Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you *****s wondering what this is all about?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Any of you *****s wondering what this is all about?

Seriously, what the hell are we doing here? People live their lives, miserable. All they do is complain about their families, their past, their foreseeable future. Is anyone really content? Is anyone really happy with their lot in life? Is it really that satisfying or do you feel like there should be something more and we're just here to live out some sad existence where we are bound to encounter painful tragedies time and time again.

I don't know. Enlighten me, but most of you jerks seem to be going through the motions too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like you've got some demons you need to deal with kid. Everybody goes through dark times. Talk with someone, anyone. It could be the grocery store clerk.

I really have absolutely nothing to complain about. I have the best father, mother and brother I could ask for. I have a wife, which in times is a pain in the ass, but I would die for her and vise versa. We both have good jobs.

I worked hard to get everything I am today. At my lowest low, I felt hopeless, unmotivated. I was so poor I had to steal my mothers laundry quarters for gas in the hand me down car from my brother (which I had no AC or heat), yes John I blame you.

Tough times man. Hang in there, everyone goes through them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from Bobby Vans, had dinner with Colum McCann, author of "Let The Great World Spin", really cool dude. Had a really nice Veal Chop, iced seafood appetizer, some great wine and some honeys.

Sidetown--There are no going through the motions. Realize, any moment could be the last. Nothing in life should simply be a passage from one place to another. Each walk should be taken as if it is the only thing you have left.

Does that make sense? I hope so.

Going to bed now.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not in that kind of state of mind. If anything it's more of a "what the hell is the point" to all of this type of mind.

Buy this. Borrow for that. Save for retirement. Blame x,y,z for problems.

This entire world seems backwards anymore. All anyone wants is your money. They want you to be in debt. They want you to let them get rich off your "retirement" money so that in the end the people up top can just take it all anyway. Want that money out of your 401K? How about a nice tax up the ass-hole to get it!

Seriously, what's the point? Live. Breathe. Eat. Work. Possibly find someone that doesn't make you miserable. Find someone that eventually makes you miserable but you didn't pull out and that b!tch lied about birth control so now you have a 18 year payment plan. Work 60 hours a week to spend your only free time being distracted with pro sports and hypnotized into hating your "rival" team.

Meanwhile there are horrible injustices in the world, the rich and powerful are literally stealing everything that you own on paper (ie banks, funds, etc...) while they distract you with politics. Really all they are doing is taking turns by playing one side vs the other over and over and over while they pass laws to empower corporations to continue stealing resources.

But here I am, supposed to follow the mold. Work hard, save money (so the money can disappear later in a paper trail), buy a house (helping mortgage and bank fraud), find a partner (who is brainwashed by propaganda 24/7 of what married life is "supposed" to be like or what you are entitled to own), have a couple kids (costs thousands... better have insurance), then raise those kids to hopefully be smart enough to get into higher education (college, which you will pay for... thousands per semester), and then watch your kid go through the same bullsh!t cycle while you wonder how the fck your life savings could disappear at the drop of a hat.

I'm not unstable my friend, I'm looking at the big picture.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest fear in life is not to leave my mark on this world. Do I have regrets? I'm sure all of do.

I have so many goals that I never accomplished. Mentally, physically I didn't have what it took to do it.

The only way I can redeem it to myself, is to be the best person I can be. It's important for me and only me. To be a better husband, brother, son, role model, whatever you want to call it. I thirst for this every day and it's that, that makes me go on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can dig that Dimitri. And I respect you for that. You live for your family and the responsibilities that your situation entails.

That's one case of enlightening me.

Let me state, I'm not trying to say I have the answers. I'm asking questions and hoping for quality reasons. Think of it as a philosophical experiment. This obviously isn't the first time someone has asked "What is the meaning of life?'

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love my life. Sure things could always be a bit better but I am very content with my life. I have worked hard for everything I have. I don't worry about blaming everyone else for my problems, I just figure out how to deal with them myself.

Like Stokes said, life is fragile and he should know more than most. I have had three of my best friend die in the past two years. You just have to learn to roll with the punches.

Life isn't about material things. That stuff doesn't mean sh!t. I'm not saying you shouldn't own and / or enjoy them, but they aren't what life is about.

I judge my life by my relationship with God, family and friends. That's what's truly important in my life. If I think I'm doing ok in their eyes, then I'm ok.

And I do my best to try to raise my children to be responsible adults. Hopefully that will be the legacy I leave behind.

People worry to much about things they can't control or about why they don't have this or that. And if only this happened or that happened, they would be happy.

And while they are waiting to be happy, they are slowly dying.

Love the line from Shawshank Redemption:

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

(ends tired ramble )

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this is hampur material or legit, but if legit:

Find out what's important to you, and do it. I'm not necessarily talking about how to make a living...it can be anything. It'll give you undoubted joy, and help you see that it's not all about money (that seemed to be a major theme in your posts). If nothing else, that'll give your life meaning, while you search for the meaning of life.

Call it pretentious, ghey, or juvenile, but I took a lot out of this a couple of years ago when I too questioned what you're questioning. I can't stand my ex, but I owe her for sharing this with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfTa4...e_gdata_player

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    mods, please pity-lock this thread.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Seriously, what the hell are we doing here? People live their lives, miserable. All they do is complain about their families, their past, their foreseeable future. Is anyone really content? Is anyone really happy with their lot in life? Is it really that satisfying or do you feel like there should be something more and we're just here to live out some sad existence where we are bound to encounter painful tragedies time and time again.

I don't know. Enlighten me, but most of you jerks seem to be going through the motions too.
    The goal for me, each day, is finding some joy through the mundane tasks ahead. Life is a series of events that I either embrace or dread. My attitude determines if I'm a victim of circumstance or if I thrive despite them.

A few heroin overdoses, a lifetime battle with TS, a few years incarcerated, a few trips to rehab, a few trips to mental health facilities.

The summation of these experiences was an altered perspective on life. I can appreciate having a crappy job and barely being able to speak clearly. I'm not a victim. What's been done to me is nothing compared to what I've done to myself.

Go help someone- For no other reason than to help them. That's the hit today Mr Southside. When you realize that the greatest adversary in life is your thought process, it's quite liberating...
    Last edited by 1greenNUT; 09-13-2012 at 06:00 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are two kinds of people in this world. The first complain about everything, and their station in life is someone else's fault. The others enjoy life and realize it is what THEY make of it.

I'm in the second camp, and agree with what Dimitri, Stokes, crossfire, greenwichjetfan, and 1 greennut have said.

I know people in the first camp, and they are basically miserable to be around.

I suspect you hang around with too many people in the first camp.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting question Southside and in all seriousness it's a normal healthy question to ask oneself (after a couple of weeks of sobriety or some other change in your life).

My mother died a few years ago, we were incredibly close over a distance of three thousand miles. She was in chronic pain and suffered slowly and endlessly. Her faith helped her but her spirits suffered. I found a role in cheering her up, being silly, making her laugh and visiting her as often as I could. My siblings were busy with their offspring and their lives, I had a freelance arts career, no children where I could finally have a one-on-one with a parent that I rarely enjoyed as a child (I was one of six kids).

When she died, my world evaporated as I was stuck in this existential angst; without a specific role, someone to care for ... I struggled. I contemplated everything, in the end I continued. Why ? For no other reason that to see another morning, curiosity keeps me going. I think a few individual friendships with a few people you connect with are important.

My final thought on this is on Warren Zevon, the singer and songwriter died of cancer in 2003. That year, he was a guest on the Late Show with David Letterman. Letterman asked him what he had learned in the process of dying, to which Zevon replied, "I learned to enjoy every sandwich."

Curiosity is a sandwich, I think it's important to savour it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    mods, please pity-lock this thread.
    No way. Landing Strip gold.

Continue.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not in that kind of state of mind. If anything it's more of a "what the hell is the point" to all of this type of mind.

This entire world seems backwards anymore. All anyone wants is your money. They want you to be in debt. They want you to let them get rich off your "retirement" money so that in the end the people up top can just take it all anyway. Want that money out of your 401K? How about a nice tax up the ass-hole to get it!

Seriously, what's the point? Live. Breathe. Eat. Work. Possibly find someone that doesn't make you miserable. Find someone that eventually makes you miserable but you didn't pull out and that b!tch lied about birth control so now you have a 18 year payment plan. Work 60 hours a week to spend your only free time being distracted with pro sports and hypnotized into hating your "rival" team.

Meanwhile there are horrible injustices in the world, the rich and powerful are literally stealing everything that you own on paper (ie banks, funds, etc...) while they distract you with politics. Really all they are doing is taking turns by playing one side vs the other over and over and over while they pass laws to empower corporations to continue stealing resources.

But here I am, supposed to follow the mold. Work hard, save money (so the money can disappear later in a paper trail), buy a house (helping mortgage and bank fraud), find a partner (who is brainwashed by propaganda 24/7 of what married life is "supposed" to be like or what you are entitled to own), have a couple kids (costs thousands... better have insurance), then raise those kids to hopefully be smart enough to get into higher education (college, which you will pay for... thousands per semester), and then watch your kid go through the same bullsh!t cycle while you wonder how the fck your life savings could disappear at the drop of a hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNV-GXoeCM

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    lol Haven't seen this in years. "ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH?!"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The meaning of life? An oft asked question of which there's no good answer. It's different for everybody I guess. For me, it's knowing that at the end of it all, I can look my maker straight in the eye and honestly say, "I always tried to be a good guy and lived by the golden rule".

I've been more fortunate than many in financial success. By no means a 1%er, but I have no debt, own my home here on the Cape, and have a great relationship with my wife of 35 years and our two kids. My nieces and nephews often come to us for advice and counseling as I hope to think we've always provided good role model for them. I got out of the rat race early, and although I have plenty of "stuff" I no longer covet what others have and found contentment in my own lot in life.

I too, have lost friends and loved ones at a far too early age and as others have said, it's important to find the joys in the little things in life and learn to live each day as it could be the last. I didn't always do this. About two years ago, decades of eating anything and everything, drinking, and smoking caught up with me. I almost died. I've since quit those bad habits, lost 100+ pounds, and find it easier to get through life without all the bad habits I thought I 'enjoyed'.

Stay true to yourself, and your significant other. Avoid leasing fancy cars for the status. And don't be tempted buy high priced hookers when the opportunity arises. You'll hate yourself for it every time you have to look your wife and kids in the eyes knowing you couldn't keep your vows and your word means nothing. (Ok, that last paragraph was more for someone else than for you Southside.)

I'm gonna go have a sandwich and savor every bite.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 09-13-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no point. You are born, you live, you procreate, you die...then you become worm food. There's no mystical place in the sky that the ghost in your body floats away to upon death.

Life has no "meaning". We're all just organisms on a planet with trillions and trillions of other organisms. We're not special...anymore than a single ant in your front lawn is "special".

Sure...people want to be remembered, but what's the point? It's not like you're gonna be around to see whether or not you get remembered. And even if you weren't, what difference does it make?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

you know, there's validity to that. Chasing some elusive brass ring, and for what? To satisfy someone else's vision of what a successful life looks like? It's nonsense. It's distraction. People walk around this planet every day without a thought to their existence, instead constantly obsessing over survival. They prefer 'things' to 'concepts'. They desire 'domination', not 'symbiosis'. It's not surprising, really. Nietzsche wrote that all happiness derives from power. I guess that's the result of being confined to a single, mortal organism that has an expiration date. Couple that with the reality that in order to continue existing, one must continue to kill, it's easy to see where such a primal need comes from.

Personally, I think man is largely driven by the notion of "forever". Not existing is such an unfathomable concept to us, that we shall come to an end. I mean, none of us knew consciousness before we took physical form, and none of us will know it after we've left it, (at least, not that anyone has been able to verify from the living state) and that is such an unbearable circumstance to a sentient being that it drives us mad. Fortunately for all of us, it also drives us to excel. All great advances have been driven by this most basic instinct. The very perpetuation of the species relies upon it.

Perhaps some want to leave legacies of dominion and conquest. Others seek a modicum of immorality that comes from reproducing offspring. Whatever their process for executing their drive is, their motivation is singular. They are going to die. And no-one wants to do that. Even those who willfully shed their own bodies don't wish to end their existence. They seek the "next life", they want a new self to begin again and to escape the pain and the despair of this imperfect place.

I once heard a wise man asked the most basic of question; "Why do we have to die?" His answer, both succinct and profound, has traveled with me all of my days.

"To make life important."

Woah. That hit me. Life would lose it's meaning if it went on forever and ever. Kinda like a DWC post. Some of literature's most compelling stories revolve around idle immortals, the hopelessness of their existence. It's nonsense, of course, the notion of "forever". Even the bright, glowing mass we circle at the center of our Galaxy will expire. When it does it will burn everything this species has built on this rock, so even the legacies we leave behind will eventually be consumed and discarded, regardless their profundity nor their permanency.

In the end, we are merely a collection of our thoughts, our experiences, and our emotions. There's no price tag on a smile. There's no bill for a hug (well... unless you're doing it wrong) There's no amortization rate for showing another person a kindness. The only thing you're taking with you across the Great Divide, is you. Who you are. What makes you. Are you complete and satisfied with the person you are? Then I believe you shall travel lighter than air. If you're tormented by lost opportunity and regret for acts done or omitted, it's my belief your journey shall be laden and plodding.

Billy Mays (yes, that Billy Mays) once said, "It's not the guy with the most toys who wins in the end, it's the guy with the best stories." And I think that's right. I'm never going to be rich. My name is never going to be plastered on a bridge or anything, but I will be content. I've had a wonderful time. I have good friends. I've had distinct and beautiful lovers. Great parties and awesome drugs. It's all about perspective, southside. It's all about gratitude. Wake every day with gratitude for another 24 hours of blissful existence. There's nothing else that beats it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    There is no point. You are born, you live, you procreate, you die...then you become worm food. There's no mystical place in the sky that the ghost in your body floats away to upon death.

Life has no "meaning". We're all just organisms on a planet with trillions and trillions of other organisms. We're not special...anymore than a single ant in your front lawn is "special".

Sure...people want to be remembered, but what's the point? It's not like you're gonna be around to see whether or not you get remembered. And even if you weren't, what difference does it make?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKwdRHovYok

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh?

Since when is southslide so exestential?