Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Thread: Ridiculous Way to End the Half

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Max protect and take a few shots downfield on the 35 yard line.......

    What a joke to run the clock out

    Not gunna win with this mindset Rex, get a clue
    This **** has been going on for 11 years since Herman Edwards got here, and apparently it's never going to change. They fumbled the ball 2 years ago in Pittsburgh on a last drive before the half, therefore apparently that means you can never try for points before a half ever again, at least according to Phil Simms. In fact, why did the Jets bother to play the second half? Didn't they remember that they fumbled a ball in Pittsburgh 2 years earlier? Why ever play offense, especially when you run the risk of turning the ball over?

    New England would've taken 1 minute and two timeouts and jammed the ball up the other team's ass for a touchdown, or at least they would've sure as hell tried to. Rex and company walk off the field and never even SNIFF a point for the rest of the game. I was screaming about it at the time, but in the end, why bother? They're as hopeless as ever as coaches go, particularly when it comes to TRYING TO SCORE POINTS WITH ANY OPPORTUNITY YOU HAVE. This is never going to change with the Jets, why would anybody ever go for points with a minute and 2 timeouts left in the first half? Anyone remember New England at home last year when Sanchez called a timeout on 3rd down at the Patriots 2 with 18 seconds left on the playclock? Remember what New England did with that opportunity? It's a joke.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,508
    Post Thanks / Like
    in the jets/steelers playoff game, sanchez was strip sacked b/c brick got burned before the half and the steelers got that last td that put them up 24-0. i'm sure rex was thinking about that play before the half. there's nothing wrong with what the jets did. going into halftime down 13-10 in pittsburgh and getting the ball in the 2nd half is fine. they just made no adjustments at halftime that were helpful.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    And for the record, no matter how much we whine and complain about the same thing for 11+ years running, it doesn't matter. The coaching staff is just as clueless on that particular situation this year as it has been for the previous 11, so just concede the fact that the Jets will never try for points at the end of a half. Remember, they fumbled in Pittsburgh 2 years ago!!!!!

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what's the title of the thread if Sanchez throws an INT or Ike Taylor gets a strip-sack TD? Not like we were in Pitt's territory. Go into the half down 3 and take the ball to start the 3rd....

    The problem was we didn't do anything on the opening drive in the 3rd....

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    So what's the title of the thread if Sanchez throws an INT or Ike Taylor gets a strip-sack TD? Not like we were in Pitt's territory. Go into the half down 3 and take the ball to start the 3rd....

    The problem was we didn't do anything on the opening drive in the 3rd....
    That's pretty much how I felt. I didn't have a big problem with it.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I cannot think of a single good team that would have settled there for not turning the ball over as we did. 52 seconds and two timeouts to get 30-35 yards? That is basically two first downs.

    What this decision said to the Steelers and to the Jets players was that we were scared. Scared of the bad things that could happen and we had no faith in our offense to not turn the ball over and no faith in our defense to hold them scoreless if we did. We could have gone into half time tied or up by four instead we chickened out. Both teams had the entire halftime break to think about that.

    Gutless.

    Tone setting.
    Excellent post.

    There is no question in my mind this decision gave the Steelers the mental advantage heading into the second half.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,923
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    So what's the title of the thread if Sanchez throws an INT or Ike Taylor gets a strip-sack TD? Not like we were in Pitt's territory. Go into the half down 3 and take the ball to start the 3rd....

    The problem was we didn't do anything on the opening drive in the 3rd....
    The title of the thread would be, the Jets the team still sucks, but at least they tried to put themselves in a position to maybe end up having a chance to win the game. How did things work out as they were? They sure got real close to scoring a lot of points in that second half that they couldn't wait to give up a precious offensive series in the first half in order to start, hah?

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Our defense is a joke. Has to be the worst defense at stopping go ahead drives at the end of half/game

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    What do you mean? Rex said this was the best team he has coached yet and that he is the best defensive mind! With all that going for us, you have the "noive " to complain? LOL

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex would rather do his talking with his mouth rather than his decisions on the football field.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    in the jets/steelers playoff game, sanchez was strip sacked b/c brick got burned before the half and the steelers got that last td that put them up 24-0. i'm sure rex was thinking about that play before the half. there's nothing wrong with what the jets did. going into halftime down 13-10 in pittsburgh and getting the ball in the 2nd half is fine. they just made no adjustments at halftime that were helpful.
    But, but , this is the best team REX has coached yet! Coupled with the fact that REX is the self-described best defensive mind in the NFL, there was no way our Sanchez would ever throw an INT in that situation, is there? And if by chance he did, our great defense coached by such a great defensive mind , would surely stop them dead in their tracks! no problemo!

    Adjustments? What is wrong with you? REX is a great defensive mind, not a chiropractor!

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    The title of the thread would be, the Jets the team still sucks, but at least they tried to put themselves in a position to maybe end up having a chance to win the game. How did things work out as they were? They sure got real close to scoring a lot of points in that second half that they couldn't wait to give up a precious offensive series in the first half in order to start, hah?
    this whole post is made in hindsight....

    let something bad have happened while we were deep in Pitt's territory mind you....and there would have been multiple threads b*tching about that as well...

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,101
    Post Thanks / Like
    This tells me all i need to know about what the Jets coaching staff thinks about their Starting QB.

    I thought it was disgusting what this offense did when they got the ball back at the end of the 1st half.

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I cannot think of a single good team that would have settled there for not turning the ball over as we did. 52 seconds and two timeouts to get 30-35 yards? That is basically two first downs.

    What this decision said to the Steelers and to the Jets players was that we were scared. Scared of the bad things that could happen and we had no faith in our offense to not turn the ball over and no faith in our defense to hold them scoreless if we did. We could have gone into half time tied or up by four instead we chickened out. Both teams had the entire halftime break to think about that.

    Gutless.

    Tone setting.
    Exactly.

    Really sickening the more I think about it.......I can take getting beat physically (which we did), but don't play scared man. This bothers me more than anything from yesterday

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    So what's the title of the thread if Sanchez throws an INT or Ike Taylor gets a strip-sack TD? Not like we were in Pitt's territory. Go into the half down 3 and take the ball to start the 3rd....

    The problem was we didn't do anything on the opening drive in the 3rd....
    There is no title.......sh1t happens

    Rather go down fighting and have a little confidence in your offense.......At that point we were down 3 and could have gained some momentum going into halftime

    Instead, we bowed down to Pittsburgh and basically let them know that we're scared of them

  15. #35
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see that after the cultists attacked, that people are actually having a civil discussion about the coaching. Thank you my friends.

  16. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a somewhat conservative call, but one that is made by most coaches rather routinely. You are on the road, played pretty well overall, are down by 3 going into the locker room and you get the ball first to start the next half.

  17. #37
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    940
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do think Rex was scared of a turnover there and had a flashback to the AFC Champ game. I also think he overrates our defense and thought with some halftime adjustments, their O wasn't going to score in the 2nd half....we could win the game 16-13.

  18. #38
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Detroit pretty much did the same thing last night and they have a high power attack.

    You need to look at the situation. We had the lead for almost the entire first half. We let it slip away on the pass on Cro in the endzone. The last thing we needed was another mistake and fall into a bigger hole on the road right before the half. The fact we were getting the ball back as well made this the correct call IMO. I had no problem with it given how things were playing out.

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I cannot think of a single good team that would have settled there for not turning the ball over as we did. 52 seconds and two timeouts to get 30-35 yards? That is basically two first downs.

    What this decision said to the Steelers and to the Jets players was that we were scared. Scared of the bad things that could happen and we had no faith in our offense to not turn the ball over and no faith in our defense to hold them scoreless if we did. We could have gone into half time tied or up by four instead we chickened out. Both teams had the entire halftime break to think about that.

    Gutless.

    Tone setting.
    Gutless Rex Ryan
    Gutless Toney Sporeno

    I'm done watching Jet games for awhile

  20. #40
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Jet Fan View Post
    Gutless Rex Ryan
    Gutless Toney Sporeno

    I'm done watching Jet games for awhile
    It's Toeknee Sporono.

    Don't let the door hit ya!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us