Thread: Jesus would back gay marriage

Jesus would back gay marriage

http://www.salon.com/2012/09/16/gene..._gay_marriage/

Highlightes for our fundie friends.

The fact of the matter is, marriage has not been consistent or unchanging over time. Indeed, even in biblical times, we see a constant evolution in the practice of marriage. One man and one woman, united in marriage for life, mutually exclusive and “faithful” sexually, and joined because of their love for each other, is a relatively modern notion of marriage. Such was not the case in ancient times.

From the earliest Old Testament accounts, polygamy seemed to be the practice of the day. Or, to be more accurate, polygyny (the practice of polygamy by males, not females) was practiced. In the ancient Hebrew culture, having more than one wife was commonplace. In addition to multiple wives, men who were wealthy enough to have slaves or concubines had sexual relationships with them. Even Abraham — father to Judaism, Islam, and Christianity — when he was unable to produce an heir with his wife, Sarah, had a son by his slave Hagar. Abraham’s grandson Jacob married two sisters, Leah and Rachel. King Solomon was renowned not only for his wisdom and wealth but also for his 700 wives and 300 concubines! Over the years, marriage customs evolved, and by Jesus’ time divorce was discouraged and monogamy increasingly became the standard.

Ancient Israel was fiercely patriarchal, and for the purposes of marriage women had no rights. Divorce was permitted by a husband for some “uncleanness” in his wife, and that divorce was accomplished simply by giving her a “bill of divorce” and sending her away. Women had no rights in this regard and under most circumstances could not divorce their husbands.

In parts of the Old Testament, and at various times in Israel’s history, a man was required to marry his brother’s wife if the brother’s death left his widow childless. To be a female, or a child, without a man in the house as husband or father was thought to be a terrible thing — which is why so much attention is paid to widows and orphans by Israel’s prophets, and later by Jesus.

Marital arrangements were negotiated by the husband-to-be and the bride’s father and carried all the traits of an economic transaction. Affection or love might be present, or might develop over the years, but was certainly not a prerequisite of marriage.

Rick Sez " We will never have the elite, smart people on our side.”

Alaskan author Jim Wright says it all. http://www.stonekettle.com/2012/09/a....html?spref=fb

Rick actually says what we all know. No one with a half a brain is going to be part of today's so-called conservative movement. Which is really an ugly mix of racists, fundies, and half-wits with strings being pulled by the the richest one percent. Who dismiss these dimwits with barely concealed contempt but know that they need their votes so they can continue the campaign to cut social programs, public education and keep their tax rates down. Ironically often in the name of God!

Conservative? Hardly. What we have today are radicals who want to upset the apple cart. There is nothing conservative about them. Real conservatives have been relegated to the side lines and are impotent. It's hilarious to watch Mitt bend and twist in a desperate attempt to appeal to these twits.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    Alaskan author Jim Wright says it all. http://www.stonekettle.com/2012/09/a....html?spref=fb

Rick actually says what we all know. No one with a half a brain is going to be part of today's so-called conservative movement. Which is really an ugly mix of racists, fundies, and half-wits with strings being pulled by the the richest one percent. Who dismiss these dimwits with barely concealed contempt but know that they need their votes so they can continue the campaign to cut social programs, public education and keep their tax rates down. Ironically often in the name of God!

Conservative? Hardly. What we have today are radicals who want to upset the apple cart. There is nothing conservative about them. Real conservatives have been relegated to the side lines and are impotent. It's hilarious to watch Mitt bend and twist in a desperate attempt to appeal to these twits.
    Just so you understand, the same can be said about radical liberalism too....fundamentalism doesn't swing just one way................

Hall Of Fame
    I doubt he'd support gay marriage.

But polygamy, polyamory and mistresses seem to be on the table!!

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

Whoa. Again I agree with PK. He really DOES have a feel for cultural history. Actually, polyamory and mistresses are still popular. An enduring tradition. LOL.

JetsInsider.com Legend

This.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Whoa. Again I agree with PK. He really DOES have a feel for cultural history. Actually, polyamory and mistresses are still popular. An enduring tradition. LOL.
    Sadly, not in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Sadly, not in my home.

You must have confidence. Come up with a good presentation and perhaps your wife would agree to a threeway. With another lady obviously.
    Hey, it worked with PK.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    You must have confidence. Come up with a good presentation and perhaps your wife would agree to a threeway. With another lady obviously.
    Hey, it worked with PK.
    LOL. Oh, I'm confident. Confident that my wife wants no part of that scenario and will kick my a$$ if I pitch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LOL. Oh, I'm confident. Confident that my wife wants no part of that scenario and will kick my a$$ if I pitch it again.

Well at least you tried once upon a time. Better to try and fail etc.
    Now you know. No sense getting it kicked. LOL

This should be a poll as to what else Jesus would back, or would possibly back given he's been dead for about 2000 years and we can't really ask him for his opinion on the matter.

Hall Of Fame

on the table. got stuck with a fork once...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    on the table. got stuck with a fork once...
    Got to present it right, I guess.

But it helps when she's the one asking for it

All League
    What would Jesus say about Gun control, space exploration and the forward pass?

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Bob Barker being snubbed for the 40th Anniversary celebration of The Price is Right.

Have to say though that Jesus is a Biblical lightweight compared to some of those Old Testament characters - parting seas, battling world-wide floods and whatnot. I want to know what Moses has to say on these topics, for example? At least we all know for sure what Mohammed would say: "they all must be beheeeaaaaded."

Hall Of Fame
    He would think the tuck rule is heresy.