Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic tickets

Practice Squad

Traffic tickets

Has any one seen this situation and have any advice here?

Long story short: East Windsor, NJ. My wife gets pulled over for speeding (71 in a 55), gives the cop license, insurance, registration. Cop is cool and lets her off for the speeding, writes a ticket for no seat belt (she was wearing it but welcomed minor ticket as he says a fine only no points, no court appearance). Good deal. A few days later, letter from court arrives citing mandatory appearance for 4 tickets - careless driving, speeding, seatbelt, no insurance card.

Officer only handed her the one ticket and clearly said that was all he was writing up. Anyone else hear of a cop telling driver one thing and then turning in multiple other violations. Especially when the seatbelt and insurance card were never violations to begin with?

All League
    Don't you get a copy of the ticket? What does it say?

I got a ticket once for speeding, cop only wrote me up for failure to notify DMV of change of address (which I had done). I fight it in court. I go to the judge, he looks at the ticket, and after I tell him that I DID notify DMV, he says how about I drop the $85 charge for failure, and give you a $278 ticket for speeding instead? I said "$85 will be fine"

Practice Squad
    Yes, only one ticket = seat belt violation. That's all cop said he was writing, we're happy to pay it, and then the letter comes noting other citations.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Can't get something after the fact, unless it is true.

All League
    That's fugging ridiculous. You have to fight it.

BTW, what's an insurance card? I thought registration was proof of insurance.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    In NJ, you have to have insurance as well some states don't require insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    That's fugging ridiculous. You have to fight it.

BTW, what's an insurance card? I thought registration was proof of insurance.
    Ummmm... You can register and then cancel insurance...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Just don't get caught.

All League
    So how is an insurance card surety against that? Seems to me you could get the card then cancel the insurance just as easily.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pain many states, including NY I think, when you cancel your insurance, the insurance company must notify the DMV.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGreen View Post
    Has any one seen this situation and have any advice here?

Long story short: East Windsor, NJ. My wife gets pulled over for speeding (71 in a 55), gives the cop license, insurance, registration. Cop is cool and lets her off for the speeding, writes a ticket for no seat belt (she was wearing it but welcomed minor ticket as he says a fine only no points, no court appearance). Good deal. A few days later, letter from court arrives citing mandatory appearance for 4 tickets - careless driving, speeding, seatbelt, no insurance card.

Officer only handed her the one ticket and clearly said that was all he was writing up. Anyone else hear of a cop telling driver one thing and then turning in multiple other violations. Especially when the seatbelt and insurance card were never violations to begin with?
    So this is you what your wife told you?

You were not there?

I've heard some horror stories about NJ cawps, especially the small depts.

All I can suggest is for her to turn up, tell the truth...especially any conversations about reducing the charge to something she wasnt guilty of to begin with. But with these small towns.....

-

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    So this is you what your wife told you?

You were not there?

I've heard some horror stories about NJ cawps, especially the small depts.

All I can suggest is for her to turn up, tell the truth...especially any conversations about reducing the charge to something she wasnt guilty of to begin with. But with these small towns.....

-
    Yeah, the reducing the charge stuff, that sounds really shady to me. It's one thing a cop deciding to let you off, or even fudging the numbers (reducing 68 mph to 58 mph). But writing you up as guilty for an offense you are not guilty of, even if it is simply intended to reduce your fine, man that's lying on the official record, a potentially career-ending offense. I can't imagine a cawp with half a brain suggesting it unless he had no choice. But maybe I don't know.

So how is an insurance card surety against that? Seems to me you could get the card then cancel the insurance just as easily.
    The cop runs it in Texas...

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Pain many states, including NY I think, when you cancel your insurance, the insurance company must notify the DMV.
    Ah, that's a game changer then...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Yeah, the reducing the charge stuff, that sounds really shady to me. It's one thing a cop deciding to let you off, or even fudging the numbers (reducing 68 mph to 58 mph). But writing you up as guilty for an offense you are not guilty of, even if it is simply intended to reduce your fine, man that's lying on the official record, a potentially career-ending offense. I can't imagine a cawp with half a brain suggesting it unless he had no choice. But maybe I don't know.
    In many small depts, the D.A./Judge does it in court...the cop usually has nothing to do with it. Its fugazy, but it happens. "Plead to an equipment violation and pay fiddy bucks....." is normal....Having cops write up stuff in the field and telling the motorist that it would be reduced......sounds unusual to say the least.

Huge corruption issue.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Can't get something after the fact, unless it is true.
    Well, I don't argue that the speeding was true, and other serches do suggest they can hit you for careless driving when speed 15+ the limit. That alone seems like doubling down on the tickets. Our issue is the cop just wrote the one ticket

Practice Squad
    Thanks all. I know it is just a revenue generator for these small yown PD's and they really don't want to hassl;e locals with point on license and appearance hassles. The townships want the $

Your wife lied to you so as to soften the blow. Small doses as opposed to brutal truth. Don't go to court and make an ass out of yourself.

Jets Insider VIP
    All cops are nice.

We discussed this in another thread. Pay your fines or else cops won't come to help you while you're being attacked by thugs and miscreants.

I love cops.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Veteran
    The cop runs it in Texas...
    Yep.
    I got pulled over when I first moved here and all the cop asked for was license and insurance, not registration. But we have registration stickers on our windshields, so maybe that's why he didn't ask for that.

I was in a rental car (before my own car was trucked down here) so it's a good thing I had my insurance card in my purse.