Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we miss Kerry Rhodes

Do we miss Kerry Rhodes

I realize that for whatever reason Rex and Kerry were like oil and water but I have been thinking for a while, and yesterday cemented it in my mind, that we really miss Kerry Rhodes.

We were the #1 defense and dominant in Rex's first year, and good but not dominant since.

Safety has been a weakness since he left, and the Jets addressed the position in the off season but in the wrong way in my view.

What the Jets need in safeties is the ability to cover especially against TE, and rush the edge both in run stoppage and blitz packages.

Instead, the Jets went with two big hitting in the box safeties with limited to no coverage skills at all, essentially slightly better versions of Eric Smith.

And it really hurts the Jets especially on third down when we do not have the tools (Harris is a compete coverage liability) to cover the slot and TE and backs in isolation.

Rhodes provided the coverage and range to cover and handle third down. We have been really really bad on third down the last couple years and I think it is primarily because we no longer have a player with Rhodes skillset.

This defense misses Kerry Rhodes.

No, he was a pro bowler before he went totally insane and decided he was hollywood. He doesn't tackle, and is no where near the player he was before his head swelled the size of the moon.

All League
    Was Kerry Rhodes tough? NO

Was Rex enthralled with his style of play? NO

Have the Jets had a decent coverage safety since his departure? NO

Hall Of Fame
    We miss what Kerry Rhodes was supposed to be had the potential to be.

Kerry Rhodes is the reason why Kerry Rhodes is no longer a Jet. He had to go. He went soft.

All League
    No

Yes, just like we still miss Abraham seven years later, because our GM never addresses these positions in a adequate way.

Veteran
    dump this idiotic thread

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_Jet View Post
    dump this idiotic thread
    If the thread were about bringing back Kerry Rhodes, it would be idiotic. However, the concept of the Jets defense not being as good as it could be because it lacks a ballhawking safety with decent coverage skills is a very legitimate one which, IMO, merits a thread.

Practice Squad
    Basically agree with all the other posters.

We miss what he could have been, and what he was the year before he went soft and his ego blew up.

Yes I meant a Kerry Rhodes type safety more than Rhodes himself. I just think we "addressed" our weakness by just making it more expensive but the same instead of changing the feature set of that group.

I think we need to look at giving Demario Davis and Josh Bush an expanded role on third down.

All League
    this makes the top 5 worse threads of the week

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    this makes the top 5 worse threads of the week
    Nope this is a valid topic. Rhodes had a skillset this team needs and hasn't had since he left. He's big and rangy and can get to the ball even when it's a big TE trying to make the catch. He was a huge part of the Cardinals victory over the Pats. He was assigned to Gronk occasionally and did a really good job covering and being over the top when he had to be. The Pats wanted Gronk in the redzone and it took 3 attempts to get him clear of Rhodes and it was Rhodes that batted away a pass to Gronk that stopped the 2 point conversion.

We don't need Rhodes specifically but we need someone like him. I thought Antonio Allen would fill that role.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I realize that for whatever reason Rex and Kerry were like oil and water but I have been thinking for a while, and yesterday cemented it in my mind, that we really miss Kerry Rhodes.

We were the #1 defense and dominant in Rex's first year, and good but not dominant since.

Safety has been a weakness since he left, and the Jets addressed the position in the off season but in the wrong way in my view.

What the Jets need in safeties is the ability to cover especially against TE, and rush the edge both in run stoppage and blitz packages.

Instead, the Jets went with two big hitting in the box safeties with limited to no coverage skills at all, essentially slightly better versions of Eric Smith.

And it really hurts the Jets especially on third down when we do not have the tools (Harris is a compete coverage liability) to cover the slot and TE and backs in isolation.

Rhodes provided the coverage and range to cover and handle third down. We have been really really bad on third down the last couple years and I think it is primarily because we no longer have a player with Rhodes skillset.

This defense misses Kerry Rhodes.

uhm, no

Practice Squad
    Kerry had a NICE breakup on Gronk in the end zone on the last drive of the AZ/NE game yesterday.

We never had a problem covering TEs when he was here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    Nope this is a valid topic. Rhodes had a skillset this team needs and hasn't had since he left. He's big and rangy and can get to the ball even when it's a big TE trying to make the catch. He was a huge part of the Cardinals victory over the Pats. He was assigned to Gronk occasionally and did a really good job covering and being over the top when he had to be. The Pats wanted Gronk in the redzone and it took 3 attempts to get him clear of Rhodes and it was Rhodes that batted away a pass to Gronk that stopped the 2 point conversion.
    Rhodes played Gronk about as good as any safety over the last 2 years.

Great coverage, and play on the ball, on the 2-point coversion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Looking forward to Hollywood making his first ever NFL tackle someday.

Whats next....bring back Eric McMillan threads???

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Looking forward to Hollywood making his first ever NFL tackle someday.

Whats next....bring back Eric McMillan threads???

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    If you read the whole thread, you'd see the op is NOT suggesting the Jets bring back Rhodes.

All Pro
    DUMP

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Yes I meant a Kerry Rhodes type safety more than Rhodes himself. I just think we "addressed" our weakness by just making it more expensive but the same instead of changing the feature set of that group.

I think we need to look at giving Demario Davis and Josh Bush an expanded role on third down.
    Ok now I take back my vote for dump....my apologies sir