Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did anyone else watch the 49'er game tonight and think to themselves....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    13-10 at half. the steelers figured out that the jets wrs could be manhandled. the jets couldn't get to ben, tackle or get off the field.

2 years ago, the jets may have lost this game but the defense would have stopped them more often. to be fair, playing at pitt isn't easy. out of 15 games so far this week only 2 road teams have won and one of those teams was the texans at jax.
    "Manhandled" was explained by Jet hater,Rodney Harrison.
    If Rodney says the Jets receivers were grabbed & clutched on almost every play, I tend to believe him & then he actually showed the plays to prove it.
    Tomlin took a chance that the Refs wouldn't call it & he was right. Good coaching.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Niners are the team the Jets wish they could be. Great running game, efficient passing game, stout front 7, and solid enough secondary.
    so true

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    No.

I'd really rather Holmes play like Michael Crabtree, Keller play like Vernon Davis and Greene play like Frank Gore.

THAT'S what made me envious last night.

_
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Niners are what the Jets wish they were. I didn't wonder about the tackling. I looked at their running game.

Great play design, great play calling, great run blocking and excellent running backs. All things that the Jets are medium to weak in though they think of themselves as a running team.

Wishing that our guys could tackle like SF wasn't the only thing that I saw, or question that came to mind

Crabtree was catching everything that came his way. Serious money on 3rd down conversions. Vernon Davis is simply a freak.

As for the running game, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Gore is a great back, there's no doubt, but when he doesn't get good blocking in front of him, even he can, and does, get stuffed.

It would be interesting to see Shonne Greene running behind that line with that play calling. He isn't near the RB that Gore is, but he might just do all right.

I went back and watched some of our runs last night and the blocking was largely miserable. I watched Moore pull to the left, hit a Dlineman from the side and HE ended up getting pushed back. That just shouldn't happen. Coming from the side gives you leverage and an Olineman HAS to make that seal block.

On another play, I watched Mangold move his guy out of the way. Slauson fired out to take on the LB but he targeted the wrong guy. As the guy he should have blocked came straight in and made the stop in the backfield.

Left to ponder whether it's lack of ability on the part of the Oline? Poor coaching ? Poor design ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Wishing that our guys could tackle like SF wasn't the only thing that I saw, or question that came to mind

Crabtree was catching everything that came his way. Serious money on 3rd down conversions. Vernon Davis is simply a freak.

As for the running game, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Gore is a great back, there's no doubt, but when he doesn't get good blocking in front of him, even he can, and does, get stuffed.

It would be interesting to see Shonne Greene running behind that line with that play calling. He isn't near the RB that Gore is, but he might just do all right.

I went back and watched some of our runs last night and the blocking was largely miserable. I watched Moore pull to the left, hit a Dlineman from the side and HE ended up getting pushed back. That just shouldn't happen. Coming from the side gives you leverage and an Olineman HAS to make that seal block.

On another play, I watched Mangold move his guy out of the way. Slauson fired out to take on the LB but he targeted the wrong guy. As the guy he should have blocked came straight in and made the stop in the backfield.

Left to ponder whether it's lack of ability on the part of the Oline? Poor coaching ? Poor design ?
    The difference between Greene and a good back is that Greene doesn't hit the long run when it's there.

The play he fumbled on against Buffalo should have been a 30 yard run. Greene didn't see the hole Conner had opened for him, cut it back inside, got tackled after 5 yards and fumbled.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Speed of SF linebackers is huge difference. Our geriatric LBs are just slow.
    This

Our linebackers are all slow and always in trailing mode in coverage and against the run when bounced outside. Having 2 LB's that can do both good is a huge advantage. Hopefully Sapp can get on the *^%$ing field and Davis steps up quicker than expected to help us get faster. This is what is going to be our defense's downfall again and makes SF so good. Every team attacks our LB's since its obviously the weakest link. So frustrating because we knew all this from last year, and I guess the weight watchers diet wasn't the cure all the front office thought it would be. Maybe Curves or Jenny Craig would of been the better options. Next year 3 of the 4 starters are probably gone so we should expect a complete overhaul thank god.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    If refs aren't going to properly call a player down even when tackled, what's the point?

Heck, if the refs aren't even going to correct their own mistakes after a challenge what's the point?

One positive I did see was our defense cranking it up a notch in the 2nd half when they were pissed, I saw a physical defense bringing the aggression, the long TD drive in the 4th quarter was bull**** on a number of levels, and the officiating on that drive was the worst all game, none of that is on the Jets D except the bad penalty on Landry.

Still far too early in the season to make wholesale observations.

Just as we shouldn't have overreacted after last week's game, we should do the same after yesterday.
    More excuses from the great Excuser. By the way, both teams had the same Refs. The Steelers seem to manage it quite well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If you were a Jet fan before Tebow you would know that in 2008 and 2009 we were an excellent tackling team. I don't know what happened. Can't explain it. Not my job to. Rex needs to figure it out and Pettine who somehow gets to fly under the radar.

San Fran is the team that we were supposed to be. But we are a fraud on defense. Bunch of bullies that come up small in the big moments. And I have no idea what we are on offense. Are we the pre season offense, the offense from the Buffalo game or something in the middle? I would like to this the latter but I don't know. It looked like 2011 all over again from the 2nd quarter to the end yesterday.
    It's depressing. Sanchez is at least as good as Alex Smith and probably way better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1520 View Post
    Watched that game thinking San Fran will wipe the floor with the Jets in about 2 weeks. (And I am one of the more positive fans around here too).
    We're gonna beat them and it will make everyone think twice. Gore and the ball control offense keeps the D rested. Make no mistake ... thought we stunk against Pitt but I seen so many positives. Pitt is a monster of a team. Sure they lost against Denver on the road but I bet they win 12 games this year. They can easily be the AFC to the superbowl and we lost against Pitt in week 2 on the road. There's a lot to learn ... San Fran comes to our house. The guys will be hyped beyond anything you can imagine ... they'll show up, limit the penalities, mental mistakes, jump ahead early ... I could see us beating San Fran pretty easily and everyone talking superbowl blah blah blah right away.

NFL changes from week to week. Last week we could beat anyone with out high powered offense lol. 1st quarter against Pitt people were talking about us putting up 30 points again and I don't even think we scared after that. So many adjustments will be made. The Tebow runs showed the potential with the offense, Powell showed he can keep Greene on the sidelines, McKnight even got a carry out of the Tebow package and got a nice run, Sanchez with protection and a balanced attack can get things going, Hill will improve, Keller will get healthy, etc and oh ... a guy named Revis will be on the field against San Fran which will let those safetys and LB's just focus on TE's and RB's .... we'll lock down the outside and force them into a running/middle of the field passing team .... we'll be straight. Cardinals beat Pats on sun and EVERYONE marked that as a W on the schedule for the Pats. San Fran isn't running thru us at all .... we'll clean up the mistakes watch.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    We're gonna beat them and it will make everyone think twice. Gore and the ball control offense keeps the D rested. Make no mistake ... thought we stunk against Pitt but I seen so many positives. Pitt is a monster of a team. Sure they lost against Denver on the road but I bet they win 12 games this year. They can easily be the AFC to the superbowl and we lost against Pitt in week 2 on the road. There's a lot to learn ... San Fran comes to our house. The guys will be hyped beyond anything you can imagine ... they'll show up, limit the penalities, mental mistakes, jump ahead early ... I could see us beating San Fran pretty easily and everyone talking superbowl blah blah blah right away.

NFL changes from week to week. Last week we could beat anyone with out high powered offense lol. 1st quarter against Pitt people were talking about us putting up 30 points again and I don't even think we scared after that. So many adjustments will be made. The Tebow runs showed the potential with the offense, Powell showed he can keep Greene on the sidelines, McKnight even got a carry out of the Tebow package and got a nice run, Sanchez with protection and a balanced attack can get things going, Hill will improve, Keller will get healthy, etc and oh ... a guy named Revis will be on the field against San Fran which will let those safetys and LB's just focus on TE's and RB's .... we'll lock down the outside and force them into a running/middle of the field passing team .... we'll be straight. Cardinals beat Pats on sun and EVERYONE marked that as a W on the schedule for the Pats. San Fran isn't running thru us at all .... we'll clean up the mistakes watch.
    This is real big talk 3 weeks in advance of the game. How do you even know we won't be 1-3 with all sorts of drama and negativity heading into that game?

Let's just worry about the Dolphins, who we're only slightly favored over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    This is real big talk 3 weeks in advance of the game. How do you even know we won't be 1-3 with all sorts of drama and negativity heading into that game?

Let's just worry about the Dolphins, who we're only slightly favored over.
    I'm never too high or too low. I know in that 1st quarter in the game thread u made a reference about "we need to score 21 plus to win, this offense should have no problem doing it" ... I didn't get too high early on cause I knew maintaing that was difficult cause we got some fortunate PI calls on that first drive that could have ended that drive early. It isn't really big talk. Everything looks 1 way now ... when u win its a ridiculous high and with the way we lost yesterday its a ridiculous low. I know we lost yesterday but I seen a lot of positives in this team as crazy as this sounds that I think we can hang with any team out there. The defense will definitely get this thing straightened out ... we look like we might have found a solid OLB, Coples will play better, Mo quietly had a solid game, Pouha's back is still tight he'll loosen up and he was effective before the D was left out there too long and Devito IMO is playing his best since 09. I'm not worried about the D. The Tebow package showed promise, the receivers are my biggest concern and also mental breakdowns with penalties and turnovers. If we get that straightened out we'll be fine.

San Fran has a lot of holes on their team as well and you won't see Smith making plays and shaking off sacks like Ben did. What Ben did to us ... 97% of QB's out there can't do and not many are left on the schedule with his pocket awareness & strength to just shake guys off. . We got to Ben just couldn't get him down, we made plays on defense just didn't get the calls (NFL Network showed the bell play and their Ref said we should have had the ball), ... Bri u might think I'm crazy but I felt better about our team yesterday than I did against Buffalo. We got the pieces .... I trust Rex and the staff to make it work now and the players to get the penalties and breakdowns under control. Also Revis cures a lot ...
    Last edited by LadainianIMnotDONE; 09-17-2012 at 09:00 PM.