Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Question Regarding Rex's Challenge

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The problem was the scab refs. They were supposed to review EVERYTHING on that particular play. Simms mentioned it during the broadcast.

    The proper call should've been down by contact, no fumble. Ball placed 5 yards back, still Steelers ball, Jets not charged with TO & get an extra challenge (doesn't matter why challenged, only has to be overturned).
    The scabs aren't the ones doing the reviewing!!!!!!

    This is the whole point I've been trying to make!

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Outsider View Post
    The scabs aren't the ones doing the reviewing!!!!!!

    This is the whole point I've been trying to make!
    YES, the scabs are doing the reviewing. Where are you getting your position from?

    The on-field officials have always did the reviewing and deciding whether to overturn or confirm a call. That's why the scab officials go to the sidelines to review the play in that peepshow looking contraption.

  3. #23
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, the whole play MAY be reviewable, but it is and has been obvious that it almost never is. The replay officials, replacements or not, have missed key facts of a play in the past, many times. when a coach makes a challenge he is to specify the exact part of the play they are challenging. I have seen replays that have not been overturned that should have because the coach did not specify exactly what he wanted looked at or overturned, seen it twice in the past years. I also see no reason as to why the knee being down cannot be challenged, yes it is the same play, but two different parts, Jets complained was a fumble, Pitt's complaint would have been down by contact prior to the fumble, knee was down. I could be wrong, just going by what I have seen in the past.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The replay officials are not the ones making the decision to overturn or confirm the call.

    The on-the-field officials, in this situation, the scabs, make the final decision.

    The replay officials are only there to notify the on-the-field officials as to whether a play should be REVIEWED. They do not tell them to overturn or confirm it.
    That's not true!

    I always thought the same exact thing that you are saying - but I heard an interview with Mike Pierilla...or however you spell it...from FOX explaining how the whole review process works. And, it's not the scabs making the final decisions...it's the NFL replay officials in the booth!

    I was flabbergasted when I heard that. And, it made it so obvious to me now that they are playing games with the reviews in order to not make the replacement refs look bad. In my opinion, they are actually putting labor negotiations ahead of the integrity of the games!

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,954
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Outsider View Post
    The scabs aren't the ones doing the reviewing!!!!!!

    This is the whole point I've been trying to make!
    It's their call to uphold or overturn... The replay official, as SMC is just there to determine if a play needs FURTHER review...

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    YES, the scabs are doing the reviewing. Where are you getting your position from?

    The on-field officials have always did the reviewing and deciding whether to overturn or confirm a call. That's why the scab officials go to the sidelines to review the play in that peepshow looking contraption.
    Not according to the former head of officiating now on FOX.

    He said the refs are simply watching and listening to the rling and explanation from the NFL official in the booth.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Outsider View Post
    That's not true!

    I always thought the same exact thing that you are saying - but I heard an interview with Mike Pierilla...or however you spell it...from FOX explaining how the whole review process works. And, it's not the scabs making the final decisions...it's the NFL replay officials in the booth!

    I was flabbergasted when I heard that. And, it made it so obvious to me now that they are playing games with the reviews in order to not make the replacement refs look bad. In my opinion, they are actually putting labor negotiations ahead of the integrity of the games!
    Is this new for the scabs?

    Because with regular refs the on-field officials are always the ones doing the review. They go to the sideline and review the play in the peepshow machine, then decide whether to overturn or confirm.

    If you're right, this does seem like they're trying to protect the scab officials.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    It's their call to uphold or overturn... The replay official, as SMC is just there to determine if a play needs FURTHER review...
    That's what I always thought too. But, he made it sound like they are now having the NFL official make the call.

    Hopefully, he mispoke. Or, I misunderstood what he said.

    Because, if what I heard him say is true...it leads to a clear conflict of interests.

    Edit to add: The discussion with him that I heard was during the Carolina/Tampa game in Week 1. Hopefully, someone on here was also watching that game and can either confirm what I heard, or correct me. I was absolutely blown away when I heard him say it!
    Last edited by Jets Outsider; 09-17-2012 at 12:57 PM.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the NFL wants to get through this season unscathed regarding these horrible replacement refs, they need only to give each coach 5 challenges!
    Cause so far, they need them!
    Seeing Rodney Harrison showing the Jets receivers getting held & mugged after the 5 yards on FOOTBALL SUNDAY on NBC made me realize we had no chance.

    I'm not blaming the refs but the Steelers got one bad call on the PI & the Jets had 2 bad spots, a PI on Hill getting his arm pulled B4 the ball arrived in the endzone, Bell definity forced the fumble, & harrison pointed out the blatant holding in the secondary that was ignored. You aint gonna have a chance on the road with all that going on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us