Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ridiculous Way to End the Half

Lets see--

1. 58 seconds left
    2. Starting on your own 31
    3. Two time outs
    4. What--40 yards to go for field goal
    5. Played decent offense in first half

There are no excuses for not spreading it and going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Have to agree... let Hill, Schillens and whoever run fly routes and launch one downfield..
    I would have loved to see this. The CS practically wilted mentally from the Steelers challenge, capitulated and lacked cojones.

The receivers also have to show more pride and be taken to task for their anemic efforts

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Lets see--

1. 58 seconds left
    3. Two time outs

Aside from the fact that you are playing on the road, it's a tight game, and sometimes, **** happens. You know, fumbled snap. Tipped ball at the line. Tipped ball by a receiver. Receiver falls down. Stripped ball by the defense. Yada, yada, yada.

At that point, we had played them close on their home field. Why take the risk of giving them a huge momentum boost going into the locker room ?

Veteran
    I understood the logic explained by Phil Simms why we didn't go for it. At the time I thought it was still the wrong decision. To me to play risk adverse football against the Pittsburgh Steelers is inviting failure.

Sure we could have thrown an interception and be down another seven points. The reality is that the Steelers clearly dominated both sides of the ball. Unless we take chances and have a little luck, we were going down anyway.

Roethlisberger has proven that he can elude the Jets front seven time and time again. Without Darelle Revis in the secondary we needed to throw the ball to keep up with their scoring; complicating matters, their run defense is too stout. It was clear, the Steelers would score points - this in turns means that we needed to take some chances on offense and special teams.

Too much of the offense was going through Holmes, it all became very predictable with the team becoming one dimensional.
    Last edited by Gangrene; 09-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.

I would have had a bigger problem with it if we weren't going to get the ball back to start the 2nd half. Not the decision I would have made, but I'm not going to kill Rex for it.

People need to understand that Rex always wants to shorten the game. It's his philosophy.

It's also the kind of conservative mindset that has a negative impact on an offense. It's what Steve Young was trying to Rex in the offseason. Ross Tucker, who I don't always agree with, but speaks with the experience of a former lineman, said that it demoralizes an offense when you get sent back onto the field with a minute left in the half and are told to sit on the ball. He said everyone on the offense knows the coaching staff has no faith in you when that happens.

Rex doesn't seem to agree with or understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I would have had a bigger problem with it if we weren't going to get the ball back to start the 2nd half. Not the decision I would have made, but I'm not going to kill Rex for it.

People need to understand that Rex always wants to shorten the game. It's his philosophy.

It's also the kind of conservative mindset that has a negative impact on an offense. It's what Steve Young was trying to Rex in the offseason. Ross Tucker, who I don't always agree with, but speaks with the experience of a former lineman, said that it demoralizes an offense when you get sent back onto the field with a minute left in the half and are told to sit on the ball. He said everyone on the offense knows the coaching staff has no faith in you when that happens.

Rex doesn't seem to agree with or understand that.
    This was all Sparano,he constantly did this in Miami..

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I understood the logic explained by Phil Simms why we didn't go for it. At the time I thought it was still the wrong decision. To me to play risk adverse football against the Pittsburgh Steelers is inviting failure.

Sure we could have thrown an interception and be down another seven points. The reality is that the Steelers clearly dominated both sides of the ball. Unless we take chances and have a little luck, we were going down anyway.

Roethlisberger has proven that he can elude the Jets front seven time and time again. Without Darelle Revis in the secondary we needed to throw the ball to keep up with their scoring; complicating matters, their run defense is too stout. It was clear, the Steelers would score points - this in turns means that we needed to take some chances on offense and special teams.

Too much of the offense was going through Holmes, it all became very predictable with the team becoming one dimensional.
    This is the Truth. Jets have to be willing to do what it takes to win, which does involve an element of risk like everything in life. They need to play to win, unfortunately Holmes shat the bed. Taking the shots downfield with Schillens and Hill at least gives you a fighting chance to re-establish ascendancy heading into the half.

Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    This was all Sparano,he constantly did this in Miami..
    That's not the coordinator's call. Ever.

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Rex said that he met with Sparano and Sanchez with 58 seconds left in second half. If they broke the first run they'd have tried to score.

If we broke the first run?

We never break any long runs unless it's from the Wildcat. The last Jet with a 35+ yard run was Brad Smith. This is going to lead me to another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I cannot think of a single good team that would have settled there for not turning the ball over as we did. 52 seconds and two timeouts to get 30-35 yards? That is basically two first downs.

What this decision said to the Steelers and to the Jets players was that we were scared. Scared of the bad things that could happen and we had no faith in our offense to not turn the ball over and no faith in our defense to hold them scoreless if we did. We could have gone into half time tied or up by four instead we chickened out. Both teams had the entire halftime break to think about that.

Gutless.

Tone setting.

100% correct. You simply cannot be afraid to fail. If you do then you will. And they did.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Lets see--

1. 58 seconds left
    3. Two time outs

No matter you slice it, folding the tent in that position after just giving up the lead speaks to a lack of confidence - not only in your offense, but your defense.

Assuming the Jets tried and went three and out and only ate up about 15 seconds and punted back to Pittsburgh - are you that frightened that your vaunted defense - the best you've had here - can't stop Pittsburgh from scoring again before the half?

Truly sad.

I was pissed. I screamed at my TV the entire time, lol. We were only down by 3, so why not at least get near fg position? Folk has already shown he can kick long (50+ yarder in preseason), so why not at least ATTEMPT to tie it up?

Rex coached like a pairless idiot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I cannot think of a single good team that would have settled there for not turning the ball over as we did. 52 seconds and two timeouts to get 30-35 yards? That is basically two first downs.

What this decision said to the Steelers and to the Jets players was that we were scared. Scared of the bad things that could happen and we had no faith in our offense to not turn the ball over and no faith in our defense to hold them scoreless if we did. We could have gone into half time tied or up by four instead we chickened out. Both teams had the entire halftime break to think about that.

Gutless.

Tone setting.

This 100%

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    this whole post is made in hindsight....

let something bad have happened while we were deep in Pitt's territory mind you....and there would have been multiple threads b*tching about that as well...
    Wrong a whole host of us complained about it while it was happening DURING the game!!!

Good Grief

Quote Originally Posted by ricard78 View Post
    You obviously didn't watch the pittsburgh game last season where we tried to push the ball in the last minute of the half.
    You obviously didn't see the Jets first possession of the game where we marched down the field and had the defense on their heels and scored a TD.

If they were going to run the clock out, why not throw Tebow out there to run the spread/wildcat? It's basically the same, run the clock out decision, but has a way higher chance to break one.

All Pro
    "if we broke the 1st run"

LOL

The running game is BROKEN.

Maybe they finally park Greene's ass on the bench where it belongs until the 4th quarter of a game they're winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    It was a somewhat conservative call, but one that is made by most coaches rather routinely. You are on the road, played pretty well overall, are down by 3 going into the locker room and you get the ball first to start the next half.
    Teams don't actually do it very often from the 32. From inside your own 10, sure I can buy it. Even inside your own 20 but you're one medium sized play or two first downs from being in FG range.

possessions are going to be at a minimum in this game, especially the way Pitt had controlled TOP - you needed to score when you could.

1:00 and two TO's is an eternity in the NFL...

Honestly when we did this, my first thought was "wow, Rex thinks we can win this game like 16-13." Rex always assumes his D is going to shut down the other team. He was probably banking on a couple adjustments and holding the Steelers to no more than a FG or so in the 2nd half, maybe forcing a turnover or 2. Anyone watching the game from their living room knew that would not be the case. The worst case I had for the Steelers going into half was them ending the game with 23 points. Worst case. That meant the Jets needed 2 TDs or a TD and 2 FGs. Possessions are important and the Steelers were going to force at least 1 or 2 three and outs from us. Rex threw one away. And he ate 2 timeouts. They don't carry over to the 2nd half.