Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: boomer and carton just said revis isnt playing

Giants' Deon Grant learns firsthand how NFL's concussion test puts safety ahead of winning

January 20, 2012 a

Deon Grant lowered his aiming point as Ryan Grant leaped to catch a short check-down pass and began to spin around. He didn't want to make helmet-to-helmet contact on this Grant-on-Grant hit.

It only served to mush Deon's helmet into the top of his nose as Ryan's midsection came down on him, thus dazing the Giants safety and causing momentarily blurred vision.

Minutes later, Grant was back in the visiting locker room at Lambeau Field, begging the Giants' doctors to hurry through the concussion test so he could help finish off the upset of the defending champion Green Bay Packers.

"I kept on saying, 'Let's go. Come on, we've got to get the defense back,' " Grant recalled this week after a practice in preparation for Sunday's NFC Championship Game against the 49ers. "And they're like, 'No, you're not going back in the game. They're going to be all right.'

"They would not let me go back out there until they took me through the whole test."

There were days earlier in Grant's 12-year career when a player could win such arguments, especially at this time of the year. The former Seattle Seahawk, Carolina Panther and Jacksonville Jaguar recalls when "if you said you could go, you could go."

Not so in today's NFL.

In response to research about the effects of repeat concussions, the league has taken steps to diagnose in-game head injuries by putting players through comprehensive tests before they're cleared to return to the game and recently installing sideline monitors to review footage of players who might've sustained a concussion.

So far this postseason, the Giants have put three players through concussion tests: Grant, Aaron Ross and D.J. Ware. Despite the elevated stakes and the short-handed secondary, they followed proper protocol and held Ross out of the game against the Falcons when they were uncertain he had even suffered a concussion.

Grant eventually got back in the game and recorded an interception to help seal the upset -- but not before proving without a doubt he was only temporarily dinged.

"At the Giants," senior vice president of communications Pat Hanlon said, "if there's doubt, they are pulled."

This Sunday, in what's expected to be a physical matchup in San Francisco to determine which team goes to Super Bowl XLVI, the Giants' players can expect the medical staff to be just as cautious.

"I wanted to go in as soon as I came to the sideline but they made me go inside for the tests," Ross said. "They said they still didn't know; I said I didn't have a concussion because I could remember everything.

"But it's somebody's life so they really have to take those kinds of precautions."

This past offseason, after the Eagles' Stewart Bradley stumbled off the field and then returned to the game, the NFL introduced a standardized test to be conducted in all cases where a concussion is suspected. The test includes:

• A rundown of physical symptoms visible to the medical staff, as well as those only the player can detect, such as double vision or nausea.

• A series of questions to check orientation ("What month is it?" "What is the day of the week?") plus Maddocks' Questions, developed by physician D.L. Maddocks, which apply to the sport being played ("What quarter is it right now?" "Who scored last in the game?").

• Word recall of a list of five words, three trials of the same words. Then, two concentration tests: repeating strings of numbers (from three to six) and the months of the year -- both backward.

• Balance testing inside the locker room, with motions performed while standing with feet together, on one (non-dominant) foot and in a tandem stance (with the non-dominant foot in the back).

• The final score is calculated and compared to a "baseline" score conducted in training camp. If it doesn't match up, the player is held out.

It all sounds simple, which is why these finely tuned athletes are sometimes overcome when they realize their brain isn't operating properly.

"That's the scary part and that's why some guys get emotional. At the time, I did, too," said guard Chris Snee, who left the Week 5 game against the Seahawks with a concussion that sent him to the hospital and kept him out the following week. "When you can't think of something, it's scary."

A 300-pound lineman who is arguably the strongest player in the Giants' locker room wasn't shy to admit he cried after failing the test.

"Yeah," Snee said, "I lost it a little bit."

Snee fell onto an official that day and told him, "Get me off the field." Two weeks ago, umpire Undrey Walsh saw Ware fall over as he tried getting up and then lean to the left while walking.

"Come on, son," Ware recalls Walsh saying. "You gotta go."

Ware tried to convince the medical staff he had merely gotten his "bell rung," but they saw the footage. Plus, he failed the computerized ImPACT test later in the week because his reaction time was slow.

Despite the importance of the game, and the fact rookie Prince Amukamara had to go in for Ross, the Giants took no chances with either Ross or Ware.

Just like earlier in the season when they hid long snapper Zak DeOssie's helmet so he couldn't run back into the game.

"They're smart about it," DeOssie said.

And the test is a smart one that can't be beat. Grant said after Sunday's game, "I'll pass that test every time." That seemed to suggest he knows ways to get around it, but he clarified later in the week he was an engineering major who's good in recalling numbers.

Which is why the baseline test is vital, unless a player intentionally botches it.

"We always joke about that, but we know how serious it is. No one throws it," DeOssie said. "You're risking too much."

It's all still a bit of science on the fly with an injury that's tougher to quantify than, say, a broken bone. But unlike the early stages of Grant's career, they're getting closer to doing so.

"The good thing is now I know what it feels like," Snee said. "Everyone always asked me if I ever had (a concussion) and I said, 'I don't think so.' And now I can confirm, this is what I went through.

"I've had my bell rung, I've seen stars. I think that's normal. But this is different."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rns_first.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-14-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Darrelle Revis practices for Jets while TE Dustin Keller remains absent

Darrelle Revis was practicing for the Jets for the first time this week. Zach Ornitz/The Star-Ledger
    Jets DB Darrelle Revis (concussion) was wearing a helmet and participating in practice for the first time this week.

Revis said yesterday that his status was completely in the hands of the training staff, but was preparing to play all week. Revis also attended all team meetings.

A final decision on the corner will have to be made before the team flight leaves on Saturday, Rex Ryan said yesterday.

TE Dustin Keller (hamstring), though, was not out at practice today. Keller suffered a setback during practice yesterday and then this morning, the Jets signed TE Dedrick Epps off the Bears practice squad.

The move raises questions about Keller's status for Sunday because the Jets now carry four tight ends on their practice squad. Epps was on the team's preseason roster this year.

In other injury news...

S Eric Smith (hip/knee),NT Sione Po'uha (back), WR Stephen Hill (calf), LB Josh Mauga (ribs)
    FB John Conner (knee) and WR Jeremy Kerley (back) were all participating during practice today.

Kerley was in with the offense running routes and Po'uha was in with the defense, good signs for Sunday.

OLB Bryan Thomas (hamstring) was still off to the side with the rehab group.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Darrelle Revis practices for Jets while TE Dustin Keller remains absent

Darrelle Revis was practicing for the Jets for the first time this week. Zach Ornitz/The Star-Ledger
    Jets DB Darrelle Revis (concussion) was wearing a helmet and participating in practice for the first time this week.

Revis said yesterday that his status was completely in the hands of the training staff, but was preparing to play all week. Revis also attended all team meetings.

A final decision on the corner will have to be made before the team flight leaves on Saturday, Rex Ryan said yesterday.

TE Dustin Keller (hamstring), though, was not out at practice today. Keller suffered a setback during practice yesterday and then this morning, the Jets signed TE Dedrick Epps off the Bears practice squad.

The move raises questions about Keller's status for Sunday because the Jets now carry four tight ends on their practice squad. Epps was on the team's preseason roster this year.

In other injury news...

S Eric Smith (hip/knee),NT Sione Po'uha (back), WR Stephen Hill (calf), LB Josh Mauga (ribs)
    FB John Conner (knee) and WR Jeremy Kerley (back) were all participating during practice today.

Kerley was in with the offense running routes and Po'uha was in with the defense, good signs for Sunday.

OLB Bryan Thomas (hamstring) was still off to the side with the rehab group.
    Excellent. Positive vibe from this post.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Excellent. Positive vibe from this post.
    Were you allowed to do anything at all after concussions, I wasn't and that was over 30 years ago?

Side note did you know Al Bundy was signed and cut by the Steelers, never knew that thought it was a gimmick in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No way, Ray said that he was fine.
    Weren't you the one just yesterday complaining about the lack of adult behavior on this site?

Revis practiced today

When you come back from hiding...

I look forward to your apology

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Were you allowed to do anything at all after concussions, I wasn't and that was over 30 years ago?

Side note did you know Al Bundy was signed and cut by the Steelers, never knew that thought it was a gimmick in the show.
    yep

O'Neill attended Ursuline High School and won a football scholarship to Ohio University, where he majored in history.[5] O'Neill left Ohio after his sophomore year: he spent more time playing sports and partying than studying[5] and also feuded with his coach. He transferred to Youngstown State University, where he was a defensive lineman.[4] O'Neill was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969, but was cut in training camp.[6][3][4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_O%27Neill

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The NFL's Standardized Concussion Tests

For the first time, all 32 teams will have the same guidelines to evaluate a player's condition. "The guidelines are voluntary, not mandatory," says Dr. Ellenbogen, "but then most of the team physicians have been using most of the same methods."

The examination has three elements: neurological testing, with a doctor checking eye movement; cognitive tests, with the player answering standardized questions; and a balance test. So how do you pass?

"The cognitive tests involve questions anyone can answer," says Princeton University's Margot Putukian, chair of the NFL's Return-to-Play Subcommittee. "Where are we? Who are we playing? What's the score?

Who did we play last week? Did we win? They're also asked to list numbers and months backwards," Dr. Putukian adds.

"The balance test," explains Dr. Ellenbogen, "is not unlike a police sobriety test. The BESS—Balance Error Scoring System—is a quantifiable evaluation which requires the player to stand in three positions, such as weight on one leg like a stork, with hands on hips and eyes closed for 20 seconds."

How do you know if you passed? "The results are compared with neuropsychological testing that each player takes before the season," Dr. Putukian says.

But the treatment doesn't end there. Nirav K. Shah, a neurosurgeon with Princeton Brain & Spine Care, commends both the NFL and the players for the improved guidelines, but cautions that this should be just the first step.

"Persistent symptoms after concussions," he says, "require independent evaluation—persistent is the key.

Follow-up care might require from hours to months. The NFL doesn't consider this problem resolved when the game clock runs out."

"In modern sports medicine," Dr. Putukian says, "there's no such thing as an offseason for the physicians."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...205150580.html

That's what I thought. I wonder why they don't do brain scans... is it the cost involved?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Weren't you the one just yesterday complaining about the lack of adult behavior on this site?

Revis practiced today

I wouldn't jump the gun on that, ya never know.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    That's what I thought. I wonder why they don't do brain scans... is it the cost involved?
    Scans in a concussion are normal.

Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio View Post
    Scans in a concussion are normal.
    "Brain imaging may be required to determine whether the injury is severe and has caused bleeding or swelling in your skull."

So much gray area when dealing with concussions. If Revis is failing these verbal, reflex and balance tests, then I doubt they would have him running drills and lifting weights.

Hall Of Fame
    "Brain imaging may be required to determine whether the injury is severe and has caused bleeding or swelling in your skull."

So much gray area when dealing with concussions. If Revis is failing these verbal, reflex and balance tests, then I doubt they would have him running drills and lifting weights.
    Concussions do not cause bleeding or brain swelling.

They just said on Sirius that "You have to be medically cleared from a concussion in order to be out on the field, with a helmet, running drills."

So like I said, this has all been a #smokescreen.

Hall Of Fame
    They just said on Sirius that "You have to be medically cleared from a concussion in order to be out on the field, with a helmet, running drills."

Medically cleared for practice and activity is not the same as medically cleared without restrictions.

Well, Daniel Thomas of the Dolphins passed his concussion test but is not playing this weekend. They could be doing the same with Revis to see how he feels the next day. No need to push him to play this one game so then he turns around and misses the next 4.

Hall Of Fame

Incorrect. You have to be cleared for contact to be able to play.

Revis practiced today

Looks like Lucy has some Splainin' to do.

I'm sure Patman is waiting with baited breath for your apology, which I'm sure is forthcoming.

Jets Insider VIP

Revis practiced today

Ooops.

By the way, if you're going to call out someone for lack of "adult behavior," don't you think it would sound better if you didn't post a picture of a guy with his head literally buried in his ass?