Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the leaders on this team?

All Pro

The leaders on most teams are

The head coach :
    Rex is a blow hard who came to the team preacing 1 message and when that message did not come to fruition and the media and the fans applied the pressure,he folded like a cheap suit.

The Quarterback :
    Talks a big game but makes a ton of bone head plays. Who is going to follow a follow the lead of someone who they may believe is personally responsible for the vast majority of their issues.

The Defensive Quarterback:
    This would be Bart Scott,he who was given permission to shop himself because of subpar play the prior season. He whose play this season thus far has been less than stellar.He who has a player drafted at his position whom the HC coach has talked about as showing some of the leadership qualities of Ravens Great Ray Lewis. Who's going to follow the lead of this blowhard ?

These r your leaders. See a problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    +1

And I'll add, as many others have said, that the team is built incorrectly. You can't win it on defense like the '85 Bears anymore, you win it on offense and hope that your defense doesn't screw it up too badly. We're following the outdated Buddy Ryan script. It's a stupid, anti-establishment strategy from a stupid, anti-establishment head coach.

Making things worse, his four-year project of hand-selecting the right mix of defensive players has backfired. Bunch of guys who are always out of position, can't get to the quarterback, can't wrap-up, can't tackle.

And the icing on the cake is that all this emphasis on the defense and all these high round draft picks burned on "projects" who have the "potential" to become great pass rushers has meant that we've abandoned our offensive needs and have an anemic bunch of nobodies that we've surrounded our quarterback with.

It's a mess.

SAR I
    This is a good post. You don't have to be a dynamic offense, but the days of winning with a great D and what ultimately amounts to a ball-control offense are dead. Rex is the only football mind alive that disagrees.

Everyone points to San Fran's D, but when it counted, it was Smith and the offense that got that team to the NFCCG last year. What good is having a great defense and no offense if ultimately you're going to run into Brady, Manning(s), Rodgers, Brees or Roethlisberger?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I have a problem with the dramatic overreaction from whiny SOJF's like yourself.

That makes me happy about yesterday? Of course not, but a good spaids player knows when to play his cards', agenda driven SOJF's like yourself are obviously clueless and can't wait to lash out miserably.

Save the cliche and innuendo

It was a well played and tough first half, I have no problem going into the locker room at 13-10, that doesn't at all mean the coaching staff doesn't have have faith, it's understanding the team's position, game environment, where they are and their opponent, this wasn't the playoffs, this is week 2 of a new season.

Calling out for leadership after 1 win against a team that was 0-1, in their home opener, with their history, given that the game was impacted by two huge plays, the muffed punt, and the Cro whiff on the Wallace TD is pure crap.
    With all the respect that is due to you I have to tell you that you are a complete and utter joke on here. Clueless does not even begin to describe the positions that you consistently take on these boards.

Good teams do not go into a shell on the 31 yard line with a minute left on the clock and two timeouts when all they need to do is to get essentially two first downs. Good teams do not do that. Scared teams do that. Ryan showed his faith in our offense right there. I cannot think of a single good team who would ever do that. That is a golden opportunity on the road to go in tied or ahead before the half and instead we settled for not turning it over. Way to build a winning attitude right there.

But go ahead and blame the refs for some calls that did not go our way while conveniently forgetting the significant number of bad calls that did go our way. Go ahead and blame a muffed punt or a bad play from Cromartie while ignoring the fact that this so called elite defense could not get the other team off the field all day long. Go ahead and continue to praise Rex and Bart for their leadership while failing to notice that their mouths are consistently writing checks that are not matched by their performances on game day.

Let's just go ahead and continue to praise the performance of the bean counter GM as he spends the better part of a decade trading away more draft picks than any other GM in football and then fail to notice that there is a relationship between the lack of depth on the roster and the the draft picks that every other team in football uses to build that depth. Go ahead and try to blame the so called same old Jets fans for all the ills of the world while failing to notice that there would not be any same old Jets fans to begin with if not for the fact that this franchise keeps serving up steady diet of the same old Jets.

Every village needs it's idiot I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The head coach :
    Rex is a blow hard who came to the team preacing 1 message and when that message did not come to fruition and the media and the fans applied the pressure,he folded like a cheap suit.

The Quarterback :
    Talks a big game but makes a ton of bone head plays. Who is going to follow a follow the lead of someone who they may believe is personally responsible for the vast majority of their issues.

The Defensive Quarterback:
    This would be Bart Scott,he who was given permission to shop himself because of subpar play the prior season. He whose play this season thus far has been less than stellar.He who has a player drafted at his position whom the HC coach has talked about as showing some of the leadership qualities of Ravens Great Ray Lewis. Who's going to follow the lead of this blowhard ?

These r your leaders. See a problem ?
    Well said, Tinstar. You itemized the major points of my origianal thread. As SAR said a few posts ago, "this is a mess."

Veteran
    Don't rule out some locker room "leak" to the press. That will show everyone how tough this team is.

The leaders are too busy *****ing for the ball, getting the ball and dropping it, and looking for flags. The other leader is too busy running to Sal Pal after to a game to tell the media how good you are, then get blown up in Pittsburgh. Good times.

Ah, Leaders, if we only would of signed Ray instead of Bart a few years ago who things might of been different.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Say what you will about that awful-throwing QB...he would have been more effective (in hindsight of course) on some of those 3rd-down plays.

He showed more fire on his one long run than Sanchez did all day. I know, MS is a Cali guy, that's not his style, whatever. The guy gets hit one time and he's done for the game. You can't play QB in this league and be "done" after one hard hit unless you're a QB that can get the ball out in 3 seconds consistently.

Sanchez is slowly morphing into Chad Pennington. Beat up on the bottom feeders, ***** up every time the big boys are on the field. He is not a leader.
    Chad may not be gifted arm wise but its a insult to Chad to compare his game time mentality to Sanchez. If only Sanchez had some of that leadership and fire. I'm not even the biggest Chad fan either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Ah, Leaders, if we only would of signed Ray instead of Bart a few years ago who things might of been different.
    ray lewis was never leaving the ravens.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Well said, Tinstar. You itemized the major points of my origianal thread. As SAR said a few posts ago, "this is a mess."
    Fans can say what they want, but it was Brian Schottenheimer who took Holmes off the field last season in that Miami game. It was also Rex who later told us how he didn't have the pulse of the team.

I feel pretty certain in saying that if Shotty was the HC,Holmes would not have the contract he has today. I said it before,but the wrong guy got Fired. I realized and appreciate whatRex has done here,but why do we always wait until the house is in flames before we throw water on the fire or even break out an extinguisher.

In our last game of 2011, 1 guy showed leadership,and we threw him under the Bus. All because his QB can't be trusted to make plays under pressure.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Chad may not be gifted arm wise but its a insult to Chad to compare his game time mentality to Sanchez. If only Sanchez had some of that leadership and fire. I'm not even the biggest Chad fan either.
    Amen somebody.

Chad had the courage that would make Sanchez the Franchise QB so many believe he is or even can be.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    I actually agree - I only meant the comparison from the scoreboard results but you're dead right about Pennington bringing much more of a leadership quality on the field than what we see from Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Say what you will about that awful-throwing QB...he would have been more effective (in hindsight of course) on some of those 3rd-down plays.

He showed more fire on his one long run than Sanchez did all day. I know, MS is a Cali guy, that's not his style, whatever. The guy gets hit one time and he's done for the game. You can't play QB in this league and be "done" after one hard hit unless you're a QB that can get the ball out in 3 seconds consistently.

Sanchez is slowly morphing into Chad Pennington. Beat up on the bottom feeders, ***** up every time the big boys are on the field. He is not a leader.
    Done for the game? He was throwing passes right to the receivers (and TE on that hot read) that they failed to catch, did you not see those plays???

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    ray lewis was never leaving the ravens.
    Says who?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Done for the game? He was throwing passes right to the receivers (and TE on that hot read) that they failed to catch, did you not see those plays???
    He was 4-4 before the hit and 6-23 afterward. Sure, some of that can be attributed to good D, and more can be placed at the hands of the receivers. But 6 for 23??

He went from threading the needle last week and in the first quarter to the Sanchez of the final three games of 2011 after he took that shot. Batman counted 9 bad throws in his earlier thread, against 6 drops. 6 drops is terrible, but what about all the throws where the receiver had no chance? What about the way he became gunshy in the pocket?

If his performance yesterday is not attributed to his confidence being rocked after that one hit, then that means we should expect more sub-50% performances against physical defenses going forward. Not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    This is usually the moment that you run and hide until next May at which point you tell us that our Head Coach is Lombardi, our draft has solved all our woes, our roster is The Best In The Last 30 Years, we're destined to win the AFC East enroute to the Super Bowl, and anyone who disagrees with you is a troll.

Why don't you get a clue, do us a favor, and disappear now, save yourself the torture through Halloween. I wish I could tell you that the Jets are going to be good and we could all celebrate your prophesy together as one happy JI family, but it's not going to play that way and you don't like it when things get rough and people speak honestly so it's for the best.

SAR I
    What bothers me most about Ray Ray is his personal attacks on anybody who has anything negative to say about the regime. I mean become a Scientologist or something but cool the attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Fans can say what they want, but it was Brian Schottenheimer who took Holmes off the field last season in that Miami game. It was also Rex who later told us how he didn't have the pulse of the team.

I feel pretty certain in saying that if Shotty was the HC,Holmes would not have the contract he has today. I said it before,but the wrong guy got Fired. I realized and appreciate whatRex has done here,but why do we always wait until the house is in flames before we throw water on the fire or even break out an extinguisher.

In our last game of 2011, 1 guy showed leadership,and we threw him under the Bus. All because his QB can't be trusted to make plays under pressure.
    I'll be danged, I agree with you.

...and afterward Rex got rid of the captain concept to appease the divas on the team as some sort of quick fix. The team has been quick-fixed down the toilet over the past three years.

He was 4-4 before the hit and 6-23 afterward. Sure, some of that can be attributed to good D, and more can be placed at the hands of the receivers. But 6 for 23??

He went from threading the needle last week and in the first quarter to the Sanchez of the final three games of 2011 after he took that shot. Batman counted 9 bad throws in his earlier thread, against 6 drops. 6 drops is terrible, but what about all the throws where the receiver had no chance? What about the way he became gunshy in the pocket?

If his performance yesterday is not attributed to his confidence being rocked after that one hit, then that means we should expect more sub-50% performances against physical defenses going forward. Not good enough.
    IIRC, I do believe that the deep pass to Hill came immediately after the hit, didn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    IIRC, I do believe that the deep pass to Hill came immediately after the hit, didn't it ?
    Yes it did. It was one of the 17 incompletions. And if Sanchez doesn't sail a pass over the head of a wide-open Holmes later in that same drive, we're not talking about a dropped deep ball.

I'm tired of evaluating this QB on the passes he ALMOST hit. Or what his numbers might have looked like if 'X' didn't happen. No one evaluates any other top QB in the league on those parameters.

That's how you evaluate rookies. Not QBs who are in their 4th year in the league as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    With all the respect that is due to you I have to tell you that you are a complete and utter joke on here. Clueless does not even begin to describe the positions that you consistently take on these boards.
    Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

Good teams do not go into a shell on the 31 yard line with a minute left on the clock and two timeouts when all they need to do is to get essentially two first downs. Good teams do not do that. Scared teams do that. Ryan showed his faith in our offense right there. I cannot think of a single good team who would ever do that. That is a golden opportunity on the road to go in tied or ahead before the half and instead we settled for not turning it over. Way to build a winning attitude right there.
    There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING you can dig up that proves this one way or the other. Rex said it today in his PC, if the first play at the 52 second mark broke a long gain, they would have went for it, which COMPLETELY nullifies your entire argument. Every team has to make decisions based on circumstance of the game, the opponent, and how the game is flowing, to me, Rex and Tony convened, called a play, weren't happy with the way the game was being played in the 2nd quarter, would have made a move move depending on outcome, they wanted to regroup at half time. The opponent plays this game too, there is a chess match happening on the field, we weren't playing a pushover team, we were playing a damn good team in their building where they have a history of dominance, especially in the opening game of the season. It's week 2, your argument is baseless and serves no purpose other than for you to get on your SOJF pedestal and start waiving your "I can do better Monday GM flags."

But go ahead and blame the refs for some calls that did not go our way while conveniently forgetting the significant number of bad calls that did go our way. Go ahead and blame a muffed punt or a bad play from Cromartie while ignoring the fact that this so called elite defense could not get the other team off the field all day long. Go ahead and continue to praise Rex and Bart for their leadership while failing to notice that their mouths are consistently writing checks that are not matched by their performances on game day.
    Bad calls did go both ways, but when a call was made, and it was so damn obvious the call was wrong, and then the team challenged the play and it was STILL called WRONG, a SECOND TIME, when the REAL play that should have been called, was a knee down 7 yards before the fumble, I have a problem with it. I didn't praise Rex or Bart anywhere in my post, so I don't know what you're talking about. I guess like your SOJF rants, that sounded good too, eh?

Let's just go ahead and continue to praise the performance of the bean counter GM as he spends the better part of a decade trading away more draft picks than any other GM in football and then fail to notice that there is a relationship between the lack of depth on the roster and the the draft picks that every other team in football uses to build that depth. Go ahead and try to blame the so called same old Jets fans for all the ills of the world while failing to notice that there would not be any same old Jets fans to begin with if not for the fact that this franchise keeps serving up steady diet of the same old Jets.

Every village needs it's idiot I suppose.
    I'll praise Tannenbaum for a body of work that for the most part is very good. There isn't a GM in this league that hasn't "missed" on draft picks, FA pick-ups, etc etc, you find me one, I'd like to see it. The Pats are a team that is successful for a myriad of reasons, LEAST of which is the performance of their GM, they are an average talent team, though the last couple of drafts seem to be better, all teams go through ups an downs with personnel decisions and turnover of their roster, the ONLY reason for the success of that Patriot team is because of the QB play. That same QB is now getting up in age, and suddenly, the Patriots look vulnerable against an unknown Cardinal team.

SOJF's come out of the woodwork, like yourself, after having to shut the **** up for a week because the team came out and did everything YOU and every other schmo said they couldn't, and come out guns a blazing after the first loss, complaining about whatever makes sense in your puny little minds, and start blasting away at every conjured up thought that has been regurgitated over every radio talk show, message board, ESPN hack show, and the local media because it all just sounds like it makes too much sense...

Instead, of maybe going a little deeper and trying to make sense of things, looking at the bigger picture, and maybe realizing that there is an opponent that plays this Jets team every week and should also get some of the credit. But SOJF doesn't want to read or hear that, the Jets lost, somebody needs to pay for it, right now, week 2 of the ****ing season...

There are 31 other teams in this league that all play the same game, 26 of the 32 teams are all 1-1 going into this weekend's games, but hey, SOJF's fans want the GM and coach gone after one loss, against an elite team, in their home opener, a place where they have a history of success on opening day...

I'm the one that is clueless and an utter joke?

Uhhhh, no... Look in the mirror!
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 09-17-2012 at 06:05 PM.