Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Judgement Day for Kyle Wilson vs. Steelers

Veteran

Judgement Day for Kyle Wilson vs. Steelers

The Steeler game will show once and for all whether or not the Jets will ever be able to rely on him as a #2 corner. The Steeler wideouts are a tall order for anyone. Realistically, Wilson's performance could be anywhere from getting badly torched to holding his own. Ben might even go after the nickel corner, Trufant or Lankster, by targeting E. Sanders early and often. Nevertheless, Wilson is going to get plenty of chances to show if he can be a bigger part of this team going forward.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I believe in him.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    The Steeler game will show once and for all whether or not the Jets will ever be able to rely on him as a #2 corner. The Steeler wideouts are a tall order for anyone. Realistically, Wilson's performance could be anywhere from getting badly torched to holding his own. Ben might even go after the nickel corner, Trufant or Lankster, by targeting E. Sanders early and often. Nevertheless, Wilson is going to get plenty of chances to show if he can be a bigger part of this team going forward.
    I wouldn't put it all on this one game.

No doubt, a very big test as, to how Kyle has developed up to this point. Still think Jets will have to do a little more up front Sunday on DL to limit Big Ben and reduce the pressure on the secondary.

Jets Insider VIP
    This is going to be a total disaster. Wilson stinks. Brace yourselfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Settle yourself.

Hall Of Fame
    Biggest game of his career. I think Rex was trying to motivate him when he said that in this case they will expect a little less. He was talking about when guys have to fill in for injured players that they expect them to play at the same level or better.

On further review, his INT against Buffalo was not as impressive as I initially thought is was. Saw it from a different angle on TV yesterday and the ball was well behind the intended receiver. Wilson was trailing as usual.

Year 3. He should be ready for the opportunity. His apologists will tell you that the slot is harder to defend than the outside b.c there is more space to defend and the receiver has more options. Not sure if I agree but if that is the case then I don't want to hear any excuses about it being his first game playing on the outside.

I am not expecting Revis-like performance. Or even a Cro-like performance. I would be happy if he doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and get beat like a drum. He is a first-round pick, he shouldn't look like the obvious weak link on Sunday.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Easy to say.

Wilson has shown improvement this year. However to help minimize the loss of Revis, the Jets must generate a pass rush so Roethlisberger is not able to sit back comfortable in the pocket and pass.

Also IF James Harrison AND Troy Polamalu do not play; that would more then neutralize the loss of Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    As it will most likely be up to the Offense, early scores are key.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    It's definitely going to be sink or swim for Kyle Wilson, personally, I am not sold on him. We'll see how he does on Sunday.

The D-Line can help Wilson & Cromartie both if they can generate some pressure and get some hits on Rothlesburger and not give him all day in the pocket to throw the ball.

I'd like to see more of Lankster and less of Trufant.

I think Lankster is the better corner and actually has a chance to make some plays.

Trufant has not shown much as a CB from what I have seen of him.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-15-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Rex will just play more zone. simple.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I wouldn't put it all on this one game.
    Why not? He was drafted in round 1 to eventually be a starting CB. 3 years into the league leaves no excuses. While a bad game doesn't end his career, it's certainly time to prove your worth. Big time players rise in big time games. How many chances will he get this year to be a starting CB? Now is his time to shine.

With Revis's contract year around the corner it sure would ease some worries if Wilson had a monster game and proved he belongs. This is a huge huge test for him personally.

Put up or shut up!

Heh Heh...

Jets Insider VIP
    My opinion....

The consequence of no Revis is simply that the Jets cannot employ the "island mentality" in this game. That means we should expect the safeties to be a little more focused on the WRs than they were in Week 1. Landry was an all out monster in Week 1 because he was largely focused on the QB and the exchange (if there was one) to the RB. That's how he got up so quickly and knocked Fred Jackson out of the game near the LOS. I think our Safeties will have to be much more supportive of coverage in this game. Revis rarely needs help and a S probably doesn't look over in his direction too much but I'd guess the Safeties will be more involved in coverages and Rex will employ more zone.

All League
    Kyle Wilson has a very tough job week in and week out as the Jets Nickelback. Playing in the middle of the field vs. quick slot WR's is probably more difficult than playing on the outside. His experiences there will have him ready for this challenge. He's a great athlete, and gives a great effort. He will be fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Or shutting his man down.

Nothing like going into this thinking that the best outcome is to hold his own.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Why not? He was drafted in round 1 to eventually be a starting CB. 3 years into the league leaves no excuses. While a bad game doesn't end his career, it's certainly time to prove your worth. Big time players rise in big time games. How many chances will he get this year to be a starting CB? Now is his time to shine.

With Revis's contract year around the corner it sure would ease some worries if Wilson had a monster game and proved he belongs. This is a huge huge test for him personally.

Put up or shut up!
    Because anyone can have a great or horrible game?

Because only internet GMs would ever draw conclusions off of one game? Hell there are nimrods here who draw conclusions off of one play.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Because anyone can have a great or horrible game?

Because only internet GMs would ever draw conclusions off of one game? Hell there are nimrods here who draw conclusions off of one play.
    +1