Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Way to End the Half

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Max protect and take a few shots downfield on the 35 yard line.......

What a joke to run the clock out

Not gunna win with this mindset Rex, get a clue
    This **** has been going on for 11 years since Herman Edwards got here, and apparently it's never going to change. They fumbled the ball 2 years ago in Pittsburgh on a last drive before the half, therefore apparently that means you can never try for points before a half ever again, at least according to Phil Simms. In fact, why did the Jets bother to play the second half? Didn't they remember that they fumbled a ball in Pittsburgh 2 years earlier? Why ever play offense, especially when you run the risk of turning the ball over?

New England would've taken 1 minute and two timeouts and jammed the ball up the other team's ass for a touchdown, or at least they would've sure as hell tried to. Rex and company walk off the field and never even SNIFF a point for the rest of the game. I was screaming about it at the time, but in the end, why bother? They're as hopeless as ever as coaches go, particularly when it comes to TRYING TO SCORE POINTS WITH ANY OPPORTUNITY YOU HAVE. This is never going to change with the Jets, why would anybody ever go for points with a minute and 2 timeouts left in the first half? Anyone remember New England at home last year when Sanchez called a timeout on 3rd down at the Patriots 2 with 18 seconds left on the playclock? Remember what New England did with that opportunity? It's a joke.

in the jets/steelers playoff game, sanchez was strip sacked b/c brick got burned before the half and the steelers got that last td that put them up 24-0. i'm sure rex was thinking about that play before the half. there's nothing wrong with what the jets did. going into halftime down 13-10 in pittsburgh and getting the ball in the 2nd half is fine. they just made no adjustments at halftime that were helpful.

And for the record, no matter how much we whine and complain about the same thing for 11+ years running, it doesn't matter. The coaching staff is just as clueless on that particular situation this year as it has been for the previous 11, so just concede the fact that the Jets will never try for points at the end of a half. Remember, they fumbled in Pittsburgh 2 years ago!!!!!

All Pro
    So what's the title of the thread if Sanchez throws an INT or Ike Taylor gets a strip-sack TD? Not like we were in Pitt's territory. Go into the half down 3 and take the ball to start the 3rd....

The problem was we didn't do anything on the opening drive in the 3rd....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    So what's the title of the thread if Sanchez throws an INT or Ike Taylor gets a strip-sack TD? Not like we were in Pitt's territory. Go into the half down 3 and take the ball to start the 3rd....

That's pretty much how I felt. I didn't have a big problem with it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I cannot think of a single good team that would have settled there for not turning the ball over as we did. 52 seconds and two timeouts to get 30-35 yards? That is basically two first downs.

What this decision said to the Steelers and to the Jets players was that we were scared. Scared of the bad things that could happen and we had no faith in our offense to not turn the ball over and no faith in our defense to hold them scoreless if we did. We could have gone into half time tied or up by four instead we chickened out. Both teams had the entire halftime break to think about that.

Gutless.

Tone setting.
    Excellent post.

There is no question in my mind this decision gave the Steelers the mental advantage heading into the second half.

The title of the thread would be, the Jets the team still sucks, but at least they tried to put themselves in a position to maybe end up having a chance to win the game. How did things work out as they were? They sure got real close to scoring a lot of points in that second half that they couldn't wait to give up a precious offensive series in the first half in order to start, hah?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Our defense is a joke. Has to be the worst defense at stopping go ahead drives at the end of half/game

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    What do you mean? Rex said this was the best team he has coached yet and that he is the best defensive mind! With all that going for us, you have the "noive " to complain? LOL

All Pro
    Rex would rather do his talking with his mouth rather than his decisions on the football field.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    in the jets/steelers playoff game, sanchez was strip sacked b/c brick got burned before the half and the steelers got that last td that put them up 24-0. i'm sure rex was thinking about that play before the half. there's nothing wrong with what the jets did. going into halftime down 13-10 in pittsburgh and getting the ball in the 2nd half is fine. they just made no adjustments at halftime that were helpful.
    But, but , this is the best team REX has coached yet! Coupled with the fact that REX is the self-described best defensive mind in the NFL, there was no way our Sanchez would ever throw an INT in that situation, is there? And if by chance he did, our great defense coached by such a great defensive mind , would surely stop them dead in their tracks! no problemo!

Adjustments? What is wrong with you? REX is a great defensive mind, not a chiropractor!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    The title of the thread would be, the Jets the team still sucks, but at least they tried to put themselves in a position to maybe end up having a chance to win the game. How did things work out as they were? They sure got real close to scoring a lot of points in that second half that they couldn't wait to give up a precious offensive series in the first half in order to start, hah?
    this whole post is made in hindsight....

let something bad have happened while we were deep in Pitt's territory mind you....and there would have been multiple threads b*tching about that as well...

All Pro
    This tells me all i need to know about what the Jets coaching staff thinks about their Starting QB.

I thought it was disgusting what this offense did when they got the ball back at the end of the 1st half.

I cannot think of a single good team that would have settled there for not turning the ball over as we did. 52 seconds and two timeouts to get 30-35 yards? That is basically two first downs.

What this decision said to the Steelers and to the Jets players was that we were scared. Scared of the bad things that could happen and we had no faith in our offense to not turn the ball over and no faith in our defense to hold them scoreless if we did. We could have gone into half time tied or up by four instead we chickened out. Both teams had the entire halftime break to think about that.

Gutless.

Tone setting.
    Exactly.

Really sickening the more I think about it.......I can take getting beat physically (which we did), but don't play scared man. This bothers me more than anything from yesterday

There is no title.......sh1t happens

Rather go down fighting and have a little confidence in your offense.......At that point we were down 3 and could have gained some momentum going into halftime

Instead, we bowed down to Pittsburgh and basically let them know that we're scared of them

Nice to see that after the cultists attacked, that people are actually having a civil discussion about the coaching. Thank you my friends.

It was a somewhat conservative call, but one that is made by most coaches rather routinely. You are on the road, played pretty well overall, are down by 3 going into the locker room and you get the ball first to start the next half.

I do think Rex was scared of a turnover there and had a flashback to the AFC Champ game. I also think he overrates our defense and thought with some halftime adjustments, their O wasn't going to score in the 2nd half....we could win the game 16-13.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Detroit pretty much did the same thing last night and they have a high power attack.

You need to look at the situation. We had the lead for almost the entire first half. We let it slip away on the pass on Cro in the endzone. The last thing we needed was another mistake and fall into a bigger hole on the road right before the half. The fact we were getting the ball back as well made this the correct call IMO. I had no problem with it given how things were playing out.

Gutless.

Tone setting.
    Gutless Rex Ryan
    Gutless Toney Sporeno

I'm done watching Jet games for awhile

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Jet Fan View Post
    Gutless Rex Ryan
    Gutless Toney Sporeno

I'm done watching Jet games for awhile
    It's Toeknee Sporono.