Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did Belicheck's strategy remind anyone of Herm in the 2004 Steelers playoff game?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Herm pulled a Marty after seeing the same strategy not work. But what Herm did was way worse than what Marty and Belicheck did because Brien had such a limited leg. 45 yards was literally the outer reaches of that guys range and he had already come up short on a 47 yarder. A 43 yarder for Doug Brien was no better than a 50/50 proposition. One of many reasons Herm is now a TV guy instead of standing on the sidelines
    Plus I think at the time the longest FG at Heinz field was something like 47 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Plus I think at the time the longest FG at Heinz field was something like 47 yards.
    Sadly, there is almost a 0% chance Herm was aware of that statistic. Or the fact that Doug Brien had a 45 yard leg.

The offense from coaching to the players was really poor yesterday for the Pats. The execution wasn't there. This week will be a big measuring stick for the Patriots. Chandler Jones continues to impress.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I mean it was almost a carbon copy, right down to the FG length (43 for Brien, 42 for Gostkowski). You'd think these coaches would learn that you should never sit on the ball and kill the clock when your reward is a 40-something yard FG. Herm pulled the same stunt. We even lost a couple yards on the kneeldown, much like the Pats today. At least Gostknowski has a strong leg, Brien obviously did not. I just can't see sitting on the ball late and throwing away plays when you have Brady at QB. Dumb move. He's made a lot of these dumb late game decisions since his last SB win, no one ever really talks about them though
    I said the same thing when watching this as it happened yesterday. Very un-Bellicheck-like to play out the last minute. I don't care who the kicker is, so much can go wrong on a FG attempt. At a minimum, get as close as possible.

They deserved the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    The offense from coaching to the players was really poor yesterday for the Pats. The execution wasn't there. This week will be a big measuring stick for the Patriots. Chandler Jones continues to impress.
    Chandler Jones looks like a top DE already. He feasted on their OL yesterday.