Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Judgement Day for Kyle Wilson vs. Steelers

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No matter how you want to slice it, a first round pick in Year 3 should not be the reason why we lose this game, if we lose. Again, not expecting him to be an All-Pro. But he shouldn't cost us the game. He is not a rookie. He should be able to handle himself.

Hopefully he makes the most of the opportunity b.c a solid performance by him can go a long way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Or shutting his man down.

Nothing like going into this thinking that the best outcome is to hold his own.
    So are you saying expectations should be high?

If that is the case then people should be disappointed if he plays poorly and not just chalk it up to "one game".

It works both ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's for sure. I really don't believe Kyle Wilson has ever been in a more important game from an evaluation standpoint? He's been in the league long enough now that he should start to show his value. Considering he was taken in the 1st round and was widely considered to be the best CB in the draft in 2010, he should be able to step up to the plate.

I think everyone knows we are not talking about another Revis here. Wilson falls under that category of CB's which is inclusive of "the rest". In other words, you've got Revis at the very top with no real competition or argument that he is the best. Some might argue that Nmamdi Asomugha should be up close to Revis. I flatly disagree.

Then, you have the best of the rest. That includes players like Kyle Wilson among others.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because anyone can have a great or horrible game?

Because only internet GMs would ever draw conclusions off of one game? Hell there are nimrods here who draw conclusions off of one play.
    That's true, but this still is the classic "time to shine" game. Its a good team with legitimate WR threats, its a regular season game, its a road game against a conference opponent, and honestly, this will be his first test starting at the outside corner in 3 years with the Jets I believe (at least the first time he can be legitimately thought of as NFL groomed and ready).

Since he was a 1st rounder, there are some expectations. If he has a bad game I'm not going to want to cut the kid, but it certainly won't bode well for him. I'm sorry but 3 years preparation against a big opponent is the perfect situation for him, he's lucky we haven't been asking much MUCH more out of him considering that if he were drafted at the same spot on a different team, he probably would have been thrown to the wolves week one of his rookie year like Revis was (starting #1 corner).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I won't be surprised if Wilson has a solid game.

Bottom line, Jets need to control the clock, keep the Steelers offense off the field to minimize Revis' absence.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has started for Revis in the past and done well,
    and that was as a rookie, he just didn't take to the
    his role as a nickel. Remember the first game of
    his career ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Because only internet GMs would ever draw conclusions off of one game? Hell there are nimrods here who draw conclusions off of one play.
    The Jets are the only team in the league, that routinely takes an opponent's #1 WR out of the game...with very low receiving yardage, and no TDs. No other team has an Island like Revis. That's why Rex considers Darelle the best defensive player in the game.

Get used to the reality of having a secondary...sans Revis...that will lose a few more battles, then we've been accostumed to seeing on a weekly basis. So I'm not concerned if Wilson gets toasted for a TD. I think he'll make some good plays too. Because the front seven D should be capable of having a good game.

With Sione playing...run defense should be solid. And the Steelers OL is a mess. If Jets can put the Steelers in 2nd-3rd down long situations...then the Jets DL and blitz packages, need to exploit this. And get after Rothlisberger. Sacks...hits...hurries. Maybe get a strip sack turnover. And at least make Big Ben throw it away, or throw it sooner then he wants. So that Wilson and the rest of the secondary, can make some plays on the ball. Get a couple of INTs.

As we saw last week against the Bills...Jets have explosive weapons on offense too. I don't expect the Jets to light up the scoreboard. But Sanchez does need to run an efficient offense to complement the D.

If the Jets can get consistent pressure on Rothlisberger...play mistake free on offense...and win the turnover battle...they can pull out a win.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    That's for sure. I really don't believe Kyle Wilson has ever been in a more important game from an evaluation standpoint? He's been in the league long enough now that he should start to show his value. Considering he was taken in the 1st round and was widely considered to be the best CB in the draft in 2010, he should be able to step up to the plate.

I think everyone knows we are not talking about another Revis here. Wilson falls under that category of CB's which is inclusive of "the rest". In other words, you've got Revis at the very top with no real competition or argument that he is the best. Some might argue that Nmamdi Asomugha should be up close to Revis. I flatly disagree.

Then, you have the best of the rest. That includes players like Kyle Wilson among others.
    Widely considered?

Rex and Rob Ryan certainly thought he was the best, especially with the emphasis they place on being able to play press man coverage.

Joe Haden, even with the concerns about his 40 time at the combine, was the #1 corner on about 70% of draft boards, I would guess. And a few teams took other corners ahead of Wilson, so he couldn't have been higher than 3rd on either of their boards.

I think Wilson is an above-average 3rd corner. Look around the league. We have multiple guys throwing for 5,000 yards in a season. The Jets defend the pass as well as anyone, and run a system that it incredibly demanding of its corners. Yeah, he gets picked on by the really good QBs, but so does every other 3rd corner in the league, along with a number of 2nd corners, and even some lead corners.

Wilson suffers for having failed to live up to the expectations of many Jets fans. He seems to be the new Bryan Thomas.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they are going to use Tufant I hope Pittsburgh has short recievers:

Hey mister! Give us our ball back and go play with people your own age!
    Last edited by JetsNeedNewton; 09-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Ummmmm this 100%

Why do folks out here have unrealistic expectations about Jet players...

No Wilson might get burned on a play against the Steelers, it could happen, just like it does to EVERY OTHER CB in the NFL not named REVIS; its INSANE!!!!

Good Grief!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 09-15-2012 at 11:39 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Ummmmm this 100%

No Wilson might get burned on a play against the Steelers, it could happen, just like it does to EVERY OTHER CB in the NFL not named REVIS; its INSANE!!!!

Good Grief!!!
    Amen brother

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Ummmmm this 100%

Good Grief!!!
    Where did anyone say what Wilson stats should be or that if Wilson gets burned its a horrible day?

Nobody put any expectations on Wilson except for those(i'm one of them) saying this is his time to shine. This is a game where he can really prove his worth. I even stated that should he have a bad game it's not the end all but its put up time for a former #1 pick.

At some point (3 years) a 1st round pick should be able to start a game and make an impact.

Now of course he could get burned. But there are 50 other plays in the same game where he can make up for it.

Nobody in this thread said if he stinks up the joint he sucks, he's cut or a bust. But the reality is, this is a huge game for him to prove he belongs as a starting CB not a nickle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What were Wilson's numbers like the last few times Revis was out and Wilson had to play on the outside?

I saw a bit of Lanskter last week and in PS - he looked fairly capable.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Wilson has shown improvement this year. However to help minimize the loss of Revis, the Jets must generate a pass rush so Roethlisberger is not able to sit back comfortable in the pocket and pass.

Based on preseason and 1 game? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Also IF James Harrison AND Troy Polamalu do not play; that would more then neutralize the loss of Revis.

It doesn't neutralize the loss of Revis because all 3 of those players play defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson has already proven he can be a viable starter in this league so I'm not sure how this is a big game for him. Yeah he is no Cro or Revis but one game isn't going to change that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy was just at some barber in piscataway and he saw Wilson. He asked him to autograph something for my kid and he was super happy to do it even personalized it and sent him a nice message. Then I texted my buddy to tell him to kick Tebow in the balls and he was laughing about it. So with all that being said I am rooting for him big time and hope he shows his worth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    This is going to be a total disaster. Wilson stinks. Brace yourselfs.
    Gee what a surprise coming from you.

Do you have any clue just how useless you are?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lankster when healthy was impressive in the preseason - the only thing going against him is his height at 5'9"

How well Wilson plays tomorrow may be a factor in the Revis negotiations this coming off-season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Lankster when healthy was impressive in the preseason - the only thing going against him is his height at 5'9"

How well Wilson plays tomorrow may be a factor in the Revis negotiations this coming off-season.
    Even if Wilson plays well, I don't think it will have a bearing on the Revis negotiations. In 2010, the Jets were 3-0 in games Revis missed because of a hamstring injury.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Where did anyone say what Wilson stats should be or that if Wilson gets burned its a horrible day?

Nobody put any expectations on Wilson except for those(i'm one of them) saying this is his time to shine. This is a game where he can really prove his worth. I even stated that should he have a bad game it's not the end all but its put up time for a former #1 pick.

At some point (3 years) a 1st round pick should be able to start a game and make an impact.

Now of course he could get burned. But there are 50 other plays in the same game where he can make up for it.

Nobody in this thread said if he stinks up the joint he sucks, he's cut or a bust. But the reality is, this is a huge game for him to prove he belongs as a starting CB not a nickle.
    Oh I must have misunderstood all these post out here that said or implied this was a make a break game for Wilson as if his first time out as a starting CB should define who he is as a player indeed that was the tenor of the OP!!!

Come on man you be a better poster dan dat!!!!

Good Grief!!!