Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 68

Thread: Thursday night football sucks, especially this early in the season...

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think what Ray is trying to say is that his mom won't let him stay up to watch it on a school night

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The NFL better wake up, the NFL product on Thursdays is horrible, these teams are not recovered from the previous week, and it's only week 2, these teams are still getting their regular season legs under them, execution and game plans are still being integrated, chemistry and timing is still off, these games do nothing for the game.

    Player safety is also at further risk, these players just are just not ready to play at an optimum level. Defenses dominate because offenses aren't in sync with the game plans since they don't have a lot of time to prepare.

    Wake up Goodell.

    But it makes more sense late in the season when everybody is beat to crap and the 8 year vets don't stop being sore until Friday? These guys are fresh now. They have also have a month of camp, pre-season games, and OTAs. if they aren't ready, it's on them.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Id love to move it to friday night too. But I do not think friday night is a big ratings night.

  4. #24
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell it to the Ravens who are starting off the season playing 4 games in 17 days. Imagine 1/4 of the season in 2 1/2 weeks!?!?!?!?!


    Ravens/Bengals Mon, 09/10

    Ravens/Eagles Sun, 09/16

    Ravens/Pats Sun, 09/23

    Ravens/Browns Thu, 09/27

    That's insane.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Id love to move it to friday night too. But I do not think friday night is a big ratings night.
    There is some agreement that the NFL would never televise games on Friday night because they don't want to compete with high school football.

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    There is some agreement that the NFL would never televise games on Friday night because they don't want to compete with high school football.
    I heard that too. Same goes for Saturday's and college football.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    There is some agreement that the NFL would never televise games on Friday night because they don't want to compete with high school football.
    I have heard the same.

    I think Thursday, Sunday and Monday is a nice way to go about it. I like what they are doing. Bringing more content to the fans.

    The NFL London games are what needs to go. NFL Europe failed and the London game was created to appease the fans in Europe. NFL is an American sport. Can't play games every week if you are going to be international.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    As for the Packers offense....they were playing the Bears and they didn't look good against the 49ers in Week 1 (an excellent defense). It's not surprising that they've come down from the heights they achieved last year. That level of offensive execution was not sustainable.
    Without Jennings, the Packers skill players really aren't all that hard to match up with and become a pretty average group. Nelson is a great #2, but as a #1, he's kind of middle of the road and you can slow him down. Jones is a physical talent, but has drop issues and does not run good routes. Cobb is still developing and more of a utility guy. Finley is a mixed bag, he'll do as many bad things as good things in some games.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sh!tty football on a Thursday night is better than no football on a Thursday night.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Sh!tty football on a Thursday night is better than no football on a Thursday night.
    On paper that was a great game. Bears v Packers is always a big game. Long-time rivalry. This thread is a complete second guess.

    Ask the Broncos fans if they liked TNF last year. Or if we liked it 2 years ago. Sometimes games don't live up to the hype. And now both of those teams have a mini bye-week. I am sure the players like having the weekend off.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    On paper that was a great game. Bears v Packers is always a big game. Long-time rivalry. This thread is a complete second guess.

    Ask the Broncos fans if they liked TNF last year. Or if we liked it 2 years ago. Sometimes games don't live up to the hype. And now both of those teams have a mini bye-week. I am sure the players like having the weekend off.
    Game sure looked a lot like the 2010-11 NFC Championship Game to me. And that is supposed to be one of the highest level games played all year. Packers-Bears is almost never a shootout and Rodgers has had some of his more mediocre games against Chicago. Cutler is always at risk to have a stinker, especially if he is under heavy pressure. I don't see how the short week affected this game at all.

  12. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The NFL London games are what needs to go. NFL Europe failed and the London game was created to appease the fans in Europe. NFL is an American sport. Can't play games every week if you are going to be international.
    Unfortunately, the London game is only going to get bigger and not go away.

    This penalizes all the teams in the Eastern time zone as the NFL will never schedule any West Coast team to play in this game because of the travel.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Unfortunately, the London game is only going to get bigger and not go away.

    This penalizes all the teams in the Eastern time zone as the NFL will never schedule any West Coast team to play in this game because of the travel.
    Imagine if all this talk of a team going to Europe permanently (if Goodell has his way) comes to fruition. Do you think that is good or bad for the league?

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,707
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't like it as soon as I heard about it. I think it messes up the schedules too much and I think it's a little overkill for thr Nfl. Also, Rodgers got me exactly 0 points in FF last night so theres that.

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NRW, Germany
    Posts
    1,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Imagine if all this talk of a team going to Europe permanently (if Goodell has his way) comes to fruition. Do you think that is good or bad for the league?
    It's pretty bad and I'm saying this from the other side of the pond, where we are lusting for games of the NFL.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    It's pretty bad and I'm saying this from the other side of the pond, where we are lusting for games of the NFL.
    Do you think the NFL could ever put a dent in soccer? I don't think it can.

    And that is not even getting into the logistics of it. I don't see how there could ever feasibly be a team stationed in Europe. I think the only way is for them to have more games there and add a bye-week to the current schedule to hep with the travel. Maybe have one game in Europe a month to start. But I think the goal is to have one game a week.

  17. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Imagine if all this talk of a team going to Europe permanently (if Goodell has his way) comes to fruition. Do you think that is good or bad for the league?
    It's all about money, nothing else matters.

    I think within the next 5-10 years, you will see a NFL team permanently in London.

  18. #38
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    It's all about money, nothing else matters.

    I think within the next 5-10 years, you will see a NFL team permanently in London.
    Good, send them to Oakland instead of the Jets. lolol

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    It's all about money, nothing else matters.

    I think within the next 5-10 years, you will see a NFL team permanently in London.
    I'd hate to see that. I believe it's U.S. sport. I understand the $ aspect, but I am not in the bandwagon to expand past our borders.

  20. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'd hate to see that. I believe it's U.S. sport. I understand the $ aspect, but I am not in the bandwagon to expand past our borders.
    I'm okay with a permanent team in London. Just as long it's in the NFC West.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us