Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "How would Americans feel if films insulting the pope or Abraham Lincoln were...

Jets Insider VIP

"How would Americans feel if films insulting the pope or Abraham Lincoln were...

This really shows how clueless the middle east is to what Americans believe.

"How would Americans feel if films insulting the pope or Abraham Lincoln were produced?" - Zawahiri

Tim Cavanaugh|Sep. 12, 2012 8:53 am

Mohamed al-Zawahiri, brother of al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri, says he called a "peaceful protest" in Cairo as part of the 9/11 anniversary attacks on U.S. embassies that left the U.S. ambassador to Libya dead and the U.S. embassy in Egypt in shambles.

The putative cause of the attack in Cairo was anger over a satirical movie depicting the founder of Islam's life. The attacks in the adjacent North African countries, both of which last year saw secular autocrats toppled, came on a day commemorating the Zawahiri family's direct role in coordinated terror attacks that killed more than 3,000 people from more than 60 nations.

"We were surprised to see the big numbers show up, including the soccer Ultra fans," al-Zawahiri tells CNN's David Ariosto. "I just want to say, how would the Americans feel if films insulting leading Christian figures like the pope or historical figures like Abraham Lincoln were produced?"

I believe the Catholic League's Bill Donohue can come up with a movie or two that made fun of the pope and the papacy. I don't think the Vatican gets a very fair shake in The Godfather III. (I also don't recall Donohue, though he has a sharp tongue, ever calling for violence against detractors of the Catholic faith.) As for Abraham Lincoln, the "Savage Curtain" episode of Star Trek certainly qualifies as an unintentional insult, Gore Vidal's Lincoln was adapted for the small screen without incident, and there was a movie out this summer called Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which didn't look to be traditionally reverent. Scabrous literature about the parental legitimacy and sexual behavior of Jesus H. Christ has been circulated since the earliest days of Christianity, and as far back as the 19th century anti-Christian writers like Léo Taxil were producing popular sellers in Europe.

But there is no real point in rebutting Zawahiri's stated claims about a movie. I'm not even sure the movie Innocence of Muslims exists, given that producer Sam Bacile told the Wall Street Journal it had a budget of $5 million, and that doesn't match up with the production value in Bacile's trailer production value in Bacile's trailer. (Bacile's "100 Jewish donors" seem to be the real victims here.)
    The purpose of the attacks in Egypt and Libya was for the Sunni leadership to show it can unleash mob attacks against American diplomatic assets.

(There may be some historical exceptions, but it's more or less axiomatic than mob attacks cannot happen without government approval.) That point has been received by everybody except U.S. State Department employees.

Sam Bacille is a fictional character. The latest reports are that the producer of the you tube video is apparently a Coptic Christian that is an anti-islamic activist.

As far as how Americans feel about people expressing their right to free speech? Well we have the Westboro Baptist Church spewing their hatred and bile without incident. We have neo-Nazi marches that take place occasionally without rioting. This is a free country. People can say whatever they please as long as they don't "shout fire" in a crowded theater. This whole thing is BS anyway. This rioting was a coordinated 9/11 attack having nothing to do with a youtube video.

Don't they have Marines stationed at the embassies, if yes why didn't they open fire or is it possible they didn't have ammo. With Obama anything is possible!

Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Don't they have Marines stationed at the embassies, if yes why didn't they open fire or is it possible they didn't have ammo. With Obama anything is possible!
    Obama didn't want to offend the radicals so he decided to trust Libyan police to defend the embassy rather then station Marines there. Apparently the local police quickly informed the mob of where the ambassador was hiding.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Obama didn't want to offend the radicals so he decided to trust Libyan police to defend the embassy rather then station Marines there. Apparently the local police quickly informed the mob of where the ambassador was hiding.
    Were we really depending on the Libyan police?

I wonder if the guns and RPGs they used were ones that we gave them.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Were we really depending on the Libyan police?

I wonder if the guns and RPGs they used were ones that we gave them.
    dont be surprised if we did. im pretty certain maybe some have made the trip from mexico ala "fast and furious"

Jets Insider VIP
    Great job, organized religion.

Great job.

People beliefs in invisible sky people is THE worst crutch of society.

We will NOT advance until mankind rids itself of the cancer of religion.

Pray to your gods, a**holes. Pray for him to show up. Guess what? He won't. Because he doesn't f*cking exist because you're a small minded dumba**s

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

Great job.

Pray to your gods, a**holes. Pray for him to show up. Guess what? He won't. Because he doesn't f*cking exist because you're a small minded dumba**s

Religion BAD....

Atheism GOOD....

Does your ass ever get jealous of the sh*t that comes out of your mouth?

Great job.

Oversimplification.

The religious in the civilized, socio-economicly wealthy, western world does not do any (in the majority) of what organized religion in the uncivilized, socio-economicly backwards, tyrantt-controlled middle east and south-east asia does.

Yes, we all know you can find a case or three of a guy killing a single abortionist or the like. But generally speaking, it's not so cut and dry as "all organized religion = violence" today.

To anser the OP, I dound the entire idea of "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" pretty lame and slightly offensive, but so what. Freedom of speech is not freedom from being offended or having good taste.

Jets Insider VIP
    Remember all those riots when Life of Brian came out?

Yeah, neither do I.

FORWARD!

Jets Insider VIP
    because you're a small minded dumba**s
    I chuckled at this part, then shook my head.

Jets Insider VIP

Great job.

+1

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I haven't seen the Book of Mormon, but to anyone who has seen it: does it destroy Mormonism in the same vein as an episode of South Park would?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Remember all those riots when Life of Brian came out?

Yeah, neither do I.
    Or "Piss Christ?" Lots of outrage, hardly any murders.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    Religion BAD....

Atheism GOOD....

Does your ass ever get jealous of the sh*t that comes out of your mouth?

I will remember that one for a long time!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post

I will remember that one for a long time!

Nice try...but a cult of personality like a dictatorship is EXACTLY the same as organized religion. Exactly. There is NO difference between Stalins policies and the policies of God.

Don't believe me? Go back and read the bible again. Especially the parts where he is ok with people giving their daughter up to get raped and genocide.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

There is NO difference between Stalins policies and the policies of God.

-

Hall Of Fame
    We need to press the reset button on them. Put them back in the Middle Ages where they belong.