Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding Rex's Challenge

Banned

Question Regarding Rex's Challenge

The play where Bell came up with the loose ball.

That would have been a tough call to overturn based on the reply.

Anyway, my question is this:

If that play was over-turned and the Jets were awarded the ball, could Tomlin have then thrown the red flag as the runners knee was clearly on the ground (and should have been whistled down by contact) prior to the fumble?

Jets Insider VIP
    I dont believe so. Each play gets reviewed only once I believe. It was a good challenge. Its was desparate, but had to be done at that point.

Don't think you can challenge a challenge (overturned or confirmed). That's why a challenge in that instance would have been able to review ALL aspects of the play. They would (and should) have confirmed the runner's knee was down prior to the (non) fumble thus negating anything that happened after play should have been dead.

Good question.

I don't think so. As the announcers pointed out yesterday on that play, once a play is challenged, the entire play is reviewed. That's why they were making the point that, although Re3x might not win the challenge on the fumble, the question as to whether the RB's knee was down in the backfield was also being reviewed and he had a chance that they would rule him down in the backfield.

So, in essence, the replay official decided that neither the back's knee was down nor did he lose possession before the fumble. Both of which were BS, but that was their ruling nonetheless.

So, in answer to your question, no.

If a play is challenged, the entire play should be reviewable. Redman should've been down by contact behind the line of scrimmage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I dont believe so. Each play gets reviewed only once I believe. It was a good challenge. Its was desparate, but had to be done at that point.
    OK, that's what I was looking for.

And BTW, that was a good challenge by Rex at that point in the game.

All League
    Plays that blatantly obvious really don't need to be challenged.

The NFL needs to pay the god damn refs already

I think the NFL has put a mandate in place to NOT overturn the replacement referees calls unless it is blatantly obvious that it's wrong. They want to do whatever they can to make the replacements look good.

Interestingly, the replay officials are not replacement refs. I never knew this until this season, but the official in the booth is not part of the regular referee staff and no part of the referee union and are therefore not on strike. I guess they are NFL employees and seperate from the officiating crew.

bell had ball before rbs knee hit but rbs knee was down in the backfield, ball should of been brought back. refs were horrible yesterday. like that phanton PI call against steelers

Because everything has to be looked at, that knee down should have been where the play was "ended". In other words, the refs got it wrong again. It should have been the Steelers ball (that much was right ) but back where his knee touched the ground (5 yards back).

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    If a play is challenged, the entire play should be reviewable. Redman should've been down by contact behind the line of scrimmage.
    It is... the refs got it wrong...once a review is in progress, everything is taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Because everything has to be looked at, that knee down should have been where the play was "ended". In other words, the refs got it wrong again. It should have been the Steelers ball (that much was right ) but back where his knee touched the ground (5 yards back).
    You are exactly right.

But, it's not only the "refs" that got it wrong, it's the NFL replay official - who is supposed to be seperate from and not biased by the refs.

When the referee sticks his head under the hood and watches the monitor, he is not reviewing the play. A seperate NFL league official - who is not part of the officiating crew - is reviewing the play. The referee is simply watching the replay and listening for the replay official's decision and explanation.

Which is why it's clear to me that the NFL has made a decision and instructed the replay officials that the replacement referee's calls will not be overturned by replay unless it is really, really obvious. Every game I've watched has had a couple of calls that would have been overturned in the past but have been let go this season. The league is obviously going out of their way to support the replacement refs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The play where Bell came up with the loose ball.

That would have been a tough call to overturn based on the reply.

Anyway, my question is this:

If that play was over-turned and the Jets were awarded the ball, could Tomlin have then thrown the red flag as the runners knee was clearly on the ground (and should have been whistled down by contact) prior to the fumble?
    When they review a play it is from the start of that whole play, the play you are questioning it did appear the runners knee was down after contact which would have brought the ball back to approx 32 yard line but that is the price to pay with replacement officials.

The funniest part about that review is during it I texted my buddy and basically said that the idiot replacement guys would never in a million years catch his knee down earlier in the play. Obviously, they didn't. They also got the part they reviewed wrong, the Steeler RB did not have complete possession of the ball when his knees hit and the Jet defender was able to pry it away and steal it.

Those refs yesterday were real bad and it was CBS's nationally televised game. That had to raise eyebrows in the league office.

Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    When they review a play it is from the start of that whole play, the play you are questioning it did appear the runners knee was down after contact which would have brought the ball back to approx 32 yard line but that is the price to pay with replacement officials.
    BUt, the replay official is not a replacement. The replay officials are not on strike. They are the regular replay officials.

To me that makes it even worse.

When a play is challenged, all parts of the play are supposed to be reviewed at that time. If Refs were going to rule him down, they would have done it. I'm guessing they saw the knee as inconclusive.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Outsider View Post
    BUt, the replay official is not a replacement. The replay officials are not on strike. They are the regular replay officials.

You are correct, but this whole issue with a replacement officials is a ticking time bomb and will sooner or later effect a key games outcome.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    OK, that's what I was looking for.

And BTW, that was a good challenge by Rex at that point in the game.
    The problem was the scab refs. They were supposed to review EVERYTHING on that particular play. Simms mentioned it during the broadcast.

The proper call should've been down by contact, no fumble. Ball placed 5 yards back, still Steelers ball, Jets not charged with TO & get an extra challenge (doesn't matter why challenged, only has to be overturned).

Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    You are correct, but this whole issue with a replacement officials is a ticking time bomb and will sooner or later effect a key games outcome.
    I think it already is effecting the outcome of key games.

But, what really bothers me is that (at least in my opinion) the league is artificially manipulating the challange and replay review process to support the rulings of the replacement refs on the field - at the expense of making the correct call. Replay is supposed to be there to make the correct call!

And, I'm not specifically referring to the Rex challenge yesterday. It's been widespread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Outsider View Post

The replay officials are not the ones making the decision to overturn or confirm the call.

The on-the-field officials, in this situation, the scabs, make the final decision.

The replay officials are only there to notify the on-the-field officials as to whether a play should be REVIEWED. They do not tell them to overturn or confirm it.