what we saw last Sunday...was the result of Hill's physically gifted talents...accompanied by his attitude and work ethic...being coached up by Lal. Which resulted in an impressive impact performance, by a very inexperienced Hill.

What a player is made up of...what he has inside him...has a lot to do with what a coach can get out of him.

I would not judge Lal too harshly, on what results he was able to get out of his players, in that dysfunctional Raiders environment.

What he's doing with Hill, is of more immediate importance, then theories on his Raiders accomplishments...or lack of.

And the 5-10; 190; Gates...with 4.28 speed in the slot...has me salivating with the possible results.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fred Biletnekoff

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Gates dress last week? Do we know if he is going to play soon?