Thread: Where is the Tackling

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is the Tackling

I haven't posted on this forum for a long time. Yesterday's game disgusted me but this trend has been happening for the entire Rex Ryan regime. For a supposed defensive coach it seems that none of his players actually know how to play defense. Nobody tackles with proper technique and the CBs don't pay attention to where they are on the field in relation to the side line or back of the end zone.

Why did Cromartie run past Wallace and out of the end zone yesterday? This is a race, the ball can't be caught out of bounds. How many sacks did we whiff on because guys try tackling with one arm or worse just their hand. I am sick of seeing Maybin have a clear shot at the QB just to jump and end up five yards past him and another completion. The only way the team tackles is on runs up the middle or when they have 3 guys tackling one RB.

Overall, I think I am just disappointed with all of the talk about our dominant defense which is never dominant. I will leave the offense complaints to other posters.

Thanks for reading.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex ate it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    SF stole it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirk55 View Post
    I haven't posted on this forum for a long time. Yesterday's game disgusted me but this trend has been happening for the entire Rex Ryan regime. For a supposed defensive coach it seems that none of his players actually know how to play defense. Nobody tackles with proper technique and the CBs don't pay attention to where they are on the field in relation to the side line or back of the end zone.

Why did Cromartie run past Wallace and out of the end zone yesterday? This is a race, the ball can't be caught out of bounds. How many sacks did we whiff on because guys try tackling with one arm or worse just their hand. I am sick of seeing Maybin have a clear shot at the QB just to jump and end up five yards past him and another completion. The only way the team tackles is on runs up the middle or when they have 3 guys tackling one RB.

Overall, I think I am just disappointed with all of the talk about our dominant defense which is never dominant. I will leave the offense complaints to other posters.

Thanks for reading.
    this is what happens when your head coach keeps telling you you're great and when you lose it's the offense's fault and you fire the OC.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you about the tackling. It's very frustrating to watch.

I think because we're Jets fans, we notice it more with the Jets, but poor tackling is so widespread in the NFL that when you see a team that tackles well it really stands out. Good tackling seems to be the exception, not the rule. I get the feeling that NFL teams don't really work on tackling - especially during the season. Under the new CBA, they can only practice in pads one day a week. And teams don't want to risk injury in practice. I was somewhat surprised to hear the interview on SNY last night with Sione Pouha where he said that they work on tackling without pads. I can see how that might help with proper technique, but if you never practice hitting a player running at full speed how are you going to do it consistently in a game? I doubt it will improve much during the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't get the purpose of just knocking yourself into a guy instead of actually wrapping him up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I just don't get the purpose of just knocking yourself into a guy instead of actually wrapping him up.
    Obviously it is because there is less chance of breaking a nail !