Thread: Shonn Greene

All League

Shonn Greene

Stepfan Taylor just pulled off a series of moves that Shonn Greene could only dream of doing--- that was an awesome run to just tie the game against USC.

I hope the Jets
    a) Gradually give more and more work to Powell
    b) Give strong considering to drafting an RB in the 2nd round of next years draft

I'd like to see Joe in there more often. Green annoys me because he's a (supposed) power runner, but he plays with absolutely no power. He goes down as soon as a defender breathes on him.

is a good backup not a starter. We need to acquire a starting RB our backs are all backups or lower tier starters...

Greene is not horrible ... Problem is that he is a JAG at a premium position. We need someone special there ... Not sure if he's on the roster right now.

I think you will see Powell's carries increase as the season goes on. McKnight will be sprinkled in for some change of pace quickness.

Greene will get his share but he's just not a special back in any way.

This is greene's last yr of his rookie deal. Unless he has a monster yr I don't see him back. I see the team drafting a rb to replace him next yr

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'd like to see Joe in there more often. Green annoys me because he's a (supposed) power runner, but he plays with absolutely no power. He goes down as soon as a defender breathes on him.
    The time for Greene to do well is in the 4th quarter when the defense is tired. he then becomes a force to be reckoned with. IMO its not enough. They should play Powell and mcKnight. Let them tire the defense since thay are faster and more elusive. Then bring in the battering ram.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    The time for Greene to do well is in the 4th quarter when the defense is tired. he then becomes a force to be reckoned with. IMO its not enough. They should play Powell and mcKnight. Let them tire the defense since thay are faster and more elusive. Then bring in the battering ram.
    The defense won't be very tired with McKnight and Powell chipping away at them. The idea of a power back/speed back rotation is you use the power guy to wear down the defense, and the speed guy comes in and pops a big run. Believe it or not, Greene was the speed guy when it was him and TJ, and he came in and abused tired D's. The problem with our running game is that when our speed RBs come in, they average less ypc than Greene does.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    The defense won't be very tired with McKnight and Powell chipping away at them. The idea of a power back/speed back rotation is you use the power guy to wear down the defense, and the speed guy comes in and pops a big run. Believe it or not, Greene was the speed guy when it was him and TJ, and he came in and abused tired D's. The problem with our running game is that when our speed RBs come in, they average less ypc than Greene does.
    Defenses will be tired in the 4th quarter, even if we don't feature a power back in quarters 1-3. I think defensive players get worn out from being out on the field a lot by the 4th, it's not only from taking hits from Greene. You can run the ball effectively with Powell, McKnight, Tebow and Greene through quarters 1-3, and then still take advantage of Greene's physical running style in the 4th quarter when te defenses is more tired.

Also, to say Greene isn't a power back is absurd. If you watch his runs, he is putting a big hit on the tackler on almost every play. I still don't think he should be a feature back.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Defenses will be tired in the 4th quarter, even if we don't feature a power back in quarters 1-3. I think defensive players get worn out from being out on the field a lot by the 4th, it's not only from taking hits from Greene. You can run the ball effectively with Powell, McKnight, Tebow and Greene through quarters 1-3, and then still take advantage of Greene's physical running style in the 4th quarter when te defenses is more tired.

Also, to say Greene isn't a power back is absurd. If you watch his runs, he is putting a big hit on the tackler on almost every play. I still don't think he should be a feature back.
    I didn't mean Greene isn't a power back, I just meant he was used as the speed back in the rotation of him and Jones. He was the one brought in after TJ and broke big runs against tired D's. In role only, not style.

I agree that using Powell and McKnight SOME earlier in the game would be beneficial to the run game and Greene in the 4th quarter. I disagree with those saying to useMcKnight and Powell as the main guys and then bringing in Greene only in the 4th quarter.

I also slightly disagree that a defense would be just as worn down in the 4th quarter if McKnight and Powell were the main guys. Yes, a defense will be tired regardless in the 4th quarter, but tackling Greene 25 times a game takes a different toll physically and mentally than tackling McKnight or Powell.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    GREENE also fumbles when a defender breathes on him.

BTW..like the new avatar.

All Pro
    The quicker we move on from the Shonn Greene era, the better. Completely underwhelming in basically all qualities you look for in a good running back.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    ...needs to be replaced as soon as possible.

He's a solid inside runner but offers virtually no big play ability and is totally useless as a receiver out of the backfield.

A bigtime RB would help put this offense over the top and alleviate a ton of the pressure on Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Stepfan Taylor just pulled off a series of moves that Shonn Greene could only dream of doing--- that was an awesome run to just tie the game against USC.

I hope the Jets
    a) Gradually give more and more work to Powell
    b) Give strong considering to drafting an RB in the 2nd round of next years draft
    That entire drive was crazy...I'm so happy Barkley got beat. Can't stand him for whatever reason. Between UConn and ND winning, and Barkley losing, it was an awesome college football week.

Anyway, I don't understand why McKnight isn't used more in the screen game. Obviously it falls on the OC, and we all know about schotty...and last week, we blew them out early, so Sparano didn't really have a chance to implement it.

Hopefully this week if Shonn is struggling, Sparano understands that teams like the eagles and pats have had great success in games like this with ferocious defenses, on the basis that their run game wasn't working...so they used short passes as extensions of the run game.

Shonn is a very solid fourth quarter back. The guy simply gets it done against tired Ds. But that's not gonna help us in the first 75% of the game.