Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calvin Pace

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Calvin Pace

So I watched the game on DVR this week, and just watched most of the game with the coaches cam and Calvin Pace really stood out to me. He looked quick, powerful and showed a good motor. He looks like he is still our best pass rusher by a long shot. It was a pleasant surprise since I had pretty much written him off for this season. I think the key for Pace is to use him more like a DE than a real 3-4 OLB, just let him play the edge and occasionally have him drop into the curl, just can't have him playing man coverage or dropping into the flats. When he is stuck out in space like that, he looks out of place and gets exposed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You noticed a big difference setting the edge when he was gone. Isn't this a contract year for him? We really need someone else to step up this year. Mostly to be ready for next year, without him, or Thomas. That may be a big reason for them trying to switch to a 43. Our run defense may really suffer especially if Pouha starts to show his age.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    So I watched the game on DVR this week, and just watched most of the game with the coaches cam and Calvin Pace really stood out to me. He looked quick, powerful and showed a good motor. He looks like he is still our best pass rusher by a long shot. It was a pleasant surprise since I had pretty much written him off for this season. I think the key for Pace is to use him more like a DE than a real 3-4 OLB, just let him play the edge and occasionally have him drop into the curl, just can't have him playing man coverage or dropping into the flats. When he is stuck out in space like that, he looks out of place and gets exposed.
    What you noticed was he wasn't doing it all alone like he was last year. Coples takes a lot of pressure off of him because unlike Devito he can get to the QB as well. Also he doesn't have to post up vs the run as much. Really I never saw why people thought Devito was any good. He is also benefiting from having Thomas back. Last year no one respected the other side. Pace can still get pressure and help vs the run but is still an average OLB in the league. Maybe good for 5-7 sacks but very replaceable. Simply not worth what we are paying or what he will make next year when cut. As much as I am not a Maybin fan there is not much difference in the 2 right now. Maybin can create a better pass rush IMO but is lacking most else where.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You noticed a big difference setting the edge when he was gone. Isn't this a contract year for him? We really need someone else to step up this year. Mostly to be ready for next year, without him, or Thomas. That may be a big reason for them trying to switch to a 43. Our run defense may really suffer especially if Pouha starts to show his age.
    Yes looking at next year, Pace, Scott, Thomas, Pouha (Emergence of Ellis) will most likely not be on this team especially with the money they are going to have to give to Keller, Revis and Landry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    Yes looking at next year, Pace, Scott, Thomas, Pouha (Emergence of Ellis) will most likely not be on this team especially with the money they are going to have to give to Keller, Revis and Landry.
    I'd keep Thomas if he resigns for vet min. It wouldn't even count against the cap so why not? Even if we give him a slight raise he'd be cheap to keep. With Maybin, Pace, and Scott gone it wouldn't hurt to try to keep him. We drafted him and we brought him back after injury. I can't see why he wouldn't offer us a nice option to stay. Even at a 1 mil deal that would still save us some money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Exactly. He will be missed in the run game.

One thing about the 4-3. I do not think Harris fits and that is something I am going to watch this year if and when we line up in a true 4-3.

When we had Vilma he was perfect. But when we moved to the 3-4 he couldn't play. I think the same could hold true for Harris. He is not a prototypical 4-3 MLB.

I think we might show some vulnerability in the 4-3 b of that. Everyone talked about how out DL and OLB personnel could fit it but nobody questioned how Scott and Harris would fare.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-15-2012 at 01:05 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    We're not paying Keller dude. His skill-set doesn't match his productivity. If we draft a tightend early next year we might even get equal value. Look at these young TE's that come in and in year 1-2 are already nightmare match ups. I've been watching some college games early on and there's some MAMMOTH tightends out there like 6-4 to 6-7 ... b ball players who played football in highschool and know they won't make the NBA and figure its a better shot at a million dollars. Keller is gone

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Exactly. He will be missed in the run game.

One thing about the 4-3. I do not think Harris fits and that is something I am going to watch this year if and when we line up in a true 4-3.

When we had Vilma he was perfect. But when we moved to the 3-4 he couldn't play. I think the same could hold true for Harris. He is not a prototypical 4-3 MLB.

I think we might show some vulnerability in the 4-3 b of that. Everyone talked about how out DL and OLB personnel could fit it but nobody questioned how Scott and Harris would fare.
    Hopefully, Davis will be a good sideline to sideline LB for us. Him and Harris (hopefully) will compliment eachother.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a good question. If Pace where to say agree to take a pay cut for next year would you keep him. He costs 3 mil to cut so if he agrees to stay for 5 would you do it? Same goes for Scott if he would take a 4 mil deal. Obviously these are guys that are past their tenure and are worth more to us then anyone else because of the cuts. Also mind you Maybin is a FA as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    We're not paying Keller dude. His skill-set doesn't match his productivity. If we draft a tightend early next year we might even get equal value. Look at these young TE's that come in and in year 1-2 are already nightmare match ups. I've been watching some college games early on and there's some MAMMOTH tightends out there like 6-4 to 6-7 ... b ball players who played football in highschool and know they won't make the NBA and figure its a better shot at a million dollars. Keller is gone
    I'm actually shocked we didn't trade Keller this year. 3 mil in savings and we obviously don't value him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'm actually shocked we didn't trade Keller this year. 3 mil in savings and we obviously don't value him.
    Who said we don't value him? He's been hurt. Let's see what happens then decide what to do with him. Maybe Cumberland will break out. He blocks a little better, and Konrad is a nice tweener, that has the body, and is learning to block.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a good question. If Pace where to say agree to take a pay cut for next year would you keep him. He costs 3 mil to cut so if he agrees to stay for 5 would you do it? Same goes for Scott if he would take a 4 mil deal. Obviously these are guys that are past their tenure and are worth more to us then anyone else because of the cuts. Also mind you Maybin is a FA as well.
    That would be great if they can do that. Would be a steal.

I think Pace would look for something like spreading the $11.5 million over 2 years and making it guaranteed. I think that would be his starting point in negotiations. Ellis got $4 million from the Pats so I do not think Pace would want to test the market b.c there may not be many suitors.

I would like to keep for him at least one more season this way we can draft some offense with our top picks for once (assuming it is BPA). I do not think we will have the money to sign a quality FA so it is safe to say his replacement will likely be a downgrade.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

if he was playing with new england .........

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    denver, or anywhere there was a premium qb, he would be a super star. i dont care about his blocking. i would run my whole offense through stopping him, then go to other options. he creates the best mismatches out there. but we are too often trying to force the ball to s. holmes to satisfy his immature a$$. the reason we scored so many points was we have that kind of offense. its when holmes try to dominate the game by pouting or putting all that pressure on sanchez's weak a$$ that they start to falter. watch as the season goes on this happens.......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What you noticed was he wasn't doing it all alone like he was last year. Coples takes a lot of pressure off of him because unlike Devito he can get to the QB as well. Also he doesn't have to post up vs the run as much. Really I never saw why people thought Devito was any good. He is also benefiting from having Thomas back. Last year no one respected the other side. Pace can still get pressure and help vs the run but is still an average OLB in the league. Maybe good for 5-7 sacks but very replaceable. Simply not worth what we are paying or what he will make next year when cut. As much as I am not a Maybin fan there is not much difference in the 2 right now. Maybin can create a better pass rush IMO but is lacking most else where.
    Devito is a premier run stuffer in the league, but doesn't get any pass rush whatsoever. What's the problem with that for a guy who barely makes above the minimum?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Harris could play strong-side LB in the 4-3. And Davis, with his speed, might be able to play MLB or WLB. Add one more LB from next year's draft and we're a true 4-3 base defense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    pace has improved with the solid play of the defensive line.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Devito is a premier run stuffer in the league, but doesn't get any pass rush whatsoever. What's the problem with that for a guy who barely makes above the minimum?
    No he isn't. He has never shown that at all. If he has then I'm Joe Montana. People need to stop trying to sell that. He makes what he should I have no issue with that but as a starter he was horrid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would be great if they can do that. Would be a steal.

I think Pace would look for something like spreading the $11.5 million over 2 years and making it guaranteed. I think that would be his starting point in negotiations. Ellis got $4 million from the Pats so I do not think Pace would want to test the market b.c there may not be many suitors.

I would like to keep for him at least one more season this way we can draft some offense with our top picks for once (assuming it is BPA). I do not think we will have the money to sign a quality FA so it is safe to say his replacement will likely be a downgrade.
    I'd really like to see the jets draft a OLB that can get to the QB to play opposite pace next season. next year's draft will be very telling and should say a lot about if the jets will go for a 4-3 base defense. OLB's that can play in the 3-4 are not very easy to come by. for a team looking for a consistent pass rush it might just be easier to draft college DE's and not worry about converting them to the 3-4

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    pace has improved with the solid play of the defensive line.
    Pace is one of those football players like Bryan Thomas that fans love to dump on. No superstar but with the right team components around him, he can be valuable. Did we overpay for him ? Yes, but that was a time when we had to; the Jets, for a long time, were not a very attractive destination.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one here who sees that Pace is not quick enough to get to the QB?

I mean he does get pressure but there are many times where he's running full-bore at the opposing QB and that QB almost always manages to JOG away and keep him at a distance long enough to make his throw.