Thread: Deja Vu All Over Again

Deja Vu All Over Again

Today shaped up eerily similar to an NFL Sunday last year that would ultimately shape the course of the 2011 season for the New York Jets. Last year started off well for the Jets, a stirring come from behind defeat of the Dallas Cowboys in week 1, and an easy thrashing of a hapless Jacksonville Jaguars team in week 2, both in the comforts of Metlife Stadium. Fast forward to week 3, a tricky road game against an unknown quantity of a team in the Oakland Raiders. Sitting at 2-0 tied for the division lead, the Jets got a bit of help, as the Buffalo Bills somehow lucked their way into a win over the perennial powerhouse New England Patriots. Things were looking up for the Jets as their main rival had just taken themselves out of contention, and a game against the mediocore Oakland Raiders on the horizon...

Well, the game started off just as expected, the Jets got out to an early lead, but despite having multiple chances to deliver knockout blows as the game progressed, the Jets self destructed and ended up getting blown out. We all know how the rest of the season turned out, 8-8, team in turmoil, major overhaul needed, etc.

Today, the Jets hit the lottery! New England loses to a god awful Arizona team, AT HOME!!!!!!!! Somehow, Arizona lucks their way into an improbable win (and probably the last, or second to last game that New England will lose all year), and the Jets still have their game left to play against a wounded Pittsburgh team on the road. All of a sudden, here is the Jets opportunity to take the division, run with it and never look back, all the way to a Super Bowl. The game opens up, the Jets take their opening offensive possession and ram it down Pittsburgh's throat; TOUCHDOWN SANTONIO HOLMES!!!! They even add a field goal later in the game, while holding Pittsburgh to a couple field goals, while thwarting their offensive series. Then, similar to week 3 in Oakland last year, the Jets self destruct. They go on the road again next week, similar to having to play consecutive road games last year. New England gave them a gift at 1 o clock, and the Jets couldn't wait to give it back. New England gives them a crack, a glimmer of hope, an opening of the door, and the Jets just as quickly go out of their way to close their own door, and with it, the chance to win the division. Thanks New England for losing today, at least it was fun while it lasted at 4:15....

Week. Two.

Calm the hell down.

Week 2.. already lost the division.

Just one loss and it was a game we were supposed to lose anyway. If the Jets lose to Miami we'll talk.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Just one loss and it was a game we were supposed to lose anyway. If the Jets lose to Miami we'll talk.
    This. And we're still atop the division, so chill.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The Pats had a much worse loss today. They lose at home to Kevin Kolb and idiot Ken Whisenhunt even gift wrapped the game to them in the last minute by running a toss when all he needed to do was run out the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    How much longer do you think the Jets will remain "atop" (4 way tie) the division? Wanna bet if they make it past next week there? The Patriots gave the Jets a slight crack, and just as easily as it was given to them, the Jets closed the door on themselves. This doesn't mean the Jets can't back in the playoffs at 8-8 or 9-7, but as usual they will not win the division, but hey, there's always next year!

Jets Insider VIP
    The minute the pats lost, my confidence in the Jets game dropped about 75%. I felt like we had a better chance of winning if we knew NE won.

Once I heard NE lost, i said,"Thats it. Now we have no chance of winning now."
    Last edited by Joe W. Namath; 09-17-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The minute the pats lost, my confidence in the Jets game dropped about 75%. I felt like we had a better chance of winning if we knew NE won.

Once I heard NE lost, i said,"Thats it. Now we have no chance of winning."
    OK. But how does that translate to the guys that actually play considering they came out and played well early.