Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets may make Joe McKnight a two way player

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets may make Joe McKnight a two way player

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wo-way-player/

With the Jetsí top cornerback Darrelle Revis, sitting out Sundayís game with a concussion, running back Joe McKnight may move to defense to give the Jets some depth in the secondary.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that McKnight practiced at cornerback this week. McKnight, who played cornerback for one play last season, would be the fifth healthy cornerback on the roster with Revis out.

Moving McKnight to defense temporarily makes sense, as he doesnít have much of a role on the offense now that heís been beaten out by Bilal Powell for the third-down role. McKnight played just three snaps on offense in Week One against the Bills, in addition to playing 14 plays on special teams.

Jets coach Rex Ryan has said that he likes getting talented players on the field in any way he can, whether itís Tim Tebow on special teams or Antonio Cromartie on offense. Although Cromartie didnít play any offense in Week One, he said during training camp that heís the second-best receiver on the team.

No word on whether McKnight considers himself the second-best cornerback on the Jets.
    Profootballtalk writers are d*cks!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't that make him a one way player?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this keeps Eric Smith off the field, go for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    by all means keep Powell in the third down role but I hope they start using McKnight more on first/second down, as a change-of-pace option to Greene.

his speed and catching ability gives the offense a different dimension.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be happy if he could do one thing well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I'd be happy if he could do one thing well.
    agreed and we must find out if he is ready to capitalize on all his talent! if not, its time for him to go. he has had time to show what he has. No more excuses IMO. Making him play CB will only give him another excuse. He is here to be a dynamic RB for us. If he can not do it, someone else can.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    agreed and we must find out if he is ready to capitalize on all his talent! if not, its time for him to go. he has had time to show what he has. No more excuses IMO. Making him play CB will only give him another excuse. He is here to be a dynamic RB for us. If he can not do it, someone else can.
    Right. Aside from holding onto the football, I thought he could be used as poor mans BWest type even some screens out into the flat, and an occassional 8-15 yard run. I know you need some line help with that, idk.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

NY Jets running back Joe McKnight practices at cornerback in preparation for game

NY Jets running back Joe McKnight practices at cornerback in preparation for game against Pittsburgh Steelers

The Jets may expand Joe McKnight’s role in an unconventional way against the Steelers on Sunday. The Daily News has learned that McKnight, who was beaten out by Bilal Powell for the Jets’ third-down running back job, practiced at cornerback this week.

McKnight played in just three of the Jets’ 67 snaps in Week 1, according to Pro Football Focus. His primary responsibilities will be at running back, but the Jets may use him as an emergency cornerback in Pittsburgh.

McKnight took some practice reps all week and met with defensive coaches to prepare for the task, according to sources.

The Jets are down to only four healthy cornerbacks on the active roster after All-Pro Darrelle Revis (concussion) was ruled out for the game. The Jets typically have carried six cornerbacks on their roster in the past.

Ryan can’t have enough good corners against the Steelers, who could feature four- and five-wide receiver looks.

McKnight got a taste of defense in 2011. He was used as a blitzing back on one play against the Ravens in Week 4.

McKnight played cornerback and free safety in high school. He was recruited as a DB before Pete Carroll turned him into a full-time RB at USC.

McKnight is not the first Jets player this year to cross over to the other side of the ball in practice. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie worked at wide receiver in training camp with the expectation that Gang Green would have a “Cro Package” for him. Cromartie, of course, declared himself the second-best wideout on the team in camp.

STAY-BOW
    Tim Tebow maintained that he is intent on staying a Jet regardless of his backup position with the team. Tebow took nine snaps and did not attempt a pass in the opener against the Bills, but he remained steadfast in his desire to build a foundation with the team.

“I love being here,” Tebow said Friday. “I’m thankful for it and want to be here for a long time.”

TIGHT FIT
    The Jets re-signed tight end Dedrick Epps from the Bears’ practice squad and placed him on the active roster in light of starting tight end Dustin Keller’s hamstring injury. Keller will not play Sunday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1160233

I didn't know Pete switched him to RB.
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing Josh Bush can line up as a CB this weekend in some formations..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing about McKnight, the one play he had at corner last year was against the Ravens; he blitzed Flacco and caused a turnover.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 09-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    But I thought we were stacked at CB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    by all means keep Powell in the third down role but I hope they start using McKnight more on first/second down, as a change-of-pace option to Greene.

his speed and catching ability gives the offense a different dimension.
    Agree...he's explosive in space. That's why last year he lead the league in KR avg. I also remember one game last year, where McKnight released from the backfield, and caught two intermediate passes, one was for around 25 yards. LBs can't cover Joe that far down the field.

IMO...McKnight has the best receiving hands among the backs. It's frustrating to see this player underutilized. But...it looks like the Jets don't have any confidence in Joe's decision making on runs...and his pass blocking.

It's a long season...so I hope McKnight will get some chances to fit into this offense...and explode!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    this doesnt say too much for the depth in the secondary.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might as well gt some sort of return out of his useless A$$.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Might as well gt some sort of return out of his useless A$$.
    Sure since having one of the best seasons by a returner in the last 30 seasons as a 4th round pick counts for nothing at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Sure since having one of the best seasons by a returner in the last 30 seasons as a 4th round pick counts for nothing at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If the numbers show that McKnight had one of the better seasons a kick returner has ever had last year, then those numbers should be thrown in the garbage.

He's no Devin Hester. He's no Dante Hall. He's no "White Shoes" Johnson.

He's a good kick returner with a knack for putting the ball on the ground.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bunch of racists dicks in this thread.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

If the numbers show that McKnight had one of the better seasons a kick returner has ever had last year, then those numbers should be thrown in the garbage.

He's no Devin Hester. He's no Dante Hall. He's no "White Shoes" Johnson.

He's a good kick returner with a knack for putting the ball on the ground.
    Most of Devin Hester's return TDs are punt returns. Hester averaged 21.9 yards on kickoffs last year. He averages 23.7 yards per return for his career. In the last 4 years, he's run back 5 punts, but only 1 kickoff. His career best kickoff return average is 26.4.

McKnight's return average was 31.6 last year, on 34 returns. I've gone back to 1996 without finding someone that has matched that number (min. 20 returns). The next place guy in 2011 was Randall Cobb, at 27.7 yards per return.

Okay. So McKnight was off the charts good last year. I really had no idea that he'd done such a great job returning. I need to see it for another year before I feel comfortable saying that it's anything more than 1 really good year. If he's up in the 27s this year, then he's a legitimately great return man. If he's up around 30 again, he's some kind of kick returning savant, because that would be completely unprecedented.