Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do We Now Have The Fastest Receiver Corp in the League?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Do We Now Have The Fastest Receiver Corp in the League?

This is assuming Gates is activated to go along with Stephen Hill, Santonio Holmes, Chaz Schilens and Jeremy Kerley (doesn't include Stanley Azwuke and he may be faster than all of them!)

As the season goes on, if we can continue to get Oline play like we did on Sunday, we are going to have one of the most explosive offenses in football. Keller will be healthy soon and I really liked what I saw out of Cumberland.

Our running game should improve dramatically, because of the threat of our down field passing game. Combine that with Tebow running the wildcat and the emergence of running back Bilal Powell. Plus with Kerley returning punts and Gates and or McKnight returning Kicks we should have consistently have good field position.

Enter Sparano and is implementation of the "uptempo" offense and we will have defenses back on their heels on lots of occasions.

Sanchez may finally have what he needs to take his game to that next level. To say that I am excited is an understatement!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think your point will be irrelevant unless Sanchez can utilize those receivers to their fullest extent. Sanchez played wonderfully last Sunday and really showed a lot. But lets not forget about his recent past. Holmes is a very fast guy also and he's never really had chemistry with Sanchez.

Last Sunday was very encouraging but lets temper it knowing that Sanchez is still trying to develop.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That title belongs to Oakland...when they're all healthy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't care too much about straight line speed by itself. I think speed PLUS quickness and cutting ability is much more relevant. That's probably what allows receivers to get open, e.g Steelers and Eagles receivers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Holmes is a very fast guy also and he's never really had chemistry with Sanchez.

Perhaps because he is a tempermental primadonna doosh who has exhibited no patience with the young QB.

-

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Facts

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    This is assuming Gates is activated to go along with Stephen Hill, Santonio Holmes, Chaz Schilens and Jeremy Kerley (doesn't include Stanley Azwuke and he may be faster than all of them!)

As the season goes on, if we can continue to get Oline play like we did on Sunday, we are going to have one of the most explosive offenses in football. Keller will be healthy soon and I really liked what I saw out of Cumberland.

Our running game should improve dramatically, because of the threat of our down field passing game. Combine that with Tebow running the wildcat and the emergence of running back Bilal Powell. Plus with Kerley returning punts and Gates and or McKnight returning Kicks we should have consistently have good field position.

Enter Sparano and is implementation of the "uptempo" offense and we will have defenses back on their heels on lots of occasions.

Sanchez may finally have what he needs to take his game to that next level. To say that I am excited is an understatement!

Stanley Azwuke was cut, Kerley's speed is marginal

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hmhertz View Post
    He was signed and cut in the same day?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    holmes isnt fast either. he's more slippery.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been screaming about the lack of speed for a year. They certainly added some, BUT:
    Hill is raw and probably a year from being a consistent star
    Kerley is a slot guy.
    The rest have speed but haven't proven squat on the field. The league has spit out plenty of fast guys who can't play.

But, you can't teach speed. All of them have huge upside that is worth keeping a around.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think your point will be irrelevant unless Sanchez can utilize those receivers to their fullest extent. Sanchez played wonderfully last Sunday and really showed a lot. But lets not forget about his recent past. Holmes is a very fast guy also and he's never really had chemistry with Sanchez.

Last Sunday was very encouraging but lets temper it knowing that Sanchez is still trying to develop.
    Sanchez had his best year with Homes when he had Braylon opposite him & Cotchery as the 3rd receiver. The point is there were other legitmate threats that defenses had to respect other then Holmes.

Last year that was not the case among the WR's corps, Kerley was a rookie who was learning and Plax was nothing more then a redzone target who clearly didn't give a 100% on every play. Holmes had noone to really draw a defenses attention away from him on a consistent basis.

This year with Kerley in his second year, Hill who is clearly a burner and up & comer & Schillens, another WR with the ability to stretch the field. Defenses can no longer key in on just Holmes because Hill & Kerley - and hopefully at some point Schillens - will make defenses pay if they do.

Gates & Azukwe are relatively unknown quantities, so, I don't really know what they would bring to the table.

All that being said I think all this translates to Sanchez having open receivers to throw to alot more frequently then last season, couple that with the improved pass protection with the addition of Howard & the subtraction of Hunter and Sanchez stands poised to have a big year IMHO, we have seen hints of that already last week.

Having Cumberland back in the mix & healthy, after being lost to injury early last season & hopefully a healthier Keller this week and Sanchez's arsenal improves that much more....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-12-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I have been screaming about the lack of speed for a year. They certainly added some, BUT:
    Hill is raw and probably a year from being a consistent star
    Kerley is a slot guy.
    The rest have speed but haven't proven squat on the field. The league has spit out plenty of fast guys who can't play.

But, you can't teach speed. All of them have huge upside that is worth keeping a around.
    Kerley has moves, rarely goes down on first contact and gets YAC, even though he is a slot WR, he can potentially break one every time he touches the ball.

This kid does not get the respect he deserves as an offensive weapon, Kerley reminds me of Leon Washington - in a WR.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-12-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    steelers. wallace, antonio brown and emmanuel sanders definitely faster. or eagles with djax and maclin are lethal

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    They brought him back yesterday, practice squad I think.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Kerley has moves, rarely goes down on first contact and gets YAC, even though he is a slot WR, he can potentially break one every time he touches the ball.

This kid does not get the respect he deserves as an offensive weapon, Kerley reminds me of Leon Washington - in a WR.
    +1 I expect big things from this kid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerley is showing himself to be a fine slot receiver. He's a very slippery fellow and helps keep D's thoroughly occupied and on their heels. Good hands too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ratliff5 View Post
    steelers. wallace, antonio brown and emmanuel sanders definitely faster. or eagles with djax and maclin are lethal
    This.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    But lets not forget about his recent past. Holmes is a very fast guy also and he's never really had chemistry with Sanchez.
    they had it going on in 2010, hopefully they can get back to that this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    they had it going on in 2010, hopefully they can get back to that this season.
    I dunno. He seemed like he wasn't really on the same page with Mark on Sunday.

I don't know if it's confidence or what, but he just seemed off.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I dunno. He seemed like he wasn't really on the same page with Mark on Sunday.

I don't know if it's confidence or what, but he just seemed off.
    Could have been lack of reps in the preseason with that rib injury.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Could have been lack of reps in the preseason with that rib injury.
    Quit tempting me to look at your posts. I'm still rustled.