Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Revis OUT for Sunday

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I'm sure the reason why the Giants pass rush is so good is becuase of the great play of their CB's.

Come on BURGH, you know the game better than that.
    No, you can have a good pass rush without good cb play. They just have to be studs. Good cb play however does help make the pass rush better. They have more time to get to the qb if all receivers are covered.

OC definitely have to game plan around revis. Obviously he cant cover everyone, so you will see more Receivers on the field than you normally would.

I appreciate your kind words of my knowledge.

Do you really think OC's stay awake at night game-planning around a CB?
    oh, i'm sure the Pasts* have never EVER game-planned for Revis

Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post
    I bet a dollar he woulda played with a long term contract.

Im worried about us this week.
    No he wouldn't. The NFL would have put a stop to that.

I;m not worried about this game. I didn't think we were going to win anyway with Revis. The Steelers need this game more than we do and they are at home.

Look for a beatdown of Miami next week. Dolphins are worse than usual because of the presence of Ryan Tannehill.

Veteran
    interesting that the point spread isn't moving with revis, keller and thomas out

All League
    Those are average salaries by position.

Is Revis an average CB?

Why don't you look at the top salaries (the best at their positions) by QB, WR, RB, DE/OLB, LT and CB's.
    don't think I'll bother, because I'm not arguing with you that he'll make what a top DE or OLB makes. I AM arguing that a top CB changes the game a lot more than you're indicating...you act like they merely take away 1 player -- but that understates the impact.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    oh, i'm sure the Pasts* have never EVER game-planned for Revis
    Yea, it's a 2 second game plan.

Don't throw the ball to the guy Revis is covering.

It's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    interesting that the point spread isn't moving with revis, keller and thomas out
    Harrison and Polamalu are both highly likely to miss the game, which evens things out.

you make me miss FF2.

(that's not a compliment)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Crash, if that's really him, you gotta broker a deal for his reinstatement; much like JW did for me when I was banned all those years ago after the "Bozos Bus Debacle".
    I gotta? I gotta? I gotta get gagoots? Don't you tell me what gagoots I gotta go get.

I dunno. I kinda like the new name. Its in the "Victorious Secret" vein.

It's not rocket science.
    Speaking of the Pats, a couple years ago, Revis was hurt against the Pats, gave up a TD to Randy Moss, and didn't play the second half of the game and Cromartie played very well and the Jets won the game.

So, who knows? I still think the motivation for the Steelers to win this game will carry the day,

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I gotta? I gotta? I gotta get gagoots? Don't you tell me what gagoots I gotta go get.

I dunno. I kinda like the new name. Its in the "Victorious Secret" vein.
    LOL. Okay, boss.

I like the new name, too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Googoots View Post
    Don't forget that the guy is just plain good to have around because of his Jerry Rice-type work ethic and its potential influence on the young guys. We need that with Holmes' black cloud hovering about.
    WB you crazy SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    WB you crazy SOB.

If it's really Gagoots, he will know the name of the legendary bartender at Basilio's.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    it's not up to Revis, Rex, Tannenbaum or Jonathan Feinsod.

he has to pass the tests administered by the medical staff and an independent evaluator.

unless you're accusing Revis of somehow faking his symptoms to deliberately fail the test...
    Who cares what he thinks, it was a idiotic comment on every level.

Only a clown would question the motives of someone with a head injury.

That's a totally ridiculous comment.

CB's take away the opposing teams #1 WR, and that's about it.

Do you really think OC's stay awake at night game-planning around a CB?

And again, no team is stupid enough to pay a CB $100MM.
    I haven't the capacity to get into it with you today, so I'll say my piece and leave it for another day:

Whether you're simply trolling, or haven't thought it through, there is a very strong argument that can be made against your claims; which while valid, are not at all as cut and dry as you make them out to be.

The impact of the marginal difference between teams playing 11 vs. 11, and 10 vs. 10 is huge. When you incorporate the quality (degrees in a technical sense) of that marginal player you're neutralizing, it has an even greater impact. When you take into account the number of snaps that the player is rendered useless, it's almost undeniable that Revis is worth it.

A lot of it has to do with what people see and don't see. You don't see Revis on every play, but you see a pass rush and a QB on every play. And since Brady is the gold standard, and we've seen him neutralized twice by the Giants pass rush in two separate super bowls, this thought process is amplified.

However, what people forget is the 'group of chicks' fallacy. When they're all together, they look hot...take them individually, and they lose a bit of their luster.

The Giants pass rush is not one player or two players...it's a revolving door of 4-5 talented, athletic pass rushers. Take them individually and put them on another team, they're not wreaking the havoc that they are together.

Dwight Freeney, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Elvis Dumerville, Clay Matthews...great examples of pass rushers who, while showing flashes, didn't consistently "star" until they had that secondary pass rusher or that big NT to destroy the middle of the line.

The other point, is that no pass rusher totally neutralizes a player on a per snap basis, anywhere near Revis. Even great pass rushers like Clay and Elvis had down years last year. For all the havoc that Dwight caused, he could be rendered useless on a pass play with TE support. Mario Williams, all it took was a few chips from no-named Jets. With Revis, the only way he's been neutralized on pass plays is by injury. And no, avoiding Revis is not neutralizing him, it's neutralizing your team's best passing weapon, because Revis ONLY sticks the opposing player's best receivers...he's not Nnamdi who took out secondary receivers.

Regarding the opposing OC statement...I'm going to chalk that one up to trolling, because I don't believe anyone is dense enough to think that opposing OCs don't worry about Revis' impact on the D. What he allows Rex and the other 10 guys on D to do by his presence alone, gives opposing OCs fits, especially when you consider that the one player being taken away by avoiding him is their best passing game weapon (with the exception of Jimmy in NO).

Lastly, it's about scarcity. You'll notice that I haven't included DeMarcus Ware in this discussion, because he's the exception to everything I've stated. He is the case that can be made against Revis for most valuable defensive player. However, the drop off between him and a player such as JPP is not as drastic as the dropoff between Revis and his next best contemporary. That principle is what separates Revis from everyone else, and is why he is the most valuable defensive player in the game.

EDIT: regarding the $100mm, I haven't kept up with the NFL contracts as of late, so I'm not sure what the defining criteria is. $100mm seems like alot to me, but if any pass rusher or CB has been paid that in the past, you'd damn well believe Revis is worth, and can get- that kind of money.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 09-14-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post
    I bet a dollar he woulda played with a long term contract.

Im worried about us this week.
    He wasn't cleared to play.

It wasn't his or the team's decision.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    If it's really Gagoots, he will know the name of the legendary bartender at Basilio's.
    Assuming he wants to "out" himself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    I haven't the capacity to get into it with you today, so I'll say my piece and leave it for another day:

Whether you're simply trolling, or haven't thought it through, there is a very strong argument that can be made against your claims; which while valid, are not at all as cut and dry as you make them out to be.

The impact of the marginal difference between teams playing 11 vs. 11, and 10 vs. 10 is huge. When you incorporate the quality (degrees in a technical sense) of that marginal player you're neutralizing, it has an even greater impact. When you take into account the number of snaps that the player is rendered useless, it's almost undeniable that Revis is worth it.

A lot of it has to do with what people see and don't see. You don't see Revis on every play, but you see a pass rush and a QB on every play. And since Brady is the gold standard, and we've seen him neutralized twice by the Giants pass rush in two separate super bowls, this thought process is amplified.

However, what people forget is the 'group of chicks' fallacy. When they're all together, they look hot...take them individually, and they lose a bit of their luster.

The Giants pass rush is not one player or two players...it's a revolving door of 4-5 talented, athletic pass rushers. Take them individually and put them on another team, they're not wreaking the havoc that they are together.

Dwight Freeney, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Elvis Dumerville, Clay Matthews...great examples of pass rushers who, while showing flashes, didn't consistently "star" until they had that secondary pass rusher or that big NT to destroy the middle of the line.

The other point, is that no pass rusher totally neutralizes a player on a per snap basis, anywhere near Revis. Even great pass rushers like Clay and Elvis had down years last year. For all the havoc that Dwight caused, he could be rendered useless on a pass play with TE support. Mario Williams, all it took was a few chips from no-named Jets. With Revis, the only way he's been neutralized on pass plays is by injury. And no, avoiding Revis is not neutralizing him, it's neutralizing your team's best passing weapon, because Revis ONLY sticks the opposing player's best receivers...he's not Nnamdi who took out secondary receivers.

Regarding the opposing OC statement...I'm going to chalk that one up to trolling, because I don't believe anyone is dense enough to think that opposing OCs don't worry about Revis' impact on the D. What he allows Rex and the other 10 guys on D to do by his presence alone, gives opposing OCs fits, especially when you consider that the one player being taken away by avoiding him is their best passing game weapon (with the exception of Jimmy in NO).

Lastly, it's about scarcity. You'll notice that I haven't included DeMarcus Ware in this discussion, because he's the exception to everything I've stated. He is the case that can be made against Revis for most valuable defensive player. However, the drop off between him and a player such as JPP is not as drastic as the dropoff between Revis and his next best contemporary. That principle is what separates Revis from everyone else, and is why he is the most valuable defensive player in the game.

EDIT: regarding the $100mm, I haven't kept up with the NFL contracts as of late, so I'm not sure what the defining criteria is. $100mm seems like alot to me, but if any pass rusher or CB has been paid that in the past, you'd damn well believe Revis is worth, and can get- that kind of money.
    Excellent post greenwhich, I'm not sure if we are saying different things.

BTW, your "group of chicks" analogy is pure gold.

Jets Insider VIP
    Assuming he wants to "out" himself.
    We already know he's a ghey.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It wasn't his or the team's decision.
    I agree there is no conspiracy or that Revis is intentially not playing.

But what you just said isn't correct. Revis said he was still in a fog, that's why he wasn't cleared. Had he said he was 100% with zero effects he would have been good to go.