Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Shark notes...keys to...

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    6. Keep the ball away from Tebow if a called play involves the forward pass

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    The key to beating the Steelers is to out-tough them. Beat them in the trenches! Keep them guessing about the offense. The simplistic yawns that say keep it from Tebow are full of themselves! We must DO WHATEVER works! Never tip your hand when facing a tough-minded team. We can beat this team. If it takes all 53 guys to do it, so be it! GO JETS!

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Couldn't disagree more with this post. You don't beat the Steelers by running the ball. You have to spread them out and throw the ball. You pass to set up the run. Their talent is in stopping the run and not the pass. Haven't you guys seen what the Ravens do against the Steelers? Pats too?
    Other than what a bunch of us passionate fans think....this weeks game plan will tell us about Sparano. I don't pretend to know...but a balanced approach that keeps the JETS O on the field sounds solid. LET Sparano worry about it.

    Lack of Keller and Shone fumble s concerns me for some ball control game plan.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Come on...it was funny. he can be , well you know. But it was funny.

  5. #25
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    34,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    You realize the weakest part of the Steelers' defense is the secondary, right?
    This

    +

    Good September weather in Pitt

    +

    Sanchez looking like a thrower in Week 1

    =

    Let's pass the snot outta the ball!

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just for the record, I definitely think the passing game is a very important part of the game today. However, I think if we are in 4 wide all game and throw 45 times, we get beat and we get beat soundly.

    Ask Green Bay and their weak secondary if the Bears did them a favor by abandoning the run and only tried attacking through the air.

    Denver threw 26 times last week. Balanced offense kept the Defense honest and kept them from teeing off on Peyton. We need a balanced offense today, just like last week.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Just for the record, I definitely think the passing game is a very important part of the game today. However, I think if we are in 4 wide all game and throw 45 times, we get beat and we get beat soundly.

    Ask Green Bay and their weak secondary if the Bears did them a favor by abandoning the run and only tried attacking through the air.

    Denver threw 26 times last week. Balanced offense kept the Defense honest and kept them from teeing off on Peyton. We need a balanced offense today, just like last week.
    Denver called 30 passes and 23 runs (2 Manning scrambles, 2 kneel downs, and 2 sacks). And if you want to take an even closer look:


    TD Drive 1

    7 passes, 5 runs; Pass plays on 5/6 1st downs


    TD Drive 2

    2 passes, 0 runs; this is really just the 71 yard TD by Thomas, I don't really count this drive


    TD Drive 3

    7 passes, 3 runs; Pass plays on 4/5 1st downs


    FG drive, 7:50 left in the game at start of drive, Kill the Clock

    Run
    Run
    Run
    Run
    Run
    Pass
    Run
    Run
    Run
    Pass
    Pass
    FG

    There are 8 of the 23 called runs right there, on one drive; late in the game, with the lead, trying to play keep away.


    So, before that drive: 27 pass plays, 13 run plays (2 kneel downs on the final "drive")



    How do you beat the Steelers?

    KEEP THEIR BASE PERSONNEL OFF THE FIELD
    Last edited by JB1089; 09-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Denver called 30 passes and 23 runs (2 Manning scrambles, 2 kneel downs, and 2 sacks). And if you want to take an even closer look:


    TD Drive 1

    7 passes, 5 runs; Pass plays on 5/6 1st downs


    TD Drive 2

    2 passes, 0 runs; this is really just the 71 yard TD by Thomas, I don't really count this drive


    TD Drive 3

    7 passes, 3 runs; Pass plays on 4/5 1st downs


    FG drive, 7:50 left in the game at start of drive, Kill the Clock

    Run
    Run
    Run
    Run
    Run
    Pass
    Run
    Run
    Run
    Pass
    Pass
    FG

    There are 8 of the 23 called runs right there, on one drive; late in the game, with the lead, trying to play keep away.


    So, before that drive: 27 pass plays, 13 run plays (2 kneel downs on the final "drive")



    How do you beat the Steelers?

    KEEP THEIR BASE PERSONNEL OFF THE FIELD
    Those are good stats, but with Polamalu and Harrison out, I will not change my opinion one bit. If we are throwing 40+ times today, we are going to get beat.

    I'm a big Sanchez supporter, always have been, and I was very encouraged by our WR's and OL last week, but I'm not convinced that we are equipped to beat a team throwing the ball that many times, regardless of how suspect their Secondary is. We've fallen into that trap before(Patriots), and we just aren't succesful when we wing it all over the field.

    Will the running game be as succesful as the passing game? Most likely not, but if we totally abandon the running game, the passing game will suffer.

    The Bears thought the same thing going into Thursday night, we'll work their weak secondary and pick them apart. GB blitzed the hell out of them and Cutler was dropped 7 or 8 times probably. Chicago's passing offense did nothing until the second half when they started working in the run. I don't care how suspect a defensive unit is in a certain area, if you are one dimensional on offense, it's a hell of a lot easier to beat you.

    Again, I'm not saying they need to run 50 times to be sucessful. I don't want that either. I'm not even saying it has to be 50/50. But if it's 80/20 pass or 70/30, we'll be in trouble. That's just my opinion, I may be wrong, and if I am, I'll be very happy, but still don't think our offense is equipped to throw the ball 40 times a game. That doesn't mean they can't be very effective in the passing game though.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Those are good stats, but with Polamalu and Harrison out, I will not change my opinion one bit. If we are throwing 40+ times today, we are going to get beat.

    I'm a big Sanchez supporter, always have been, and I was very encouraged by our WR's and OL last week, but I'm not convinced that we are equipped to beat a team throwing the ball that many times, regardless of how suspect their Secondary is. We've fallen into that trap before(Patriots), and we just aren't succesful when we wing it all over the field.

    Will the running game be as succesful as the passing game? Most likely not, but if we totally abandon the running game, the passing game will suffer.

    The Bears thought the same thing going into Thursday night, we'll work their weak secondary and pick them apart. GB blitzed the hell out of them and Cutler was dropped 7 or 8 times probably. Chicago's passing offense did nothing until the second half when they started working in the run. I don't care how suspect a defensive unit is in a certain area, if you are one dimensional on offense, it's a hell of a lot easier to beat you.

    Again, I'm not saying they need to run 50 times to be sucessful. I don't want that either. I'm not even saying it has to be 50/50. But if it's 80/20 pass or 70/30, we'll be in trouble. That's just my opinion, I may be wrong, and if I am, I'll be very happy, but still don't think our offense is equipped to throw the ball 40 times a game. That doesn't mean they can't be very effective in the passing game though.
    I'm not talking about a general philosophy.

    I am talking specifically about the Pittsburgh Steelers. Talking about any other team is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

    I don't want to play this way against the Patriots, the Packers, the Bears, or any other team in the NFL.

    Only the Steelers.

    Those other teams don't put their base personnel on the field for 80% of the snaps. That's what the Steeler will do unless you force them out of it. They are unlike any other team in the league in this way.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    He can't throw, mate. Deal with it.

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,538
    Post Thanks / Like

  12. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Protection was decent. WR's dropped balls all over

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,996
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Wat.
    LOL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us