Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else watch the 49'er game tonight and think to themselves....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else watch the 49'er game tonight and think to themselves....

"how nice it would be if guys on our defense could learn to tackle like that?"

Seriously. I can't count how many solo tackles the Niners made. Dline, LBs, CBs, Safeties, it didn't matter. With a few exceptions, they hit the guys, wrapped them up and brought them down.

Seriously, watching us play the Steelers, I've seen better tackling in high school flag football games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are spot on ... Our D looks nothing like SF .. We are nowhere near that fundamentally sound.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's why the Niner are my #1 SB contestant. Also their O is making the points you need to make.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched that game thinking San Fran will wipe the floor with the Jets in about 2 weeks. (And I am one of the more positive fans around here too).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank god, we aren't playing at the Stick.

I'd still have hopes after a strong game against the Fins...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1520 View Post
    Watched that game thinking San Fran will wipe the floor with the Jets in about 2 weeks. (And I am one of the more positive fans around here too).
    Dont worry...all the kool aid drinkers will be posting how great the JETS are for you.

The reality is.... REX and Tanny are not what we thought. The discipline and personnel are suspect. We are an average , perhaps slightly better than average team.

This D never wraps up a player..they hit with the body and thats it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    You are spot on ... Our D looks nothing like SF .. We are nowhere near that fundamentally sound.
    In addition to the tackling, the main difference is the SF LBs can cover too.

I understand that Harris is a very good player, but if we are all being honest, he is extremely one dimentional.

Was it his fault he got stuck coving a WR on that one route, no. But he cant cover TEs or RBs either, and it hurts our pass defense a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you were a Jet fan before Tebow you would know that in 2008 and 2009 we were an excellent tackling team. I don't know what happened. Can't explain it. Not my job to. Rex needs to figure it out and Pettine who somehow gets to fly under the radar.

San Fran is the team that we were supposed to be. But we are a fraud on defense. Bunch of bullies that come up small in the big moments. And I have no idea what we are on offense. Are we the pre season offense, the offense from the Buffalo game or something in the middle? I would like to this the latter but I don't know. It looked like 2011 all over again from the 2nd quarter to the end yesterday.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But Rex said himself." I'm the best defensive coach in the game" So are we just vanilla tackling now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If you were a Jet fan before Tebow you would know that in 2008 and 2009 we were an excellent tackling team. I don't know what happened.

San Fran is the team that we were supposed to be. But we are a fraud on defense. Bunch of bullies that come up small in the big moments. And I have no idea what we are on offense. Are we the pre season offense, the offense from the Buffalo game or something in the middle? I would like to this the latter but I don't know. It looked like 2011 all over again from the 2nd quarter to the end yesterday.
    they keep drafting defense but aside from revis i don't see any of the draft picks make true impact plays. yet, in the home opener, you had stephen hill score 2 tds on nice plays. where were wilson, coples, wilkerson yesterday? 3 first rounders. where was harris, 2nd rounder? ellis, 3rd rounder?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    What stood out to me about the whole 49er team last night when i watched the game was that there are no fat ass's playing. Even their offensive linemen aren't flubber. The starters on defense and offense are all in great shape and they are fast! I think the big 330 guys might not be the way to go in the future of this league. I don't know it just seems like the niners are just so athletic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    they keep drafting defense but aside from revis i don't see any of the draft picks make true impact plays. yet, in the home opener, you had stephen hill score 2 tds on nice plays. where were wilson, coples, wilkerson yesterday? 3 first rounders. where was harris, 2nd rounder? ellis, 3rd rounder?
    Harris is the one that bothers me the most. Has not played well in the first two game at all. No way to sugar coat it. He looks like he is running in water.

Pouha was back so that was going to take some snaps away from Ellis.

I did not notice much of Coples and Wilk.

Wilson played better than I thought he would. But IMO we can get what we get out of him from a UDFA. Some of that is the coaches fault. I don't know why they blitz him so much. Yesterday he was blitzing while Lankster was in coverage. Didn't make sense to me with Revis out of the game.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-17-2012 at 08:05 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Harris is the one that bothers me the most. Has not played well in the first two game at all. No way to sugar coat it. He looks like he is running in water.

Pouha was back so that was going to take some snaps away from Ellis.

I did not notice much of Coples and Wilk.

Wilson played better than I thought he would. But IMO we can get what we get out of him from a UDFA.
    virtually no impact plays from all these high defensive draft picks. they allowed a 10+ minute drive. maybe it's the talent AND the coaching on defense.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, I'm soo sick of waiting on Kyle Wilson to do anything.

I actually thought Wilkerson played OK and while Harris looked slow on covering Sanders, I think, on that long gain and missed Roethlisberger on the bomb to Wallace, I think he is easily the 2nd best player on the D. DeMario Davis or Mauga need to start getting more snaps over Bart. Talk about not wrapping up ever.

Where was Coples? Every time I looked for him I saw Dixon in his place. Same ol' story with no pass rush with this team. All we seem to hope for is some "good pressures". F that

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucas4137 View Post
    Agreed, I'm soo sick of waiting on Kyle Wilson to do anything.

I actually thought Wilkerson played OK and while Harris looked slow on covering Sanders, I think, on that long gain and missed Roethlisberger on the bomb to Wallace, I think he is easily the 2nd best player on the D. DeMario Davis or Mauga need to start getting more snaps over Bart. Talk about not wrapping up ever.

Where was Coples? Every time I looked for him I saw Dixon in his place. Same ol' story with no pass rush with this team. All we seem to hope for is some "good pressures". F that
    if that's the best your defense can play w/o revis, then why not invest more draft picks in offensive players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also watched it thought, holy ****, that's how an offense runs the ball and moves the ball effectively even in the face of pressure? What a concept.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if that's the best your defense can play w/o revis, then why not invest more draft picks in offensive players.
    Rex will have no part of that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    "how nice it would be if guys on our defense could learn to tackle like that?"

Seriously. I can't count how many solo tackles the Niners made. Dline, LBs, CBs, Safeties, it didn't matter. With a few exceptions, they hit the guys, wrapped them up and brought them down.

Seriously, watching us play the Steelers, I've seen better tackling in high school flag football games.
    If refs aren't going to properly call a player down even when tackled, what's the point?

Heck, if the refs aren't even going to correct their own mistakes after a challenge what's the point?

One positive I did see was our defense cranking it up a notch in the 2nd half when they were pissed, I saw a physical defense bringing the aggression, the long TD drive in the 4th quarter was bull**** on a number of levels, and the officiating on that drive was the worst all game, none of that is on the Jets D except the bad penalty on Landry.

Still far too early in the season to make wholesale observations.

Just as we shouldn't have overreacted after last week's game, we should do the same after yesterday.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 09-17-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    If refs aren't going to properly call a player down even when tackled, what's the point?

Heck, if the refs aren't even going to correct their own mistakes after a challenge what's the point?

One positive I did see was our defense cranking it up a notch in the 2nd half when they were pissed, I saw a physical defense bringing the aggression, the long TD drive in the 4th quarter was bull**** on a number of levels, and the officiating on that drive was the worst all game, none of that is on the Jets D except the bad penalty on Landry.

Still far too early in the season to make wholesale observations.

Just as we shouldn't have overreacted after last week's game, we should do the same after yesterday.

Agreed. It's the refs fault that the Jets can't tackle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Agreed. It's the refs fault that the Jets can't tackle.
    Lmao.

Or complete a pass after the opening drive.

Also, sure, Redman should have been ruled down at the 31, 32 as opposed to the what? 24? And what about the BS call we get on Holmes when Clark made a clearly clean hit to jar the ball loose and Ike Taylor never even touched him? Each team got horrible calls to go in their favor. The refs were not handing Pittsburgh the game, we just couldn't adjust to their adjustments after our opening drive.