Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jets Offense was Obsessed with getting the ball to S.Holmes

The Jets Offense was Obsessed with getting the ball to S.Holmes

I was hoping that the apparent focus on Holmes was a delusion, but checking the play-by-play proves it was real. There seems to have been a clear plan to focus on Holmes - as if it would break Pittsburgh's back to have Holmes (a former Steeler) do well.

Well after the first quarter throwing to him was pointless, but Sanchez kept throwing to him anyway. In the end it came across as amateurish obsession. So whose fault is it? Rex, 'Rano or Sanchez?

2nd Quarter
    2-6-NYJ 46 (13:09) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete deep left to 10-S.Holmes. PENALTY on PIT-24-I.Taylor, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at NYJ 46 - No Play.
    1-10-PIT 24 (10:30) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete deep middle to 10-S.Holmes. Coverage by #24 Taylor.
    3-10-NYJ 42 (7:00) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short left to 10-S.Holmes. Coverage by #24 Taylor.
    4-10-NYJ 42 (6:55) (Punt formation) 3-R.Malone punts 58 yards to end zone, Center-46-T.Purdum, Touchback.

3rd Quarter
    1-10-NYJ 31 (13:03) 63-J.Smith reported in as eligible. 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 10-S.Holmes. PENALTY on NYJ-23-S.Greene, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NYJ 31 - No Play.
    3-16-PIT 45 (6:16) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short left to 10-S.Holmes (24-I.Taylor).
    4-16-PIT 45 (6:10) (Punt formation) 3-R.Malone punts 41 yards to PIT 4, Center-46-T.Purdum, downed by NYJ-26-E.Lankster.
    2-5-NYJ 24 (2:03) (Shotgun) 63-J.Smith reported in as eligible. 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 10-S.Holmes. Coverage by #24 Taylor.
    3-5-NYJ 24 (1:57) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short middle to 11-J.Kerley. Coverage by #29 Mundy.
    Timeout #2 by PIT at 01:52.
    4-5-NYJ 24 (1:52) (Punt formation) 3-R.Malone punts 32 yards to PIT 44, Center-46-T.Purdum, downed by NYJ-35-I.Trufant. PENALTY on NYJ-35-I.Trufant, Illegal Touch Kick, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 44.

4th Quarter
    1-10-NYJ 20 (14:53) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete deep left to 10-S.Holmes (25-R.Clark). PENALTY on PIT-24-I.Taylor, Defensive Pass Interference, 19 yards, enforced at NYJ 20 - No Play.\
    2-7-NYJ 42 (14:08) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 10-S.Holmes (24-I.Taylor).
    3-7-NYJ 42 (14:02) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 11-J.Kerley (28-C.Allen). Pressure by #56 Woodley.
    4-7-NYJ 42 (13:56) (Punt formation) 3-R.Malone punts 33 yards to PIT 25, Center-46-T.Purdum, out of bounds.
    2-7-NYJ 42 (14:08) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 10-S.Holmes (24-I.Taylor).
    3-7-NYJ 42 (14:02) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 11-J.Kerley (28-C.Allen). Pressure by #56 Woodley.
    4-7-NYJ 42 (13:56) (Punt formation) 3-R.Malone punts 33 yards to PIT 25, Center-46-T.Purdum, out of bounds.
    1-10-NYJ 17 (3:30) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short left to 10-S.Holmes. Coverage by #24 Taylor, Pressure by #25 Clark.
    2-10-NYJ 17 (3:26) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 10-S.Holmes. Coverage by #28 Allen.
    3-10-NYJ 17 (3:21) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short middle to 86-J.Cumberland (94-L.Timmons) [56-L.Woodley].
    4-10-NYJ 17 (3:15) (Punt formation) 3-R.Malone punts 55 yards to PIT 28, Center-46-T.Purdum. 84-A.Brown to PIT 38 for 10 yards (26-E.Lankster).

Only meaningful if you can tell us which open recievers Sanchez passed up on each play in order to throw the ball to Holmes.

That was supposed to be the mismatch so it was the game plan. Holmes was getting beat up early here. He took some hard hits and was getting manhandled almost every play. Someone should have adjusted the game plan but they didn't. They played Holmes like he was the 6'4 220lb WR and he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Outsider View Post
    Only meaningful if you can tell us which open recievers Sanchez passed up on each play in order to throw the ball to Holmes.
    Someone else is going to have to do that work. I'm too depressed.

After his touchdown reception, he was targeted 11 times and every one was incomplete!

He did not catch the ball again until there was 16 seconds left in the game.

he's your #1 WR. he's the guy you should be going to.

Holmes is getting killed on these boards for drops, which may be fair...but he was also the only WR getting close to any separation.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Holmes is getting killed on these boards for drops, which may be fair...but he was also the only WR getting close to any separation.
    And you know this how ?? Thank god for the coaches 22 cams

Veteran
    I agree with the op! I almost think sanchez feels he has to throw to him to avoid another Holmes meltdown. I don't like holmes body language even last week in buffalo. Holmes is a disease and we have no cure. That's why pit got rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Blinka View Post
    I agree with the op! I almost think sanchez feels he has to throw to him to avoid another Holmes meltdown. I don't like holmes body language even last week in buffalo. Holmes is a disease and we have no cure. That's why pit got rid of him.
    As much as I want to stand behind Tone and believe he just needs a second chance, I have to agree. Just looking at him I get this vibe of "I hate every last one of you...especially you, Sanchez..."

Veteran
    i dont care, he has to catche the ball. you can say what yo want about sanches, yesterday the receivers cound not hold onto the ball to save their lives, yes a few erant passes, but for the most part Sanches was putting the ball on the numbers or right on the hands they dropped them. 100% of the problem on Offence goes to the receivers not catching the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    That is b.c Holmes was getting open (by NFL standards). He just dropped the ball.

If you want to get on him for the drops then fine. But Sanchez was making the right decision in throwing to him.

Can't get on the OL for this either. On the offense, tt was Sanchez and the WRs who had the problems yesterday. Sometimes Sanchez threw too high and the times he was accurate, they dropped the ball. They didn't help each other out.

Sanchez missed him open in the end one, when he rolled out and a lot of time.

Holmes was wide open (by NFL standards) that's when the Jets were still winning 10-6 - might have actually blown open the game had Sanchez made the throw that basically every NFL QB makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    he's your #1 WR. he's the guy you should be going to.
    That's both the truth, and the problem, in one statement.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Blinka View Post
    This

It's man love .. lol. I agree with the previous posters' comments.

Holmes got no separation last year so why would anyone think he would be different this year.

Veteran
    I agree, and its not just today. Since Holmes got here we have been trying to force feed him the ball. His skill doesn't justify his touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I agree, and its not just today. Since Holmes got here we have been trying to force feed him the ball. His skill doesn't justify his touches.
    the fear is that if they don't get holmes involved early, he'll pout and infect the entire offense.

Hall Of Fame
    In a game like yesterday you need to have one of your play makers step up and make a play. The Jets do not have that guy to go to in crunch time when things are difficult. Greene is not going to break off any runs or provide a spark, Holmes doesnt have the fight in him, Hill is still a rookie and probably doesnt feel comfortable asking for the ball yet. Hopefully at some point he does become that player.

All League
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease....

The whiny, *****y, primadonna, moronic WR gets the ball.

Makes perfect sense here.